bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Jan 2009, 14:54   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Freescale to launch netbook CPU

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2009/01...-netbook-cpu/1

Freescale is to launch a new CPU - the i.MX515 - based around ARM's Cortex-A8 system and aimed at the netbook market.

Old 6th Jan 2009, 15:04   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
If the price is attractive on these products, then I'm pretty sure they'll hit main stream.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 15:21   #3
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It looks a good idea especially if its cheap with that long battery life. Only problem i can see is you'd have to compile every thing you wanted to use on it out side of the repo's.
Old 6th Jan 2009, 15:54   #4
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
no x86 = no mainstream appeal. Nobody will buy it when it is sitting next to a windows-based Atom, unless it is half the price, which i dont believe.
It's a shame, really, but for Linux to be pervasive manufacturers need to ship some hybrid stuff first, or launch full-scale PR-campaigns to get some big corporate clients: people use what they use at work.
Old 6th Jan 2009, 16:25   #5
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
'Sadly'? Not really..
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 17:34   #6
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I for one would love a non x86 netbook, I'd pay for it just for the lack of ability to install Windows.
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 17:56   #7
seveneleven
Minimodder

seveneleven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And what platform/chipset will it be accompanied by?Surely it won't be pin-compatible with Intel's chip?
seveneleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 18:04   #8
Lilliput King
Minimodder

Lilliput King has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe no mainstream appeal, but with a 16 hour battery with a 6-cell and no moving parts some people would certainly buy it.

Like, me, for instance.
Lilliput King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2009, 19:23   #9
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am sure you could have some form of Window CE on it, though why you would want to is beyond me.
Anyways, sounds good to me even if it is rather similar to other things on the market, like the processor behind the Beagle Board (that I still want)
Old 6th Jan 2009, 22:20   #10
NiHiLiST
New-born car whore

NiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run Crysis
The only vaguely Unix-derived OS that I've found worthwhile using on a laptop (or desktop for that matter) is OS X, Linux still just isn't ready for the mainstream. It's come a long way since I first tried Redhat 5.1 but I still see it as a hobby OS for the desktop.

I swear by Linux for servers and embedded applications, but OS X and Windows still absolutely kill it for mainstream desktop/laptop use and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Sadly, because of this, I expect tales of this CPU's unexplored potential will be told in years to come when it's long dead
Old 7th Jan 2009, 01:45   #11
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The battery life is commendable... if it lives up to its claims. Yet, I agree that the inability to run a Windows OS will not make it mainstream. Longer battery life is very attractive to traveling business people, but what percent of those travelers do not use Windows or other Microsoft applications in their respective companies?

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2009, 08:29   #12
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why would it need to run windows? Have you seen windows XP on a 1ghz processor with <1mb of L2 cache? Yeah not so good eh...
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2009, 09:26   #13
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
it needs to run windows because that is what people use at work. People will use that same thing at home too, because only 1% of the population is interested enough to even give anything else a thought.

Sad and injust as it might be, to the general public a PC without Windows sounds like a car without tires.
Old 7th Jan 2009, 12:07   #14
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n View Post
Why would it need to run windows? Have you seen windows XP on a 1ghz processor with <1mb of L2 cache? Yeah not so good eh...
Ran alright on my P3-933 at the time!
Old 7th Jan 2009, 13:43   #15
Moriarty
Evil Genius

Moriarty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The netbook market seems the right place for Linux to get it's foot in the door. It loses mass market appeal in more powerful machines due to incompatability with a gamut of software, but for something thats just a browser platform it would be a great choice.
Moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote