bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Jan 2009, 21:29   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
SanDisk announces G3 series SSDs

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2009/01...-series-ssds/1

CES 2009: SanDisk has this morning announced its third generation family of solid state drives at CES. It claims they're the fastest MLC drives ever.
Old 8th Jan 2009, 21:36   #2
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i don't think i'll be able to pass up $150 for a 60GB SSD. especially if they're as fast as they say they are.
Old 8th Jan 2009, 21:42   #3
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
$250 for a 120GB SSD doesn't seem too bad at all. Except they will probably be 250 but even that isn't too bad.
Do you think these are 64GB with a bit lopped off for redundancy, or have they just done something a bit odd to break from the usual 64, 128, 256GB trend?
Old 8th Jan 2009, 21:45   #4
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
After the JMicron controller fiasco and the weird behavior of Intel SLC drives I'm wary of SSDs. It seems most companies are shovelling crap out to the market rather than developing truly market ready products.

I'll wait until they've had some real-world testing (i.e. user feedback after weeks and months) before plodding down any bills for such drives.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2009, 22:15   #5
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What about a problem I read with SLC drives? I read on Guru3D that, at least with SLC drives, the drive is only fast when written from formatted. Once data has to be rewritten (i.e, when you delete a file and it comes back around to be written over) the drive has to write it to zero, and then write it to whatever the data requires, halving the speed advantage you originally had. The only way to regain the initial speed is to format again.

Is this an MLC problem as well as SLC? Or is this likely just a problem due to the controller used (Sorry, I can't remember which SSD it was)?
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2009, 22:42   #6
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
it's explained in the bit-tech review of the Intel SSD.
Basically what you are saying is true. Writing data is slower the second time, but ONLY on SLC. It's still going to be fast though...
Old 9th Jan 2009, 01:30   #7
iwod
Multimodder

iwod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, they are using the new chipset. Looking at the spec it seems it is exactly the same as the new OCZ Vertex
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 14:47   #8
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
holy jeez........ now where did i read Solid State isn't gonna be mainstream in 2009?

i think i'll be splurging on the 60Gb soon.......... wow............... i mean........

by the end of this year im sure 120Gb is below $99................ its so exciting to have the one single most troublesome bottleneck in a PC is getting a huge makeover
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA 660Ti - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote