bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Jan 2009, 09:15   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nvidia GeForce 3DVision & How 3D Works

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...ision-review/1

Gaming is about to burst out into the third dimension and we're there to take a look with the help of Nvidia's latest effort at stereoscopic gaming. Gone are the days of flimsy cardboard glasses and red and blue images though - this is 3D gaming as you've never seen it before!

Digg this story!

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter

Last edited by CardJoe; 9th Jan 2009 at 09:35.
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 09:32   #2
Dark~3nergy
what was dat sandvich ?

Dark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
when you said you had problem in TF2, did you use the minimal HUD option or the default one ?
|||||||||
Dark~3nergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 09:35   #3
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark~3nergy View Post
when you said you had problem in TF2, did you use the minimal HUD option or the default one ?
Default.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 9th Jan 2009, 09:48   #4
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I got a feeling I did this all before years ago. In fact I remember it like yesterday it was in 1999. Asus Vr100 running on a V3800 (TNT2) videocard with the game Descent2 on a 120hz CRT. It was fun at first but then my head started to hurt after a hour or so.

But guess what! Now you have to buy a brand new 120Hz LCD monitor (if you can find one) to make it work. ROFL....
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 09:49   #5
Dark~3nergy
what was dat sandvich ?

Dark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the DremelDark~3nergy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
did you try with the minimal setting ?
if you did, was it better ?
|||||||||
Dark~3nergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 10:02   #6
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would rather fork out for a Dell 30" LCD than a 22" 120hz LCD, the 22" would probably cost more.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 10:03   #7
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
120Hz LCD - that _IS_ a crippling factor... add to that that the goggles aren't exactly cheap, and that it (from what i gather) is NV only...
Old 9th Jan 2009, 10:18   #8
Spamius
What's a Dremel?

Spamius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yep, as Obiwan said, NVidia have done this before - I had the same setup years ago on an Asus Geforce2MX - never did get it working very well though.
Spamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 10:40   #9
Mister_X
Chaotic Neutral

Mister_X has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd probably spring for it if it wasn't for the no doubt shockingly expensive monitor requirement
Mister_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 10:54   #10
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Funny, i just ordered the NIA, and i just bailed to the red team, AND i have no intention of replacing my screen.
I guess it'll take a while before i'll jump on board for these then

I saw that Zalman monitor at a LAN a while back, and a 42" counterpart too, but both of them just looked like there was something wrong, and gave me a headache after just 5 minutes.
Old 9th Jan 2009, 11:03   #11
Delphium
Eyefinity enabled

Delphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I notice in the artice that the kit came supplied with a long DVI to HDMI cable, thus would it be safe to assume then that these glasses are compatible with digital displays?

Ive already got a set of the eDimensional 3D glasses which ive had for a few years now, which work in exactly the same way as these nvidia set, however the glasses refresh rate is linked to that of the VGA signal, so have to install a dongle between the gfx card a monitor.
So again I assume the refresh signal is supplied via USB for the nvidia set.

Can you also confirm that these worked in Vista... even better x64?
One of the main issues with the eDimensional set is that it lacked drivers, specially for vista.

Ive a 42" plasma screen which supports 120hz refresh, and can confirm that they do indeed work very well, I specially like Dawn Of War for this, the menu is rather awesome but then in game play just makes thing look like they popping out of the screen.
Which reminds me that I should really dig them out and try again with the new projector.

However yet again as experienced by bit-tech, headaches do soon start to arise after an hour or so of play.
Delphium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 11:09   #12
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just to clear some points up here

The tech works on any 120Hz monitor - CRT or TFT
We tested using both Vista 64 and 32 bit throughout.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 11:28   #13
Jordan Wise
Baby called to see the boss...

Jordan Wise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whatever happened to the OCZ NIA review? I thought you got a sample one months back

Steam ID:jordanwise
Jordan Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 11:46   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Wise
Whatever happened to the OCZ NIA review? I thought you got a sample one months back
We couldn't get reliable performance out of it at all even after four weeks of testing, so we decided not to venture an opinion. Some people (Tim mainly) could get it working very well and helpfully straight away sometimes, while I couldn't control it at all and didn't see the point of it. With no reliable foundation for an opinion, we decided it wouldn't be wise to publish.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 9th Jan 2009, 11:59   #15
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
i frankly would have liked to ead your experiences with it anyway. If only the people that get it to work let themselves be heard on the net, but 90% never gets anything, i'll be wasting my money...
Old 9th Jan 2009, 12:08   #16
OnyxLilninja
Multimodder

OnyxLilninja has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am really looking forward to 3d gaming... however this doesn't quite do it for me. The holy grail for me is total immersion 3d gaming with headtracking etc, I want to be IN the game
Old 9th Jan 2009, 12:21   #17
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I might have missed it, but what is the impact on framerates? I also had Asus VR100 once, they gave me a headache sooo quick
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 12:46   #18
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh View Post
i frankly would have liked to ead your experiences with it anyway. If only the people that get it to work let themselves be heard on the net, but 90% never gets anything, i'll be wasting my money...
We're not going to publish the review, which explores the issue and tech in great detail and weighs the arguement carefully...but my personal opinion is that it's a waste of money. I spent 4 weeks with it, trying desperately to get it to work and with guided help from the NIA's designer, who unlocked special driver utlities for me and gave me lots of advice. In order to play with it I had to ground myself by having one shoe off and my foot on the PC case, I had to avoid sweating or having any caffine and I couldn't talk or move my head when I played it. Even then I, personally, didn't get good results.

The review itself was never properly finished, but I certainly wouldn't advise getting one. 3DVision is a much better buy.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 9th Jan 2009, 12:47   #19
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh View Post
We were also told the unit is broken or that it was EMI interference from our many open test benches and we should be getting better results, and there's the fact that I HAVE seen it working elsewhere (at OCZ mind you). Out of everything we don't want to give false information - it's the difference between a quality, rounded review and just a blog spouting crap

EDIT: Joe said
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2009, 13:01   #20
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
snip* any caffine *SNIP
That rules out 99.9% of people that use computers!

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote