bit-tech.net

Old 28th Jan 2009, 09:18   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Scythe Fenris Wolf

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...-wolf-review/1

Usually a company more associated with heatsinks than chassis, Scythe has just released the ultra silent Fenris Wolf. With all aluminium construction and a whisper quiet cooling system, can the Fenris Wolf prove a worthy entry into the enthusiast case market? Read on to find out!

Old 28th Jan 2009, 09:25   #2
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Ahhah that side panel reminds me of some cheap-ass case I had... I figured it wasn't worth even selling and decided to dump it.

At this stage I found out that I could bare-handedly fold the side panels twice in half. Handy, fits in a normal dust bin.

Nice review, less nice case.
Old 28th Jan 2009, 10:02   #3
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I had such a case 21 years ago....
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2009, 10:15   #4
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like a sturdy case despite its flaws. I like the drive bays lol.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2009, 10:32   #5
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I can't seem to find the case dimensions stated anywhere in the review. Am I missing something?

Also, on page 4 (Testing and Results) "someone" was a bit too quick reusing the text from the Lian-Li PC888 review...

Shame about the case, by the way. I really need to replace my Lian-Li PC61 as I just can't get it to be quiet. The Antec P182 is my first choice at the moment, but the door opens to the wrong side, it's heavy and I already sense the loss of a removable motherboard tray (like the PC61 has).

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2009, 10:51   #6
djDEATH
Habari gani?

djDEATH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
FAIL
Old 28th Jan 2009, 11:12   #7
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It does look good in my opinion, also it's a good thing to see they used quality fans and that it is quiet.
But, a 130£ case with the easy bend panels of a 40£ case? meh.. not my thing.
What worries me most though is the quality of the door hinges, those will be subject to a lot of abuse during regular useage, so why would any case manufacturer cut corners there? It just doesn't make sense, go save elsewhere please.
About the HDD mounting, they should have copied lian li, nothing beeats their easy to attach screws with rubber to silence the hdd then just slide it in.

I don't mind paying a lot for a case, but if I end up doing so I do expect a lot from it.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2009, 11:21   #8
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
I can't seem to find the case dimensions stated anywhere in the review. Am I missing something?

Also, on page 4 (Testing and Results) "someone" was a bit too quick reusing the text from the Lian-Li PC888 review...
Tee hee, that made me giggle too.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2009, 11:50   #9
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-

Tee hee, that made me giggle too.
At least I know some people read every word!
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2009, 16:15   #10
cjmUK
Old git.

cjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run Crysis
I've got a P180, but I'm always on the lookout for the next improvement. But I haven't seen a single case to beat it in terms or noise, space, build quality, cooling and cost (apart from the P182!).

I wondered if the Fenris Wolf was the spritual successor to my case, but no... another pretender to the throne falls by the wayside.

From a hobbyists point of view, it's a shame I've got nothing to aspire to; from the wife's point of view, it's reassuring that there is one less thing to blow some money on. For now, at least.
Old 28th Jan 2009, 19:16   #11
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
So far 19 cases tested and I've always returned back to my modified P180B at the end of the day :P Now the poor P180 is again under some modding to fit some new goodies.
Old 29th Jan 2009, 15:44   #12
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Now I fully appreciate that there are horses for courses and cases for... er... computers, but it's the names that get me? "Scythe Fenris Wolf?" Sounds like an anime bad guy with Ming the Merciless eyebrows. It's a bloody BOX.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2009, 23:25   #13
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
honestly overall it really isnt that bad of a case but just not something I would be interested in.
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2009, 07:34   #14
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HourBeforeDawn View Post
honestly overall it really isnt that bad of a case but just not something I would be interested in.
Not a bad case if it was 40 euro. Where it suppose to fit in the price range of the, for example, Coolermaster Centurion
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2009, 11:26   #15
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmUK View Post
I've got a P180, but I'm always on the lookout for the next improvement. But I haven't seen a single case to beat it in terms or noise, space, build quality, cooling and cost (apart from the P182!).

I wondered if the Fenris Wolf was the spritual successor to my case, but no... another pretender to the throne falls by the wayside.

From a hobbyists point of view, it's a shame I've got nothing to aspire to; from the wife's point of view, it's reassuring that there is one less thing to blow some money on. For now, at least.
I had a P180 but there's no way I'd be able to fit five hard drives and a GTX260 in it. The 8800GTX I had whilst I had a P180 was a tight enough fit!

The Coolermaster Cosmos that has replaced it is nearly as good. There's a lot more space, which is a major plus. It lacks a little of the internal refinement of the P180, but works just as well.