bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 31st Jan 2009, 23:29   #21
tominated
Supermodder

tominated has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
as you may have just discovered. acrylic is best cut using the slow setting on power tools.
tominated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 02:51   #22
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah slow and steady with acrylic. Drop the RPM down on the scroll saw and it will cut the plexi not melt it.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 04:10   #23
legoman666
Beat to fit, paint to match.

legoman666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremellegoman666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
Yeah slow and steady with acrylic. Drop the RPM down on the scroll saw and it will cut the plexi not melt it.
It has 2 settings, high and low. It melted the plexi on both
legoman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 04:15   #24
modsquad
Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

modsquad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You have a very-cool (unique) project underway..
modsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 05:07   #25
The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Then it looks like you may have to use a Dremel or a Jigsaw for the inside cuts.
Old 1st Feb 2009, 06:00   #26
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
What kind of blades are you using? Maybe try getting some specifically made for plastic. My scroll saw (Delta) worked great on plexi. But I used the wrong blades so the cuts were ugly.
Old 1st Feb 2009, 06:19   #27
legoman666

legoman666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremellegoman666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad View Post
You have a very-cool (unique) project underway..
Thanks.

Quote:
Then it looks like you may have to use a Dremel or a Jigsaw for the inside cuts.
Yarrrgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega View Post
What kind of blades are you using? Maybe try getting some specifically made for plastic. My scroll saw (Delta) worked great on plexi. But I used the wrong blades so the cuts were ugly.
It was probably a blade designed for wood. I didn't even think about it. There a quite a few other blades I can try; there's a whole container full next to the saw.

I was bored today so I messed around in the shop trying to come up with a decent design for the case feet. Here's what I came up with.

It was a lot of work making those 2 pieces of 1/4" aluminum perfectly round... But I think it turned out pretty well. I won't use this particular foot on the final case as it's not quite up to scratch. However I will probably use the design. Thoughts?

Last edited by legoman666; 1st Feb 2009 at 16:18.
Old 1st Feb 2009, 06:50   #28
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Very cool foot design! To reproduce them easier you could just buy aluminum round rod the right diameter and cut 1/4" slices off.

looks great!
Old 1st Feb 2009, 08:53   #29
tominated
Supermodder

tominated has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow. i like that foot, especially the lighting effect
tominated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 11:03   #30
The boy 4rm oz

Now they are cool case feet. I may need to ste...I mean borrow that design .
Old 1st Feb 2009, 18:49   #31
legoman666

Foot Making Process

Here's the process by which I make the feet. It's a lot of work.

First I made a template so I don't have 4 slightly different feet on my case.

I traced the outline onto a big piece of 1/4" thick aluminum.

I do the rough cuts with a band saw.

Then I drill a hole in the center so I can stick a bolt through it.

I made a little jig on the belt sander so I can easily do the rough sanding. I just stick the bolt with the rough cuts into the wood and slowly spin it to a circle.

It gets hot enough that I often have to dunk the aluminum into water. You can see the water boiling in this pic.

All done on the belt sander....

...Now onto the drill press. I moved the belts around to get around 2000 RPM. On the press I use various grits of sandpaper to get the edges nice and smooth.

Then I put the template back on and drill the remaining two holes.

And tap them.

I use a bigger drill bit to countersink the screws.

I repeat the process with the piece of plexiglass and then sandwich it between the two discs of aluminum.

All done and polished. (Or at least as smooth as I care to make it.) 1 foot took about 1.5 hours to make.

Final product.
Old 1st Feb 2009, 19:50   #32
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Excellent work, but please mount the discs much closer to the chuck in the drill press. I know it's a 1/4" bolt, but if it goes off balance the results are deadly!

The plexi you were working with was likely extruded plexi. Yeah, it sucks... Cell cast stuff can be cut with a scroll saw. You can cut this stuff with one if you add a little water to the process. It's tricky and a little dangerous, and it slows the cutting down a lot. Just don't get the motor or switches wet.

Last edited by Cheapskate; 1st Feb 2009 at 19:57.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 22:29   #33
Mino
Ganzerli Mino

Mino has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting project, Ill follow your progress!
Anyway, for the sensor probe in the tubing, use a T junction, it's easy to work with!
Old 1st Feb 2009, 23:56   #34
Nolimited
Supermodder

Nolimited has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice foot and with the red light it give a good effect
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 01:05   #35
Loom
Supermodder

Loom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks good!
Loom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 14:10   #36
legoman666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Excellent work, but please mount the discs much closer to the chuck in the drill press. I know it's a 1/4" bolt, but if it goes off balance the results are deadly!

The plexi you were working with was likely extruded plexi. Yeah, it sucks... Cell cast stuff can be cut with a scroll saw. You can cut this stuff with one if you add a little water to the process. It's tricky and a little dangerous, and it slows the cutting down a lot. Just don't get the motor or switches wet.
Good advice, I hadn't thought about it becoming unbalanced while spinning at 2000RPM. I made another foot last night and I pushed the bolt as far into the chuck as I could.

The plexi I ordered for the tank is all cast, not extruded. Hopefully should be easier to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mino
Interesting project, Ill follow your progress!
Anyway, for the sensor probe in the tubing, use a T junction, it's easy to work with!
That's the plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolimited
Nice foot and with the red light it give a good effect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loom
Looks good!
Thanks!
Old 4th Feb 2009, 04:31   #37
legoman666

PS, I need a better name. Start the suggestions.
Old 4th Feb 2009, 04:40   #38
The boy 4rm oz

Wet Tech? lol
Old 4th Feb 2009, 06:04   #39
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Wet Tech
+1

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2009, 14:03   #40
legoman666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mph View Post
+1
Yes but is oil considered wet?

View Mode