bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 1st Feb 2009, 17:51   #1
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project: Hutch (Qmicra v2) The reservoir v.2! Aug 16

Another project begins... In a change of pace however, this one isn't for me. It's for friend of mine, and since we couldn't come up with anything more creative, we'll be using his nickname "Hutch" as the project title. In true L.O.S.I.A.S. fashion, this project will fit in with everything else I've done. It won't be as extreme as my prior endeavors, but I'll still make very efficient use of space.

This time around, I'll be working with a PC Design Lab Qmicra v2. Hutch managed to procure one of these beauties after speaking with Dave Lalopa of PCDLAB. He requested one that had not yet been painted, and that's exactly what I received.

I took delivery of a surprising light and compact box...

After looking over the case inside and out, I've got to say that I'm impressed with it's engineering and build quality. The all aluminum case is also shockingly light. That doesn't mean it's flimsy, there just aren't any extraneous bits on it. Everything has a purpose... and that's exactly what I love in a case.

With the case probed and disassembled... the fun stuff is about to begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13
'to cram everything in the box, you must think outside the box'

Last edited by craigbru; 16th Aug 2010 at 06:07.
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 18:20   #2
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
NEW PROJECT!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im so exiited!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 18:27   #3
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Is that aluminium textured Craig? In the photos it almost seems like a sort of snake skin style affair.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 19:32   #4
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
NEW PROJECT!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im so exiited!
Lol, thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
Is that aluminium textured Craig? In the photos it almost seems like a sort of snake skin style affair.
It's not textured, although it does look it. It believe it looks that way simply due to the aluminum's surface prep.

Quote:
Old 1st Feb 2009, 20:12   #5
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Now that we've had a little preview of the case, it's time to go over my design goals for this case. The case comes ready for fitment of a 120mm dual radiator. That's quite a nice feature for a small form factor case. However, what do you do if you want more cooling power? Well, you add another radiator of course. That's exactly what I will be doing here. Now, this would be the first Qmicra with a pair of dual 120mm radiators, but it will be the first (to my knowledge) that doesn't make a sacrifice in doing so. Every other attempt has put a second radiator on the left side of the case, and in doing so, has sacrificed at least one slot on the motherboard. Also, when taking that approach, you immediately lose the hard drive caddy. Actually, you lose at least one caddy when adding to a radiator to the right side as well. So. you would then have lost both caddy's (4 drives), and a slot on the motherboard. That's completely unacceptable. I believe that the whole point in modding, is to add function or features, without compromising others.

So, with my inability to compromise, I've made a few basic decisions about the direction of this mod. I'm not going to lose any slots on the motherboard, I'm going to have room for 4 hard drives, there will be room for a pump and reservoir, and the interior well be kept clean and organized.

When you look at the interior of this case, there's really only one other good option for radiator placement. The front... However, in order to put a radiator there, I need to make a few changes. The stock location for the power switch simply won't do. It's time to break out the dremel...

Now that we've got the old center section and mesh out of the way, it's time to get some new mesh cut and put in place.

There we have it! We now have the area completely opened up, and can get the radiator placement figured out.

Quote:
Old 1st Feb 2009, 20:44   #6
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
oooooooooooooooooo really cant wait for the mock up pics with hardware.

You plainning on either DFI P45 or X58 mobo?
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 20:46   #7
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

X58 all the way...

Quote:
Old 1st Feb 2009, 20:47   #8
tominated
Supermodder

tominated has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
already looking good craig!
tominated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 20:51   #9
BlackWhizz
Supermodder

BlackWhizz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice nice nice!

i7 + SFF = A small beast :P
Old 1st Feb 2009, 21:10   #10
Sir Digby
The Supprising Adventures

Sir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run Crysis
Looks like its set to be another amazing mod!

I got scared when I misread the title and thought you were doing a x-qpack mod
Sir Digby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2009, 21:37   #11
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Sanded aluminum looks gorgeous!

Subbed over here too.
LilyPC V.2 - completed! • BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser! • "Movie Sign!" - in progress • CheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser! • BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser! • Lumi่re Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser! • NOTalis w/ MNPCTech • "Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 03:24   #12
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominated View Post
already looking good craig!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWhizz View Post
Nice nice nice!

i7 + SFF = A small beast :P
It's going to be quite a fun little build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Digby View Post
Looks like its set to be another amazing mod!

I got scared when I misread the title and thought you were doing a x-qpack mod
No x-qpack's here... I'll try and do what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.E.L. Ambiense View Post
Sanded aluminum looks gorgeous!

Subbed over here too.

Thanks again E.E.L., it does have kind of a unique finish, doesn't it?

Quote:
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 03:31   #13
SkyLord77
Use your teeth not a Dremel

SkyLord77 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just when I thought the Qmicra couldn't get much better you prove me wrong. I can't wait to see what you do to/with this.

Def. subscribed.
SkyLord77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 12:45   #14
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is a very nice case. I may have to look at that for a HTPC.

Looking great already mate. +sub
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 15:09   #15
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLord77 View Post
Just when I thought the Qmicra couldn't get much better you prove me wrong. I can't wait to see what you do to/with this.

Def. subscribed.
Haha... I'm pretty sure I'll do the little box proud. In fact, I'm trying to convince myself, that I indeed don't really need one for myself. I've got enough other projects on my plate right now. In fact, expect there to be another 'basement mod' thread derailment... In addition, I'm still working on Duality, and totally sidetracked myself with second design. In fact, I may even do the second project first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
That is a very nice case. I may have to look at that for a HTPC.

Looking great already mate. +sub
Yeah, it is a very nice little box. I think you'd be happy with it!

Thanks!

Quote:
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 16:58   #16
skullen
Supermodder

skullen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking good craigbru,very nice
skullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 17:39   #17
SkyLord77
Use your teeth not a Dremel

SkyLord77 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In case some of you havn't seen Bill Owen working with this amazing case here are two video's of his.

Hope I'm not stepin' on your toes by adding this Bill. I thought everyone should see how amazing this case really is. Pair the already amazing design with Craigbru's unbelievable talent and this is going to be mind boggling.

SkyLord77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 17:55   #18
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
I always wondered why no one ever slapped a rad up front on that chassis. This is going to be cool, as always.
LilyPC V.2 - completed! • BIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser! • "Movie Sign!" - in progress • CheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser! • BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser! • Lumi่re Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser! • NOTalis w/ MNPCTech • "Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 19:20   #19
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLord77 View Post
In case some of you havn't seen Bill Owen working with this amazing case here are two video's of his.

Hope I'm not stepin' on your toes by adding this Bill. I thought everyone should see how amazing this case really is. Pair the already amazing design with Craigbru's unbelievable talent and this is going to be mind boggling.
Not a problem. I don't mind if Bill's work gets pimped in this thread. It's really great stuff, and the case is pretty cool as well. A little more publicity is always a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.E.L. Ambiense View Post
I always wondered why no one ever slapped a rad up front on that chassis. This is going to be cool, as always.
Yeah, I'm not sure why it's never been attempted either. In the next update, you'll see that's not quite as easy as just dropping it in. There has to be a few minor things modded, but it's really not that bad at all. I think it's something that could be added as an option in the 'version 3' of this case.

Quote:
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 19:45   #20
Boddaker
TRON CAT!

Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.
Good to see you back at it Craig. I shall enjoy watching you work this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my brother
Is the name "Neptune's Trident" something you came up with? I can't see how a planet and chewing gum are related.
Boddaker is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode