bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Feb 2009, 12:58   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
So, I built my new gaming machine last night

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/02...pc-last-night/

Old 2nd Feb 2009, 14:01   #2
Psytek
Multimodder

Psytek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree that W7 seems a lot better than Vista. I've been getting better performance in most games I play.
Psytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 14:45   #3
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
I did almost the same thing Tim

The last month i've added some stuff to my PC, but it seems my budget is slightly lower. My endresult is very similar though:
2TB harddisks, W7, 1GB GPU an overclocked quadcore

So far, i've had two issues with W7:
1) installing the OS, it was unable to create a system partition. It was the first time i ever used a RAID array, so i thought that i had a driverproblem, but it turned out you need to install W7 on the volume that's listed first in BIOS. For some reason, my 1GB pendrive (used for RAID drivers) was occupying that spot
2) unable to install certain programs, such as skype and daemon tools.

I'm also very impressed with it though.

Great build Tim, and fun to read what kind of setup you are running. I'm glad it's not an i7 965/24GB RAM/2x GTX295/1600W/12TB RAID5/Watercooled/uberuber-rig

Have fun with it!

PS: shame on you for not overclocking a QX!
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 15:40   #4
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytek View Post
I agree that W7 seems a lot better than Vista. I've been getting better performance in most games I play.
I had a quick game of HL2DM at lunch time today and it seems good so far. I'm not expecting it to be faster on my own machine - what are you running out of interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh View Post
Great build Tim, and fun to read what kind of setup you are running. I'm glad it's not an i7 965/24GB RAM/2x GTX295/1600W/12TB RAID5/Watercooled/uberuber-rig

Have fun with it!
Haha, I might end up upgrading the graphics again soon as I'm still on the verge of buying an NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi. I need someone to tell me it's a really bad idea... but nobody seems to be able to convince me that it is.

Quote:
PS: shame on you for not overclocking a QX!
I wasn't, but I am now - I didn't see a need, plus the power bill increase wasn't worth it because it disabled EIST.
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 15:49   #5
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow, that's a serious Steam games list. It doesn't help that Steam is a hungry momma though! I've not got that many games installed, yet my Steam folder runs to 25GB without breaking a sweat. Ridiculous that it can't have a decent number of common data repositories tbh.
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 16:08   #6
Gremlin
Multimodder

Gremlin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice upgrade there tim

I'm also currently using Win 7 (X64 naturally ) as my main OS even though im tri booting Vista & XP and i find that my games are running much smoother compared to Vista (even with it heavily tweaked)
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 16:21   #7
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
Very strange concerning the P5B. I had one with 4 x 1GB modules in last year and it ran fine - I reckon you're right in thinking the slot was dead.
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 16:56   #8
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
sweet rig.. 16q is pretty nice- try guildwars on that card you can get 16q+4x aa application enhanced.. even old games like the witcher 16q override 16x af is good to go =] haven't been gaming here lately- stuff to do but mirrors edge is on the list
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 17:13   #9
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
Haha, I might end up upgrading the graphics again soon as I'm still on the verge of buying an NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi. I need someone to tell me it's a really bad idea... but nobody seems to be able to convince me that it is.
It's not... it's a really GOOD idea. I put my spending on the PC on hold for now to be able to save up for one... either that or go for 3x 24", which is actually cheaper

A GTX280 should be able to handle 2560x1600, shouldn't it? I think the horsepower race has given us some rediculously overpowered cards lately, even at that resolution. I mean, do you need 16xAF + 32xFSAA + 8 instances of Folding@Home in the background?
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 18:25   #10
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So when are you going to build me a gaming system Tim?

HUH?
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 18:59   #11
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
nice system, your p182 needs a little polishing

so your system is now: q6700 at 3.5Ghz, 4GB RAM, gtx280 BFG OC1 and 2TB of storage?
my system is surprising similar :P q6600 at 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, gtx260+ OC2 and 1.07GB of storage.

are game reviews going to be using that system? it's a very rounded system and a very good representation of current mainstream.
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 19:32   #12
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
So when are you going to build me a gaming system Tim?

HUH?
When you actually game probably, macboi

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 19:50   #13
MrWillyWonka
Chocolate computers galore!

MrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One question, why the 1TB drive as a boot drive? I always try to keep from using my boot drive for storage to keep boot times low.

I also have P182 as a server, the shiny special edition
MrWillyWonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 21:50   #14
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillyWonka
One question, why the 1TB drive as a boot drive? I always try to keep from using my boot drive for storage to keep boot times low.

I also have P182 as a server, the shiny special edition
It's the fastest of the drives I've got in my system now and most of my storage is on the two 500GBs at the moment. I'll probably get all of my photos and such copied onto the 1TB, but aside from programmes, that's about it.
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 23:26   #15
alastor
I Mod, Therefore I Own

alastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysisalastor can run Crysis
Nice rig, now get back to 360 gaming

What weather gadget is that by the way?
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 03:14   #16
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Nice rig you built there. Pretty solid work, nothing fancy... me likey. And I told you you'd like Win7.

Sorry for the hijack but Xtra: You can get the Skype 4 Beta. Runs perfectly fine on both my computers.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 14:06   #17
rembo666
Minimodder

rembo666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree. I think Windows 7 is basically a polished version of Vista--it's what Vista should have been in the first place. I run it as my main OS at home and I'm not planning on switching back.
rembo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 14:46   #18
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastor View Post
Nice rig, now get back to 360 gaming

What weather gadget is that by the way?
Quite ironic you say that, I get my 360 back this weekend.

The weather gadget is just the enlarged version of the standard Win7 weather gadget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45 View Post
Nice rig you built there. Pretty solid work, nothing fancy... me likey. And I told you you'd like Win7.
Yep, Win7 is great... tonight I'll be playing Mirror's Edge til either I drop or the system does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo666 View Post
I agree. I think Windows 7 is basically a polished version of Vista--it's what Vista should have been in the first place. I run it as my main OS at home and I'm not planning on switching back.
Yeah, Win7 is a polished version of Vista in many respects... but I think it's much more than that. Most of the design choices were right this time, whereas a lot of Vista's weren't. Moving back to something lightweight when it needs to be is refreshing to say the least.
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 22:03   #19
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I thought about picking up ME for my 360 from game.co.uk, preowned for less than 15£.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 22:40   #20
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

I played the first few chapters tonight and I'm loving it so far. It's hard to explain why... it's just something completely different and I like what I'm seeing/playing.