bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 6th Feb 2009, 16:55   #1
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
New concept (OSIDIAS), The CNC arrives!

Hey guys, I'm throwing around ideas for another new case... one that will likely be built before Duality. I've been sketching up some ideas and wanted a little feedback. Keep in mind that what you are about to see, is unfinished, and missing some key details. However, I like the concept, but I want your opinions on how it all fits together.

Okay, here is the core of the case. It's SFF of course, and it's damn tiny due to efficient space usage. I'm planning a DFI X58, SLI, full size PSU, 4 full size hard drives, pico, and watercooled CPU in this little package. Due to it's design, it should also run fairly cool. As of now, I don't plan on deviating much from this except for details like adding mesh, or possibly windows.

I was then inspired by a RED camera cage I saw, and wanted to add a more industrial and sci-fi look to the case. The following is what I came up with. Of course it's subject to revision, but wasn't sure how it all fit together.

Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13
'to cram everything in the box, you must think outside the box'

Last edited by craigbru; 16th Mar 2010 at 17:32.
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2009, 17:32   #2
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I like it. Have you got the insides finalized?
Cheapskate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2009, 17:40   #3
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thank you. The inside is about 75% complete. Everything will be mounted to an expanded motherboard tray. Meaning that the entire assembly will slide out of the rear of the case. That includes the radiator and loop as well. The only thing still in the case would be the fans on the left side, and the hard drives.

Quote:
Old 6th Feb 2009, 17:40   #4
murtoz
Busy procrastinating

murtoz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the concept a lot! The 'frame'/'handles' you added gives it that bit extra... Makes it look finished somehow. But it does seem that it's sticking out quite far on the sides making the whole thing quite wide - I'd prefer it a bit closer in. Otherwise you may as well build a full ATX case ;-)
murtoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2009, 17:46   #5
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Sounds like we're on the same page. I had thought about narrowing the frame up a little. I guess it's hard to get a sense of scale here. The case as it is now, is only 37 cm (14.5") deep, and that's the largest dimension.

Quote:
Old 6th Feb 2009, 19:01   #6
murtoz
Busy procrastinating

murtoz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The side handles currently bulge outward. How about if they would bulge inwards?
Front view:
Code:
-------------
|  |||||||  |
\  |||||||  /
 | ||||||| |
 | ||||||| |
/  |||||||  \
|  |||||||  |
-------------
(Don't you just love ASCII art?)
murtoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2009, 20:51   #7
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

The ASCII art is a very nice touch. I approve! It's a pretty simple step to invert the sides. I'll do that when I got home and post up.

Quote:
Old 6th Feb 2009, 21:13   #8
slisgrinder
Supermodder

slisgrinder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Kewl modeling skillz, is it in Maya? of 3dsMax? or if I am stupid and I don't realize that is sketchup...
WIP: SE7ENTH COLUMN (AKA: World Community Grid project)
slisgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2009, 21:20   #9
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Nah, it's none of the above. It's actually ViaCAD, and I'm man enough to admit that I love it...

Quote:
Old 6th Feb 2009, 21:20   #10
slisgrinder
Supermodder

kewl...
Old 6th Feb 2009, 23:28   #11
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Inverting the handle curves would make it look more square, as would bringing them in. The way you have it now is much better. It breaks up the cube-iness.
I like the idea of a one-piece frame. I can tell you from experience to be careful about the cables. Plank has a special set of 'shoe horns' for assembly purposes. The more space you have between the walls and the frame, the better.
Cheapskate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2009, 02:33   #12
slisgrinder
Supermodder

I like the way the rad is sitting, gives it a more of an nuclear detonator kind of look...
GIVE US MORE!!!
Old 8th Feb 2009, 02:41   #13
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtoz View Post
The side handles currently bulge outward. How about if they would bulge inwards?
Front view:
Code:
-------------
|  |||||||  |
\  |||||||  /
 | ||||||| |
 | ||||||| |
/  |||||||  \
|  |||||||  |
-------------
(Don't you just love ASCII art?)
Okay, I tried inverting the sides... and it's horrible. I'm not even going to bother posting the results. It simply doesn't fit the rest of the case at all. Lol, the ASCII art looks so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Inverting the handle curves would make it look more square, as would bringing them in. The way you have it now is much better. It breaks up the cube-iness.
I like the idea of a one-piece frame. I can tell you from experience to be careful about the cables. Plank has a special set of 'shoe horns' for assembly purposes. The more space you have between the walls and the frame, the better.
Thanks Cheaps, I'll play a little more, but every time I try and deviate, the result looks much worse than what I have.

I'll be wary of the cables. Either that, or I'll use touch contacts like I did on the Rogue. No wires at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slisgrinder View Post
I like the way the rad is sitting, gives it a more of an nuclear detonator kind of look...
GIVE US MORE!!!
Thanks man. Just wait until you see it finished off. There's so many little things missing right now.

Quote:
Old 8th Feb 2009, 16:55   #14
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

I've been playing around... what do you think of holes? Or maybe some variation of this?

Quote:
Old 8th Feb 2009, 21:04   #15
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Perhaps the holes should be more rectangular so they would fit with the look of those cooling ribs.
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2009, 21:34   #16
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Cool compact design you got going there dude, What about adding some ally tubing in the front and rear of the case through those holes? would give some more protection and also another viable way to carry it :P could even sink some dials into the ends for fans etc.
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2009, 21:44   #17
tranc3
ADHD Modder

tranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thats a sick design man. I personally think there should be somethign above the 2 fans in the last photo, something.still looks fantastic.
Old 9th Feb 2009, 02:56   #18
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javerh View Post
Perhaps the holes should be more rectangular so they would fit with the look of those cooling ribs.
Interesting... I'll look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
Cool compact design you got going there dude, What about adding some ally tubing in the front and rear of the case through those holes? would give some more protection and also another viable way to carry it :P could even sink some dials into the ends for fans etc.
Well, in order to add tubing, I'd have to bring the front and the rear, forward and rearward respectively. There isn't enough clearance to do that right now. Also, I'm going to trying to integrate a 7" touchscreen LCD to the front. However, just for fun, I did a quick and dirty preview of what you mentioned... It just didn't fit with the rest of the case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranc3 View Post
Thats a sick design man. I personally think there should be somethign above the 2 fans in the last photo, something.still looks fantastic.
Thank you. I'm looking to add something there. In fact, I'm working on something right now...

Okay, regarding the LCD I mentioned above... My last 3 mods have had one. In fact, I don't know if I could build a case for myself without one. Also, since this case will have another pico-itx on board, it's also needed for that. The question is, how the heck do I mount it so it doesn't look tacked on?

Here is the LCD in it's approximate position...

Quote:
Old 9th Feb 2009, 04:10   #19
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Okay, one more here. I added vents to the side panels. What do you think... too many holes? They will have mesh behind them, with the exception of the most forward hole, that will have a window...

Quote:
Old 9th Feb 2009, 08:39   #20
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Was bored while having my coffee this morning and thought id have a play on how you could mount that LCD didnt have much time but heres the idea I was thinking

Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode