bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Feb 2009, 15:24   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Far Cry 2 gets hardcore mode update

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-mode-update/1

Ubisoft has announced a new hardcore update which will give an extra layer of difficulty to the game.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2009, 15:32   #2
karx11erx
Multimodder

karx11erx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They should rather patch the single player game.
Old 9th Feb 2009, 15:37   #3
roshan
Modder

roshan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really disappointed with Far Cry2.When i was playing R6 Vegas 2 a few moths before the release of Far Cry 2 i thought this must be a Hit.( Vegas 2 showed in game banners of Far Cry 2.)
Problem with Far Cry 2 is it does not make you curious to proceed.You don't get the feeling of fun, to move to next objective.Game was designed well.But lacks gaming depth.
Hard core mode must add something for players who still play FC2.But for me it was uninstalled and no sign of a track in registry even.
roshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2009, 16:55   #4
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I must admit, I was massively disappointed with FC2. It's the lack of immersion that gets me down and after an hour I lose interest because they just don't have enough gripping story to make me actually give a hoot about the main character (who you play as) and any other character in the game, let alone the whole fraction war going on.

Contracting influenza in the game didn't make it enjoyable or aid the story in anyway (for me) if anything it became a annoyance and really didn't make me want to continue.

I like the fact it's massively open, that's pretty cool and the engine I'm pretty impressed with (not the AI though) and can't help but feel it has A LOT of potential. I'm looking forward to someone really getting the best out of that engine.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2009, 17:17   #5
LeMaltor
>^_^<

LeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the DremelLeMaltor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
People still play this rubbish?
Old 9th Feb 2009, 17:48   #6
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
the only game in the last year or more that i couldnt bring myself to finish, not fun at all, just a long dredge. looks great and the multiplayer is fun but the single player doesnt feel like a story at all
Old 9th Feb 2009, 18:28   #7
Cobalt
Supermodder

Cobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its so frustrating when you can hose a guy down and he falls over only for him to dust himself off and shoot you in the back once you've walked past him. Not to mention the stupid checkpoint respawns. Its like you have no effect on the game at all. Putting this hardcore option into the single player might make it interesting.

Pretty game though despite its glaring faults.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2009, 19:49   #8
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
It's good that the only thing this has in common with the first game, is the name.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2009, 20:06   #9
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Putting this hardcore option into the single player might make it interesting.
Seconded, but it'd take more than that. Option to bribe your way through checkpoints, friendly checkpoints, prone shooting, and noticeable differences within classes of weapons would be good. I mean, what's the functional difference between the huge .50 cal semi-auto sniper rifle, and the middling Dragunov? Why can I hit anything right out to the horizon with the dart rifle?

The stealth stuff does identifiably work and is fun, but there's no incentive to get tooled up, no incentive to get good with the weapons, because they're all so unstoppable.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2009, 20:16   #10
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd
It's good that the only thing this has in common with the first game, is the name.
Not quite, enemies are still the "best-est" shots in the universe, managing to thread bullets though microscopic gaps, and snipers managing to put a bullet though a truck window from 500m away you while your doing 100mph

I'm now at 50% completion of this game, and its a massive grind. I have no idea how Joe gave this 9/10, its about as average as a FPS can get.

Hardcore mode for single player would be ace, as long as you turned down the accuracy of the AI, 500m shots from a AK on full auto? Hmm.. no
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Feb 2009, 20:45   #11
Trefarm
No matter what... It's all good

Trefarm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I though it was just me that got bored of it...

It looked amazing, but it was just the same thing over and over again... drive through checkpoint / stop and get on gun / shoot two guys in truck / shoot guys on foot / get out fix truck / drive to next checkpoint... I guess all those 9 outta 10 reviewers didn't play it for long.
Old 10th Feb 2009, 02:53   #12
mike_beef
Minimodder

mike_beef has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the repetitiveness was really annoying. i'd had enough at 54% and stopped playing. the excitement for me was when you could team up with other mercenaries and i'm sure they said they were gonna be your competition throughout the game. all they function as is the 'easy' option when completing story missions. they're too predictable - go to a bar, do another same mission, now they're your friend - gives you a second go when you die. thats about as pointless as having lives when you've got quick save/load.

good engine. nice graphics and even good playability. got really pulled down by the poor story, no involvement with your character, or other characters.
mike_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2009, 13:39   #13
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
i enjoyed the playability but getting from one place to the other was too annoying

every mission had you tracking to the far side of the map to find the guy

and until they fix some glaringly obvious realism problems (checkpoints respawn) im not going to replay this until that is fixed

on another note i watched 24 redemption teh other day and had a huge urge to play again this genre (african baddies) has such huge potential i just feel that this game was a little short hopefully they can get closer with far cry 3
Old 10th Feb 2009, 14:42   #14
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefarm View Post
I though it was just me that got bored of it...

It looked amazing, but it was just the same thing over and over again... drive through checkpoint / stop and get on gun / shoot two guys in truck / shoot guys on foot / get out fix truck / drive to next checkpoint... I guess all those 9 outta 10 reviewers didn't play it for long.
Yeah, that was exactly my reaction and I'm only 12% through the game! However, I'm still enjoying it because I've started experimenting with the weapons a bit. I ditched the machine gun for a sniper rifle for starters, which made me play it differently. Otherwise, yes, it's exaclty the same. What also irritates me is that if you drive about 500m away from a checkpoint, then drive back again, the three guards have magically re-appeared.

And why does *everyone* shoot you on sight?
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2009, 16:05   #15
roshan
Modder

roshan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
read these comments ubisoft(my god)
roshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2009, 21:16   #16
The Growler
What's a Dremel?

The Growler has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Liked the original better

I really liked Far Cry. I must have played it 100 times and the last was almost as fun as the first. Beautiful graphics, lots of different tactics to try on each map and I still jump when some freaky mutant sneaks up behind me.
But Far Cry 2 was a disappointment. Not that it can't be fun, but things like the terrible voice acting (running all their words together), driving for miles, never seeming to be progressing on the main objective plus all the things others have mentioned make it tedious.
The Growler is offline   Reply With Quote