bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Feb 2009, 21:23   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel details first CPU with integrated GPU

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...tegrated-gpu/1

As if the demonstration of the world’s first 32nm process technology wasn’t enough, Intel has also announced a treasure chest of new products.

Old 10th Feb 2009, 21:27   #2
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
I dont need more than my q6600. In fact I have been thinking of replacing it with a faster dual core that I can overclock farther.
There just isn't the support in games for more than two and I would rather have the higher clock speed.
Old 10th Feb 2009, 21:33   #3
Jenny_Y8S

So will I be able to swap out my i7 920 for a Gulftown on my P6T? Or is it another round of MB upgrades?
Old 10th Feb 2009, 21:59   #4
Pookeyhead
It's big, and it's clever.

Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.
I bet it's a new socket. Always bloody well is. This used to be a minor irritation, but lately, with more and more layers being used in MB PCBs, it's now a major issue: £200+ for a new MB is now something you don't wanna be doing too regularly. I miss the days of high end MBs being £80
MAIN RIG |Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHz ¦¦ Asus Rampage IV Extreme ¦¦ 16Gb Mushkin DDR3 2133 ¦¦ 512GB Samsung 830 SSD ¦¦ 4TB of HDD Storage ¦¦ 4GB EVGA GTX670 Superclocked SLI ¦¦ Corsair 650D ¦¦ Eizo ColorEdge CG303W & Dell 2007FP ¦¦ Logitech Z623
EARTH| Celeron E3200 ¦¦ Gigabyte G31M-ES2L ¦¦ LSI SAS9260-8i ¦¦ 3TB RAID5 ¦¦ Headless - VNC administered
MOON | Thecus N3200pro 3TB RAID5
Pookeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2009, 23:54   #5
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Clarkdale - now THIS is going to be crap. Intel has a incredibly long tradition of making completely unusable IGPs. And I don't even think about gaming, the 950 is sluggish even with flash. I'm waiting for next move from AMD, there is a wise saying - "Intel does it first, AMD does it right".
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 00:05   #6
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
i do not really see the point in creating more and more cores... how many applications have more than 2 treads? some video and data encryption/decryption software. ok, but that is not mainstream is it? are there no more significant core improvements sought after?
alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 00:18   #7
haakon.t
:)

haakon.t has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't get the point with putting a cpu and gpu on the same chip. I know it's going to be smaller and all that, but I just don't see why someone would sacrifice so much performance in gpu (and probably cpu) power just to get a more compact solution. I may seem like an idiot to some now, but I really can't see a market for this chip.

As some of you may already have seen I'm not too well informed about this gpu-cpu-thingy, so please enlighten me if what I say make you want to put two fingers in your throat and violate your cat or something...
Old 11th Feb 2009, 00:32   #8
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon.t View Post
I don't get the point with putting a cpu and gpu on the same chip. I know it's going to be smaller and all that, but I just don't see why someone would sacrifice so much performance in gpu (and probably cpu) power just to get a more compact solution. I may seem like an idiot to some now, but I really can't see a market for this chip.

As some of you may already have seen I'm not too well informed about this gpu-cpu-thingy, so please enlighten me if what I say make you want to put two fingers in your throat and violate your cat or something...
I look at it as more of a work in progress. They have to somewhere, and I for one welcome this new product.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 02:42   #9
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
any word about larrabee?
Old 11th Feb 2009, 02:57   #10
iwod
Multimodder

iwod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I seriously hope Intel does get things right this time around with their GPU. X4500 is Sh*t. Their HD decoding does not even work either. ( Compare to how easy it is on Geforce )
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 03:09   #11
Lazarus Dark
Supermodder

Lazarus Dark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I know most on here are focused on gaming, but there is still a very dedicated HTPC crowd. I'm almost tempted by the Ion platform, but I'll hold off for these CPU+ GPU procs. Imagine how small an HTPC could be? Integrate a digital OTA TV reciever on an ITX board, add a 500GB 2.5" HDD and slim bluray drive, and you could have a fully functional (even well performing) HTPC in a package the size of a Nintendo Wii, all with absolutely no compromises. And I bet it would cost only 300$USD.

I recently built my mother and sister a multiuse PC with the Nvidia 9300 and an E8500. I use a q6600 and an nvidia 8800GT, and if it weren't for gaming, I'd be a bit jealous of the speedy little comp I built them for less than $400.
Old 11th Feb 2009, 08:27   #12
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mo
I'm waiting for next move from AMD, there is a wise saying - "Intel does it first, AMD does it right".
Ok, so where was AMD "doing it right" after Intel released the CoreDuo/Core2 chips hmmmm????
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 09:00   #13
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikumba
Quote:
I'm waiting for next move from AMD, there is a wise saying - "Intel does it first, AMD does it right".
Ok, so where was AMD "doing it right" after Intel released the CoreDuo/Core2 chips hmmmm????
Still trying to get it right. And while Intel forces you to buy a new motherboard every time a new CPU is released. AMD is winning the hearts of many people who just pop in the new AMD processor in their two year old motherboard and are happy with it.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 09:39   #14
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What? AMD have more sockets than you can shake an underperforming processor at...
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 09:48   #15
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon.t View Post
I don't get the point with putting a cpu and gpu on the same chip.
Ah..but it's not...it's a multi-chip-package...meaning ist like a small pcb on which they stuck the CPU and seperately the GPU and maybe even an extra controller chip.

The real speedbump (and energysavebump, good for notebooks) should come from an integrated silicon.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 09:57   #16
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n View Post
What? AMD have more sockets than you can shake an underperforming processor at...
I think it is quite even:

AMD:
A
AM2
AM2+
AM3

Intel:
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 10:03   #17
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
I think it is quite even:

AMD:
A
AM2
AM2+
AM3

Intel:
You forgot the 940, and 754, 754 was single channel, 940 replaced it with dual channel support, but then 940 was put back and replaced with 939, only to resurface as AM2.

Intergrated graphics with in the CPU package, this is great news for the moblie market, easier to cool aswell as there would only be two hotspots the chip and chipset.

Nvidia showed the ION plateform which was about the size of a PICO, this developement could mean smaller than a PICO with HD playback! awesome! Seems more of a developement for moblie devices like netbooks and HTPC set top boxes.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 11:07   #18
Nikumba
Supermodder

Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Nikumba is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikumba
Quote:
Still trying to get it right. And while Intel forces you to buy a new motherboard every time a new CPU is released. AMD is winning the hearts of many people who just pop in the new AMD processor in their two year old motherboard and are happy with it.
Well if they are still trying then someone should get on with it.

Intel has not required a change of socket since the P4 chip. Now considering Core2 was released in July 2006, nearly 3 years ago, and the Core Duo was around for a year or so before that, that is a good 4 years for a socket life.

AMD released socket 939 in June 2004 and was replaced by AM2 in the May of 2006. Now the AM2 socket could only accept upto Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2, Athlon 64 FX, Opteron, Sempron, Phenom. AM2+ was released a YEAR later to accept the Phenom II chips. AM3 is being released this year with support for DDR3.

So in the time intel have had ONE socket on the market for desktops, AMD have had 3, or 4 if you include the AM3.

So it is not unreasonable to except Intel to release a new socket with a new processor.

Kimbie
Nikumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2009, 13:19   #19
Horizon
Dremel Worthy

Horizon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
any one one who start's the "AMD has more sockets than you can shake a stick at" arguement should be flamed to hell and back

@Burnout - you forgot to mention obiwan that obi wan forgot

AMD

Desktop:
Super 7
Slot A
AM2/AM2+
AM3

Server:

1207/1207+
G34

Intel

Desktop:

Slot 1
Socket N
LGA 715
LGA 775
LGA 1366

Server:

Socket 8
Slot 2
LGA 771

So in the time intel have had ONE socket on the market for desktops, AMD have had 3, or 4 if you include the AM3.[/QUOTE]

@Nikumba, I didn't even want to get into chipsets, but your saying i could use a Yorkfield in an 850 board better yet a 975X board, right? Everytime intel changed chipsets it would be the AMD equivalent of adding a + next to the socket name so right now it's really LGA775+++++++++
Old 11th Feb 2009, 13:47   #20
hawky84
SilentModder

hawky84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well this should keep the core whores happy for a little while

Q6600, Asus P5K-E WiFi, Corsair XMS2 2GB, Gainward 8800GT Gold Sample, WD Caviar SE16 500GB (x2), OCZ StealthXStream 600Watt, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Akasa Amber 120mm (x3), Akasa Fan Controller, Antec Sonata
hawky84 is offline   Reply With Quote