bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Feb 2009, 10:11   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Amazon's Kindle in copyright kerfuffle

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ht-kerfuffle/1

Amazon's latest incarnation of its Kindle ebook reader introduces text-to-speech capabilities - but at least one publisher is claiming it violates copyright law.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2009, 10:54   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Douchebag. Case closed.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2009, 11:15   #3
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
Douchebag. Case closed.
+1
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2009, 11:19   #4
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrmot View Post
+1
+33345325352

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it

Last edited by naokaji; 12th Feb 2009 at 11:27.
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2009, 12:08   #5
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
most pathetic patent... how many times have i heard/read this?
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2009, 13:28   #6
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is really silly. Does the "voice" even sound any good?
Old 12th Feb 2009, 13:56   #7
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
most pathetic patent... how many times have i heard/read this?
Well, if the publishers have their way, you should only be able to read it. You'd need to pay extra to be able to hear it
Old 12th Feb 2009, 19:44   #8
Drexial
Supermodder

Drexial has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With rediculous copyrights like this, no wonder the arts are dying. Technically it's illegal for me to barrow a book from a friend, theoretically the libraries are illegal as well. This is absolutely rediculous.
Drexial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2009, 22:18   #9
teh DG
What's a Dremel?

teh DG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I suspect this is down to one or both of two things:
1) they copyright holder has sold rights to a third party and is contractually bound to enforce the rights,
2) it's being used as a negotiating tool to increase royalties. Copyright holders may be inclined to agree one thing when a product's success is unknown, and then want something better once the product is a proven success (and the other company is in a poor bargaining position, to boot). Company A takes a risk and it pays off, company B starts thinking it "deserves" a bigger share of the spoils it never took any risk for. Well, companies are hardly unique in this.
teh DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2009, 22:29   #10
Joeymac
Multimodder

Joeymac has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This should set a legal precedent... Amazon's sole defence is telling them to **** off.
Joeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2009, 23:46   #11
cyrilthefish
Ultramodder

cyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysis
Random question:

Is it just me or is 99% of patent litigation nowadays nothing but sheer greed attempting to destroy innovation?

Pretty much every single thing patent related in the past few years has resulted in a urge to *facepalm* so far...
English patent law is bad enough, but at least we don't have software patents *yet*.

I just can't help thinking that the entire patent system is so broken now it should just be scrapped and started over, it seems it only exists to feed patent trolls nowadays
cyrilthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2009, 01:06   #12
The Jambo
Last on the scene

The Jambo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilthefish
Is it just me or is 99% of patent litigation nowadays nothing but sheer greed attempting to destroy innovation?

Pretty much every single thing patent related in the past few years has resulted in a urge to *facepalm* so far...
Every patent related lawsuit anyway, yes. I havent really seen one that didnt result in a facepalm.
The Jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2009, 01:17   #13
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
my patent troll detector has just exploded from the insane amount of stupidity of this act!!
Old 13th Feb 2009, 09:45   #14
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Well...i can understand the part about "rights for audiobooks sold seperately"
Especially since audiobooks seem to be a growing market.

It's the only part that makes any kind of sense, though
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2009, 12:58   #15
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I was just wondering... If I read the through my glasses the letters will/might be distorted. SURELY that makes the information reaching my eyes derivative as well. Subsequently my glasses need to be "authorized" to do the reading process. At a fee, of course.
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2009, 13:32   #16
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
I was just wondering... If I read the through my glasses the letters will/might be distorted. SURELY that makes the information reaching my eyes derivative as well. Subsequently my glasses need to be "authorized" to do the reading process. At a fee, of course.
Worse, they could act as a mirror and someone else could see the text, since that would be too hard to enforce as a law I'd suggest going to jail 5 years before you purchase the product containing the information just to make sure.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2009, 21:36   #17
nicae
Multimodder

nicae has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I say sue the punk who's voice is replicated by the Kindle! He's the one distributing the content without a license to people's ears! :B
C2D E8400 :: PNY 8800GT 512MB :: 2x2GB G.SKILL Pi Black DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 :: Asus Maximus Formula :: WindowsXP SP3 :: 2x320GB HDDs RAID0 :: Zalman CNPS9500 LED :: OCZ Freeze :: SevenTeam ST-550PAG 550W
nicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2010, 17:42   #18
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I guess human kind is getting a little bit too much addicted to law suits... Everything done is prone to be in court just because one little piggy tried to make a fuss out of it. Pretty much almost every news is about a court case that envolves some sort of jackassery rights violation...

Ok, he said that Amazon should be praised for having developed a tool for the visually impaired but would someone try to make this into a app you should buy if you want the book to be read out loud?

Jeez, that's why lawyers are getting fatter and rich
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote