bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Feb 2009, 15:10   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Samsung to launch solar phone

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-solar-phone/1

Samsung is to launch a smartphone made from recycled plastics and featuring dual solar panels in order to improve its eco credentials.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 15:29   #2
Ninja_182
Enginerd!

Ninja_182 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it just me that keeps my phone in my pocket all day or face up on my desk then holds it with my palm covering the rear? Or dont people do that in the east?

flickr?
Ninja_182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 15:30   #3
eldiablo
Multimodder

eldiablo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Im especially curious about the time it takes to charge the battery indoors with no natural light sources. If it would be possible to charge the phone by just putting it on my desk while im at work it would be great if i would never have to use my charger anymore.
Also arent most phone's supposed to not be exposed to direct sunlight? What about this one?

Looking forward to some reviews of these kind of phones.
eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 15:47   #4
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Curious device. I bet they'll ship these with full alloy protection cases made with all the bad materials they didn't use on the phone just to protect it.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 16:01   #5
War-Rasta
Supermodder

War-Rasta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it'll work for people who are on the go all day. If you can just sit it on your desk and let it charge the it'll be great but if you're outside you'll probably have it your pocket where it won't get much/any sunlight. I guess you could probably have it in one of those pockets that some backpack have on the shoulder strap. If the front of the pocket is transparent it should work fine i guess.
Old 16th Feb 2009, 16:40   #6
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A marketing gimmick and nothing more IMO.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 16:52   #7
markwalker84
Minimodder

markwalker84 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well aren't you a bunch of miserable, cynical sods! lol

Good on Samsung for trying something;

a) Different
b) Innovative
c) For a good cause
markwalker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 16:58   #8
teamtd11
*Custom User Title*

teamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This could be quite usefull, my phone just sits on my desk all day. and then when i do go some place the battery dies cos its been so long since it was charged.
teamtd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 18:00   #9
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its about time, I was wondering when they would finally do this, they need to also do this with laptops as well.

Lol guys havent you ever been somewhere and forgot your charger or out in the middle of no where and you car breaks down, or out a job site, or a long night on the town, come on I can name hundreds of times that I wish my phone could have this to recharge so it wouldnt be dead, this is the perfect solution.
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •

Last edited by HourBeforeDawn; 16th Feb 2009 at 18:47.
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 18:24   #10
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
laptops would be weird, i do not think there is any chance you could generate enough power to keep a laptop powered on in a sufficient small package... and for a reasonable price.
alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 18:40   #11
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca
laptops would be weird, i do not think there is any chance you could generate enough power to keep a laptop powered on in a sufficient small package... and for a reasonable price.
no not to keep it powered but for recharge purposes, it would also help to extend some battery life as some load could be sent to the solar panels.
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •
Old 16th Feb 2009, 19:00   #12
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Why does alternative quite often mean ugly? XP style was good for 2001 [if ever].
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iδ! Iδ! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 19:09   #13
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45
Why does alternative quite often mean ugly? XP style was good for 2001 [if ever].
well if Im understanding what your referring to, I think the phone looks great.
Old 16th Feb 2009, 19:16   #14
nitrous9200
Multimodder

nitrous9200 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For a "green" product, this phone actually looks very nice, better than some normal phones that are out there.
nitrous9200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 20:16   #15
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
In shopping centres here in Portugal, they have these little machines with all imaginary charger types, all you have to do is stand next to the machine for 10mins with your phone plugged in and you'll have enough juice for a few more hours.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 20:28   #16
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, this is *really* going to help, given that my house uses at least ~10 kW at all times, twice that during winter. Marketing gimmick, but can be useful sometimes.
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 21:25   #17
NightrainSrt4
Multimodder

NightrainSrt4 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I find it funny how whenever something like this comes out people always attack its usefulness, yet when nothing like it is on the market the masses beg for it.

Stop looking at the solar panels as the sole way to power the device, and look at it as an auxiliary means to keep that charge going.
NightrainSrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 21:32   #18
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
mmm it would be a great addition to my solar powered wrist watch...

It really has great looks, but seems a bit too large though.
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 21:57   #19
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightrainSrt4 View Post
I find it funny how whenever something like this comes out people always attack its usefulness, yet when nothing like it is on the market the masses beg for it.

Stop looking at the solar panels as the sole way to power the device, and look at it as an auxiliary means to keep that charge going.
I agree, I mean come on, no one here who is complaining never found them selves with out a charger for their phone? and their phone about to die, this is where they would stop complaining and wish they had this option as a way to charge their phone.
Old 16th Feb 2009, 22:04   #20
rtype02
What's a Dremel?

rtype02 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sounds like a waste of money if you ask me - I'd rather them spend some $$ on something useful like a taser phone or somethign haha
rtype02 is offline   Reply With Quote