bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Feb 2009, 15:12   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Games I Own: The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain

Joe talks about one of his earliest PC gaming memories...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/02...d-of-dr-brain/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 18:17   #2
raGe82
Minimodder

raGe82 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm. For me it was Deus Ex - I wasn't to good at English, I would even say it was even a bit worse ;-) But it was first game I really wanted to understand, so I grabbed a dictionary.

I must admit - it was a big step in learning foreign language, something more than grammar or simple stories about nothing Now, tell me that games make people stupid :P
raGe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 20:01   #3
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow - learning English from playing Deus Ex? That's impressive.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 16th Feb 2009, 20:09   #4
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting fact: A lot of French people still used this to learn English in 2005.

I remember martello towers, also a game which taught me to learn the time in french, Notre Dame or something, had to get the time right so Quasimodo would climb the tower, infact, I still have them!

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2009, 23:09   #5
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My first memories of Sierra were Mixed-Up Fairy Tales. A game that I can remember playing for hours on end when I was only 8.
Old 17th Feb 2009, 06:48   #6
delriogw
Multimodder

delriogw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i'm intrigued joe, what did you learn from deus ex?
delriogw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2009, 06:51   #7
delriogw
Multimodder

delriogw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh and i remember a copy of encarta that came with a pc back in the 90's. it had this game on it, it involved you traveling through a maze/castle thing, and every room you entered you had to answer a question - the idea being it was something you could find the answer to in the encarta software. it was very cleverly done, beautifully presented, and taught me um... i can't remember

but yeh - t'was fun
delriogw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2009, 10:17   #8
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Ah Martello Towers and Granny's Garden were NOTHING on The Lost Frog. I swear it was designed secretly by Mensa, some of the puzzles in it were simply evil.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2009, 11:15   #9
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by delriogw View Post
oh and i remember a copy of encarta that came with a pc back in the 90's. it had this game on it, it involved you traveling through a maze/castle thing, and every room you entered you had to answer a question - the idea being it was something you could find the answer to in the encarta software. it was very cleverly done, beautifully presented, and taught me um... i can't remember

but yeh - t'was fun
Mindquest I think it was. That and an army simulation game we had on the school library computers filled many of my lunch times.

Martello Towers meanwhile remains unconquered for me - I went back at it with a BBC emulator a few years ago and still couldn't get past the mystic rose puzzle.

As for 'What did I learn from Deus Ex?'...that's another blog post altogether.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 17th Feb 2009, 12:07   #10
Bungle
Rainbow Warrior

Bungle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whilst at primary school we we're lucky enough to have use of a BBC Micro. One of the games on there was "Kingdom".
A simple turn based strategy game whereby you have to keep your village alive by making sure you kept 3 things in check
1) you had enough people in the village to defend attacks from thieves (represented by a "T" moving around on the screen)
2) Enough people to man the dyke which was prone to flooding and destroying crops.
3) Farmers to harvest the crops.

My first introduction to strategy gaming. It would be many years before I owned a system (Commodore 64), but I think that first encounter, sparked my curiousity into computer gaming and I've never looked back since.

(why don't they make games like "revenge of the mutant lamas" anymore)
Old 17th Feb 2009, 13:15   #11
Creech
Huh?

Creech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had completely forgotten about The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain until you posted this. My goodness, I must have played all the way through at least 15 times. I still remember all the elements, greek letters, and sign language letters from Pentode.
Creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2009, 22:10   #12
raGe82
Minimodder

raGe82 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Wow - learning English from playing Deus Ex? That's impressive.
Yup! :P It's not that Deus Ex was full of good examples but it was more like an impulse to try to understand what are they talking about Now I just hate to play localised games...
raGe82 is offline   Reply With Quote