bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Feb 2009, 10:49   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel tears apart Nvidia Ion in document

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2009/02...-with-nvidia/1

Intel lambasts Nvidia's Ion, saying that it's based on old technology and that gaming and video transcoding features are irrelevant to netbooks and nettops.

Old 24th Feb 2009, 10:58   #2
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If i was a manufacturer, i would also wait until Intel and Nvidia stop fighting. I think this as reason why OEMS not getting out a product yet, not what Intel claims it is. And then Intel is pushing the GN40 chipset between the lines and comparing their own atom platform to Nvidia's Ion. It is like taking over Nividia presentation of Ion and turn it into "atom"
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 11:00   #3
WilHarris
Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is nothing new, Intel / AMD / ATI / NV have been sending out docs like this for years. They always make for fascinating and hilarious reading, since these things are mainly made up of marketing messaging rather than actual reality. As Ben points out, the claim about aging technology is insane given the 945 link. TechPowerUp used to post these things on a regular basis for all to see: come on Bit, how about giving us the whole caboodle rather than one teasing screenshot?
WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 11:19   #4
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Video transcoding might be less than useful on a netbook/top but if we can get ITX scale bluray then i think intel may have missed the point
Old 24th Feb 2009, 14:03   #5
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
is it just me or are they mostly sounding like two teenage girls that has gotten into a fight about a boy.

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 15:05   #6
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp1988 View Post
is it just me or are they mostly sounding like two teenage girls that has gotten into a fight about a boy.
+1

This is ridiculous.
Old 24th Feb 2009, 15:59   #7
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, Intel sounds like a five-year-old, screaming "But I don waaaant to!". Ion is better than anything Intel can show now and for a long time, they just want to get rid of the old 945M crap.
"neither gaming nor video transcoding are relevant to netbook and nettop users." - read: We fail miserably.
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 18:37   #8
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think intel is losing its grip on the market.

This scares Intel.
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 18:41   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel is scared, simple as that.

probably because their update platform for Atom can't handle 1080p smoothly
Old 24th Feb 2009, 18:46   #10
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think they are more afraid of that small Nvidia chip that does 720P in a cell phone size case and uses very little power. As for games on a netbook, I would love a small resonable priced portable system that can at least run games like CS:S so that I can check on my servers when I am on a trip.
Old 24th Feb 2009, 19:52   #11
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have to agree in that having an nVidia chipset such as that in a Netbook is pointless and goes away from the main point of a netboox now what I would agree in would be not using the ION in netbooks but in Mini HTPC boxes, that would better suit what the ION can do but for Netbooks no not at all.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2009, 00:14   #12
Primoz
Minimodder

Primoz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why not have fullHD capabilities in a 'nettop'? You can use it as a daily PC (for the net, youtube and the occasional movie/series) if you have a powerfull gaming rig. That way you save on power in a dramatical way (if otherwise the gaming rig is turned on for the whole day). Or you could use it as a HTPC, especially in the 'digital era' and with a NAS somewhere on the net. Even G wireless is more than enough to stream a 1080p flick.
Primoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2009, 01:59   #13
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
for the love of might people its a 10 inch and some cases smaller screen and you want HD capabilities LOL..... now for a netop with the use of being a HTPC mini system again as I said sure makes sense but the argument is more aimed towards netbooks which again I stand by it being pointless.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2009, 02:46   #14
Quaymachine
What's a Dremel?

Quaymachine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ion is just stage one. Technology moves quickly these days and personally I would love a hand held PC that could double as a PSP/Movie Player, and I'v never liked java games, they look terrible.
If I'm going to play a game, watch a movie or do anything I like it to look as good as possible. Now I'v played games on Intel graphic's chips and on Nvidia's and I know which one I prefer. In my opinion no matter what graphics solution Intel comes up with Nvidia's one will always look better.
Quaymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2009, 07:21   #15
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HourBeforeDawn
for the love of might people its a 10 inch and some cases smaller screen and you want HD capabilities LOL..... now for a netop with the use of being a HTPC mini system again as I said sure makes sense but the argument is more aimed towards netbooks which again I stand by it being pointless.
But you can plug your HD-capable netbook into your TV via HDMI and you've got something that can play 720/1080p content back on a big screen. It's like the 720p decoding capabilities of the Tegra chip for mobile phones - it's so you can plug the thing into a bigger screen, not because you want to watch 720p movies on your handheld.