1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo, Sony sued over wireless tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

six years and also asks the question why they haven't targeted media streamers (eg squeezebox - play/pause could be considered "interactive"), iPlayer, web browser games (eg Quake Live)

Patent trolls should be made to IMMEDIATELY produce a marketable product or should be made to pay the accused's legal fees AND the exact same cost there were asking for in damages.

3. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Err, doesn't that patent cover any sort of data streaming? I don't understand why only Nintendo and Sony are being targeted.
    Surely a patent as vague as that will cover technologies patented by other companies. So Wall Wireless should be getting paid royalties by everyone + dog. But seen as I've never heard of them I guess they're not.

They really need to stop giving out patents for such vague applications. This is just a blatant money making scam.

4. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Uhh, plus the DS was announced properly in 2003, it had obviously been in development for much longer.

This just stinks of patent trolling.

5. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

You can't patent streaming... its a patent for a particular implementation, and without looking at the code employed on various platforms, we have no way of knowing whether or not nintendo or sony infringed it... which begs the question, how do wall wireless know? It's gotta be pretty difficult to decompile the code for the drivers on the DS and PSP.

6. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

The patent is really bizarre, its as if it was written for two pieces of specific software for singing into a mobile phone or pressing buttons on a phone/pda to play an instrument over a wireless communication network, and has then been watered down to try and cover any form of pressing buttons over a wireless network. I'm more surprised they haven't gone after Guitar hero and Rock Star publications really.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

vaguest patent we've ever seen

how many times have we seen this?

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+1

9. K20

K20 What's a Dremel?

Would it have hurt you to have written "Nintendo and Sony sued over wireless tech(nology)" or would three more button presses have been too exhausting?

10. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

No but it might raise the ire of a patent troll somewhere

11. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Im just serving you all with notice of intended prosecution for violating my new patent :

"Method and Apparatus for Reading and Replying to Media Content Through Wireless Communication Networks and the Internet."

Anyone want so settle for £100 cash before this turns nasty?

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

What kind of clowns do we have working in the patent approval office? This is ridiculous that someone actually approved this patent. What a waste of the judicial system's time.

I'm reminded of a TV commercial here in the states for a company called "Drive Time" (or something like that). This guy is sitting in a cube with a big stamp slamming it down on paper saying "Approved. Approved. Approved. Approved. Approved. Approved.".... well you get the point.

Tags: Add Tags