bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Feb 2009, 14:15   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
X11 GUI installed on G1

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...talled-on-g1/1

The X11 graphical user interface platform has been successfully installed on the Android-based T-Mobile G1, allowing for a fully-fledged desktop environment.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 14:43   #2
War-Rasta
Supermodder

War-Rasta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm... Sounds interesting...
I need to get my hands on one of these things...
Old 24th Feb 2009, 15:49   #3
eeevan
Dremel Master

eeevan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You can't be serious?
Unless I'm not quite understanding the process here, how can you call interacting with an OS over VNC an "installation".

I could do this, with any OS, on any VNC client- on any device. But surely you're already aware of that?
Old 24th Feb 2009, 15:50   #4
Singularity
Supermodder

Singularity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
While I do admire the fact that it works, I must say I'm getting bored of these XYZ-OS running on the ZXY phone/computer/potato.
Apart from a demonstration of it bein possible, what's the use? I see no real reason for having this on a phone, or Android on the Eee. A phone is a phone and an OS made for a phone will always be more usefull than a desktop OS/GUI (same goes for mobile phone OS on a computer).
All that said, I'm disappointed nobody made an Android build for my HTC TyTN - get on in you tinkerers!
Old 24th Feb 2009, 15:50   #5
eeevan
Dremel Master

ack, don't flame me.

I pulled a stupid
Old 24th Feb 2009, 15:59   #6
ghostwalker
What's a Dremel?

ghostwalker has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
eevan - Many comments on sites that have blogged my tutorial seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick. This is not connecting to a remote desktop on another machine! This is x11 and LXDE Desktop running LOCALLY on the G1 device, the reason I had to connect back to LOCALHOST on the device (rather cleverly, if I do say so myself) is because there are no drivers. This circumnavigates the need for drivers.

Hope that clears it up?
ghostwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 16:00   #7
ghostwalker
What's a Dremel?

ghostwalker has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
eevan - Many comments on sites that have blogged my tutorial seem to be getting the wrong end of the stick. This is not connecting to a remote desktop on another machine! This is x11 and LXDE Desktop running LOCALLY on the G1 device, the reason I had to connect back to LOCALHOST on the device with VNC (rather cleverly, if I do say so myself) is because there are no drivers. This circumnavigates the need for drivers.

Hope that clears it up?
ghostwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 18:24   #8
eeevan
Dremel Master

hey ghostwalker,

I quickly realized that after giving the full article a read- my bad.

But wow, that's a really intelligent solution to the inherent problem is lacking video drivers. Kudos to you for the out of the box thinkin!

Well done,
e
Old 25th Feb 2009, 04:30   #9
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
In the article the word treacle was used. I actually had to look that one up. If anyone else was confused, see definition below from www.webster.com.

"2 chiefly British a: molasses b: a blend of molasses, invert sugar, and corn syrup used as syrup ócalled also golden syrup"

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Thermaltake Smart M 850W - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2009, 05:11   #10
Neophyte4Life
Minimodder

Neophyte4Life has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fantastic. Now i can experience the joy of intermittent "localhost:10.0 broken" on my PC and phone. GUI's are for nOObs.
Neophyte4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2009, 11:34   #11
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
In the article the word treacle was used. I actually had to look that one up. If anyone else was confused, see definition below from www.webster.com.

"2 chiefly British a: molasses b: a blend of molasses, invert sugar, and corn syrup used as syrup ¬—called also golden syrup"
Not quite, Golden Syrup is the yummy golden coloured stuff you put in desserts, Treacle is it's bitter, stickier, not-even-edible-raw half-brother. It's black, extremely sticky and gloopy, and is often used to relate to something that whilst does move, does so extremely slowly and with difficulty. A common phrase would be "running through treacle", implying moving with great difficulty. I had no idea it was chiefly British. What does everyone else call it?
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2009, 06:21   #12
4Rm0D
What's a Dremel?

4Rm0D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
Quote:

"2 chiefly British a: molasses b: a blend of molasses, invert sugar, and corn syrup used as syrup —called also golden syrup"
Not quite, Golden Syrup is the yummy golden coloured stuff you put in desserts, Treacle is it's bitter, stickier, not-even-edible-raw half-brother. It's black, extremely sticky and gloopy, and is often used to relate to something that whilst does move, does so extremely slowly and with difficulty. A common phrase would be "running through treacle", implying moving with great difficulty. I had no idea it was chiefly British. What does everyone else call it?

molasses
4Rm0D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 20:30   #13
bilbothebaggins
Multimodder

bilbothebaggins has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

"2 chiefly British a: molasses b: a blend of molasses, invert sugar, and corn syrup used as syrup —called also golden syrup"
Ha! Everyone reading Pratchett should know treacle (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treacle_mining) and, really, everyone should be reading Pratchett :-P