bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Feb 2009, 12:00   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Silent Hill Homecoming PC

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...omecoming-pc/1

The latest instalment of Konami's fog-shrouded survival horror series arrives on the PC, exclusively on Steam. You play Alex, a veteran who returns from the war to find himself strapped to a trolley in an unpleasant hospital of horrors. Once you escape, things take a turn for the worse...

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 12:38   #2
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
I completely agree - I love the SH franchise but this game is so very very poor. #3 and #4 were quite bad but at least playable and I felt some compassion for the characters, but this is such a poor game and even poorer PC port it's criminal. I couldn't play it more than 2 hours before I uninstalled it.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 12:47   #3
Journeyer
Mod Master

Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Aw, that's a shame. I Really enjoyed SH 2,3 and 4, and I was looking forward to this one. Well, I guess I might pick it up as soon as it hits the bargain bins.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX || FX-8150BE || 16Gb Corsair DDR3 1866Mhz || 2xGTX285 SLI || 2xOCZ Agility 3 120Gb RAID0 for OS
Journeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 12:48   #4
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I loved every single SH game so far and weirdly enough my favorite was 4. Seeing that 5 is so bad makes me sad as I've been looking forward to playing it for quite some time.

Well... back to 1 and play 'em all again it is I guess.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 13:20   #5
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
PC version of this game deserves "console port" badge. I've encountered numerous technical problems ever since I tried to run the game. Developers bundled obsolete DX redist version so I had to download correct one from MS. Then I had to manually change config file to define controls because they got messed up every time I loaded game. I also went for a cup of coffee as badly implemented binkplayer played intro cut-scene/slideshow for 15 minutes.
The best word to describe most of the combats is "frustration". Especially because in some cases dodge button works rather randomly(or maybe I'm not accurate enough to press dodge button at certain 1msec long moment). I have eventually figured out that the only useful weapon in game is knife, everything else is too slow.
But the most frustrating parts of the game were puzzles where you have to move puzzle pieces with mouse. It often takes incredible amount of effort just to move them. It's as if the game was guessing which way I'm moving mouse instead of reading mouse input, in fact, after so many years this is the first game I have quited in rage because it often took me 10 seconds to move a single piece...

On the other hand it's not all that bad. Though it's not really scary, story & length game is OK and it has sort of "hardcore gameplay" feeling.
This might have been good game if only they bothered a bit more with playtesting PC version.
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 13:53   #6
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
It's not a good game though - the graphics are appalling, there's no relation to the character and it's so shallow it's almost a parody of itself compared to the previous games. It's just died - the franchise is dead, there's nothing new in 5 that will make anyone want to play it - they should just start something new.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 13:54   #7
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
If you want a decent horror game give Siren: Blood Curse a bash on PSN its episodic nature means you can try teh first few episodes for a couple of quid before committing, though its less than Ł15 on bluray.

Like RE and SH its controls are a bit clumsy till you get used to the choices made but the game is good overall.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 14:14   #8
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
3? Ouch. So if you're wanting to play it, it's best on a console? Reviews seem to be fair to middling at best with some generic "7's" thrown at it.
Old 27th Feb 2009, 14:55   #9
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk
3? Ouch. So if you're wanting to play it, it's best on a console? Reviews seem to be fair to middling at best with some generic "7's" thrown at it.
TBH, I think they're just being kind. As Bindi says, when it comes down to it, it's just not a good game. The PC is worse, because of the bugs etc, but even on the 360 it'll be shallow and dull.

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2009, 09:12   #10
alleyne
Multimodder

alleyne has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice review, its good to see such a crappy game getting the crappy score it deserves..!
________
Voyager

Last edited by alleyne; 25th Mar 2011 at 23:08.
alleyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2009, 19:53   #11
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
3rd person view very rarely works well on the pc.

Anyway, shame to see that they missed yet another chance to make a good horror game for the pc.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2009, 02:12   #12
sandy7
What's a Dremel?

sandy7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hii all, I'm new here,i just played SH homecoming for the PC,and i really don't know what's wrong?
is it the problem from my computer or the Vega?or the problem in the game?
the game is so slow and the resolution is really bad........till the colors it's so dull,should i buy new Vega?or it will be better in another console ?plz anyone tell me??
sandy7 is offline   Reply With Quote