bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Feb 2009, 13:30   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The PropIRC low-power chat box

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...wer-chat-box/1

A clever hacker has developed a full IRC client in a tiny hardware device that lets you idle with a fraction of the power usage of a desktop PC.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 15:57   #2
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Heh, havent used IRc in a while 'cos im too lazy to setup a bouncer; getting a co-lo server soon tho!
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 16:14   #3
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
How seriously cool is that?

Now if only the quality of IRC discourse wasn't so crap.

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 18:02   #4
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
/me says hi :-)

aahh the good old days, wrestling with eggbots and the like and channel hijacking and fun with mirc programming and afcourse the useless conversations about nothing and everything
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 18:34   #5
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
If only this was made 5 years ago it would have been so cool...
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 18:42   #6
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
There must be something useful this device could be made to do....

Is it possible to set up a monitoring program to report its output via irc? If so then this would be a funky way of monitoring a few servers from one device.
Old 27th Feb 2009, 18:47   #7
Zephyr
Go V-Boy, Go!

Zephyr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you haven't used IRC in a while because you're "too lazy" or only used it for "channel hijacking", you're not the person this device is aimed at. This device does absolutely everything a good BNC should while being minimalistic. It's something I'd look into building tbh.

The only thing it can't do is provide intelligent conversation, so alas, IRC will still be IRC.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2009, 20:17   #8
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr
If you haven't used IRC in a while because you're "too lazy" or only used it for "channel hijacking", you're not the person this device is aimed at. This device does absolutely everything a good BNC should while being minimalistic. It's something I'd look into building tbh.

The only thing it can't do is provide intelligent conversation, so alas, IRC will still be IRC.
In the spirit of IRC, your an idiot.
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2009, 04:55   #9
legoman666
Beat to fit, paint to match.

legoman666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremellegoman666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
How seriously cool is that?

Now if only the quality of IRC discourse wasn't so crap.
Without IRC there would be no bash.org
legoman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2009, 05:13   #10
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this would be useful if i ever turned my computer off.
Old 28th Feb 2009, 14:23   #11
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not a fan of IRC.

I found it boring.
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2009, 13:59   #12
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
IRC was great back when we all were young. [Maybe not John or the likes... ] It's just not the same anymore especially after all the channels I used to idle/talk in are dead by now.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I! I! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2009, 20:29   #13
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow this is very neat.. I will have to check it out, however I fear it will be beyond my current abilities as a geek
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2009, 09:27   #14
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
From bash.org:
"IRC is just multiplayer notepad"

I like the initiative, and it'd be great if you could build one in a little housing with a PSone screen and a little bluetooth wireless keyboard... Oh, the possibilities!