1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia officially launches GeForce GTS 250

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

A lot of rejections as response in the interview with Desai. If they REALLY want to help buying customers they should place a sticker on the box with the text:

"ATTENTION: This card is formerly known as the 8800GT and 8900GTX"

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Milking the unknowing/ignorant, that's what it is.

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Does that sound like he's pouting to anyone else?

Anyhow, with the price drops on the 4850 and the 4870, I think NVIDIA is going to have a hard time selling this card. The 4850 still comes in at the same price as the "new" GTS 250, and the 4870 is only $20 USD more than that. As far as gaming goes, I see little reason to buy this card.

5. perplekks45

If you were in the UK you might re-think that.
    *waiting for the AMD price cut to arrive over here [the last one not the recent one] and for official prices from nVidia*

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

8800GT-->>9800GT-->>9800GTX-->>9800GTX+ -->>GTS250
    What is this??

That GPU shouldn't alive after so many different names.

I'm just going to buy a crossfire mobo, so I can buy a new cheap HD4870 to double my pc performance...

7. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

If people dont research their purchases then they deserve to be duped.

Who on earth buys a new GPU as an upgrade without reviewing its specifications and performance first in comparison to the one they already have ? If the answer is 'plenty of people' then the world is full of dumb lazy schmucks!

8. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

No... as always people buy *NEW* things...

GTS250 is just a deceiving PO$... Same performance with small clocks increases...

Why the hell nVidia is so stagnant?

ATi is still inovating, nVidia is... milking... a GPU that already payed itself ages ago...

It's shameful

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I want the days of '06/07' back when Nvidia was at least somewhat innovative..

Now ATI's back in the game and making the RV740(cheap GDDR5 card) and the HD4850 at ridiculously low prices will just destroy Nvidia's competition.

Hell the lack of Cheap 9600GTs pisses me off as I can't buy an EVGA or a BFG one for under $100, and the lack of any good low-end cards from Nvidia is killing them as well(and pissing me off).

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

when are they going to stop doing this ****?!

i thought when the GTX2 series hit we were going to see an end to ridiculous naming policies rehashing old cards, how many people who own the 9800GTX+ will end up walking into a shop and buying this? i suspect more than a couple, so i guess nvidia got what they wanted

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

the rebadging idea is disappointing, i agree....

...but if they do release it at the same price point... seriously... what's wrong with renaming it?

if it was 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, 260, 260core 216, 280, the regular joe would blow his head off...

but if its 250, 260, 280.... hmm.... yeah. at least poor old joe can tell that 250 is slower than 260 and 280 is even faster. duh.

relabeling old product = bad.
    simplifying ur graphic line = good.

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

as for ATI, as cheap as they r selling 4850 and 4870, not a lot of people r buying them here in North America. they're hot, buggy driver, but good performance and price. nvidia is cool coz that new review said its the fastezt. that's the regular gamer would think. unfortunate, but true.

check most of the "pre-build" gamer machine. on any tier, they have more options on the nvidia cards instead of ATI. why? ATi runs as fast (or faster) for better cost! well, becoz nvidia sells. thats why.

again, unfortunate, but reading some of ur comments here that bash nvidia n think ATI is selling like hotcakes... lol.... yeah... sure. nvidia's doing wutever they want becoz they can. dont even think otherwise.
    i wouldnt call probably 90% of the world population "dumb lazy schmucks". somebody u care for could be one of them.

13. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I disagree to some extent. They layman has no idea how fast the churn is for the GPU market. Unless you are part of an online community like Bit-Tech.net or any of the other reputable sites out there, one would not have this industry knowledge. On the other hand, if you are just a fanboy then by all means you deserve the reaming you are getting.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

anyone know what are equivalent of GT120 and GT130 in the new iMacs??

15. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Why should they make a new card when the 9800gtx+ is already on par with it's competitor, the 4850? Really, why change architecture when the current one is still perfectly competent? As for the rebranding, well... why not? It's inconsistent to have half the cards branded gtx 2xx and the other half 9xxx gtx.

And getting the same performance at less power consumption is hardly unwelcome.

As for sidestepping from a 8800 gts to a gts 250, it's highly unlikely. Anyone with such a dillema will usually ask for advice on a forum or from a more knowledgeable friend. Now, if they ask for advice at PC World it's another issue...

16. perplekks45

I don't agree with you at all, rustor.

The power consumption gains will be marginal and as many people already pointed out the average customer won't ask anyone but the staff at PCW/Currys/Comet or any other shop with clueless shop assistants. And I don't think it'll only be a few customers "upgrading" from a 8800/9800 to a 250 as it seems to be a good idea. "You at least jump to the next generation at least!" is what they'll think.

17. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Still prefer the single slot design of the 4850, now if only Sapphire could get a single slot Vapor-X style cooler on it like they did with the 3870 and produce a cool running,quiet 4850....

18. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Correct, two virtually identical lines of GPUs is confusing, but what is even more confusing is having three virtually identical lines.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

ENOUGH with this **** already NVIDIA. Sheesh. It was bad enough when we went from 8800GTS to 8800GTS 512. Oh what's that, you also built the 9600GSO, 8800GT, 9800, 9800GT, 9800GTX, and now GTS 250 on the same thing? So basically, that's what, seven near identical GPUs? This is ridiculous... Especially how every ignorant user is now going to go "OH, GTX 250, it sounds a little bit slower, but it has more memory so it must be better!"

Talk about trying to flush out your overstock of chips onto the clueless users...

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Thats one thing I like about ATI is they tend not to pull this kind of ******** ~_~

Tags: Add Tags