bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 4th Mar 2009, 06:39   #1
milotic858
Multimodder

milotic858 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project: Macross Frontier Side Panel tile spacers/glue for side panel part 2

I will be transforming the Raven by Silverstone into a Macross Frontier inspired case mod. When I saw the Raven, I loved the design of the case. I thought this would be an amazing case to mod. You can tell there was a lot of thought into the design and functionality of this case.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/en/home.php

For those of you, like me, that love anime you have heard of the Macross series. For those of you that haven't heard or seen it, I highly recommend this tv series. It is has cute and endearing characters with a very engaging story. I don't want to give too much detailed information about the plot for those that haven't seen it. But, this a summary that is provided on the link below.

The Macross Frontier fleet is en route towards the center of the Milky Way galaxy in search of inhabitable planets when it is attacked by the mysterious extraterrestrial life-form Vajra.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Macross_Frontier

Okay, now back to the case...Here it is, stock.

Check out the front cover. It slides up to cover and then down to reveal the drive bays.

other side panel that will be modded later.

Front IO ports, hidden behind a trap door.

Because of all the intricate design features, I have to take it apart first to get an idea of just how I will paint and mod it.

A unique feature of the Raven is that the motherboard tray is turned 90 degrees. Making the back of the board face up.

Took the top off and took the rest apart.

Side Panel with window.

I love all the filters to help keep a clean dust free environment

That's it for now. Thanks for viewing. Any input is much appreciated. I am throwing together various paint themes and I plan to bring out the dremel next.

Last edited by milotic858; 1st Jul 2009 at 15:28.
milotic858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 07:28   #2
MikeMania
Multimodder

MikeMania has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet, I've seen the series and enjoyed it for the most part.

The case certainly has aspects that resemble the mecha from the show. Eager to see what you do with it!
MikeMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 08:47   #3
utopius
artificially unintelligent

utopius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IM SOOOOOOOO happy someone as decided to mod one of these raven's the thing is just gorgeous im so eager to see what you got planned for this
utopius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 12:12   #4
edzieba
Virtual Realist

edzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Interested to see how this turns out. Gerwalk-mode case?
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 18:26   #5
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Obviously you need a big-*ss gun, and a million doors that hide rocket pods.
Old 4th Mar 2009, 18:38   #6
TiTON
IRONMODS

TiTON has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is going to be a wicked mod.. mechs, anime, casemodding = Winning combo The Raven has all the right lines for this theme.

Your GDI War Factory case is awesome, can' t wait to see what you come up with.

- Ton
TiTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2009, 00:40   #7
[DJ]
What's a Dremel?

[DJ] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great case choice, the raven already looks a variable fighter. What mode are you planning to use: Fighter, Gerwalk, or Battroid? Or maybe some combination?
[DJ] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2009, 06:40   #8
milotic858
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMania View Post
Sweet, I've seen the series and enjoyed it for the most part.

The case certainly has aspects that resemble the mecha from the show. Eager to see what you do with it!
Glad to hear that you have seen the series! When I saw this case, I know it would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopius View Post
IM SOOOOOOOO happy someone as decided to mod one of these raven's the thing is just gorgeous im so eager to see what you got planned for this
I totally agree with you. This case is gorgeous. It is really cool to look at from pictures online, but it is truly impressive once you see this case in person. There is so much more to this case then what I could take pictures of. I hope to show off more of the details of this case as I get further along in the mod process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Obviously you need a big-*ss gun, and a million doors that hide rocket pods.
If I could build it, it would totally be in this case mod

edzieba, and [DJ] - I don’t want to give too much away. But, I will theme it after one of the characters. Right now, I have two separate plans in the works. It is harder than I thought to pick just one. As to which mode I will be using….what do you guys think? Better to stick to one mode or do combo?

TiTon – Thanks for the comments! Hope to have an update for everyone really soon.
Old 5th Mar 2009, 09:28   #9
edzieba
Virtual Realist

edzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyanedzieba is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by milotic858 View Post
But, I will theme it after one of the characters.
That's given me an idea. Black P180 + compact red LED array = Sharon Apple mod? Won't be controlling any advanced UCAVs with it though.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2009, 01:49   #10
ChrisK
What's a Dremel?

ChrisK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow another case!!! Can't wait to see more and the final project.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2009, 20:19   #11
Spoooon
Minimodder

Spoooon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really looking forward to seeing this one, looks like theres so much that you can do with that case
Spoooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2009, 17:44   #12
milotic858
Multimodder

Sand and prime

I love the design of the Raven, so I will keep the cool design features on each of the side panels. The center of the panels will be modified later. I have decided to go ahead and start painting. I know that the painting is usually one of the last things on a case mod (I was told that I look like I am working backwards, but I guess I have my own style) But I wanted to test the color combo and since i'm not cutting this part, I thought this would be a cool part to start with. It is really starting to warm up and it makes for great weather to start painting.

I decided on a combination of these colors

Sanded each piece a bit

Primed each piece

First coat of the gun metal color. Had to stop at that, it was getting too dark outside. Continued the next day...

In the sun the paint looks pretty cool.

I have to retake more pictures of the entire piece inside, so you can see its true color.
Old 26th Apr 2009, 19:58   #13
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.perplekks45 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
From what you've shown so far, very promising.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 04:29   #14
wbdog206
Supermodder

wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The finish looks great.
Old 27th Apr 2009, 05:29   #15
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Are those last two pieces metallic, or is that digital noise? If metallic, ftw.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 14:27   #16
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking good, I haven't seen a Raven mod yet.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 15:54   #17
milotic858
Multimodder

Painted this part yellow. The entire part is one piece but i will repaint it to look like two pieces. The bottom will be yellow and the top off white. I will be using the same yellow for other pieces inside the case.

Masked the yellow and will paint the rest off white

Here is what it look like after I peeled off the tape

Old 27th Apr 2009, 15:59   #18
Jelle46
Belgian freedom

Jelle46 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJelle46 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks very nice and smooth, those are some flashy colours!!
Jelle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 21:10   #19
x_JesusNinja_x
Minimodder

x_JesusNinja_x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Love that yellow!
x_JesusNinja_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 22:43   #20
Boddaker
Still hangin around

Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.Boddaker is definitely a rep cheat.
Hey Milotic, looking really good! I love the painting stage because it is so rewarding when you finally get to peel off the tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my brother
Is the name "Neptune's Trident" something you came up with? I can't see how a planet and chewing gum are related.
Boddaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ironmods, macross frontier, milotic858, raven, silverstone

View Mode