bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Mar 2009, 12:23   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
SilverStone Sugo SG03

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...ne-sugo-sg03/1

Opting for small form factor cases often involves demoting style to the subs bench. We take a look at SilverStone's Mini-ATX Sugo SG03 which is breaking all the rules and setting new standards for pint-sized PCs.

Old 4th Mar 2009, 12:47   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
That's all very well, but does it pass the Martin Test?
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 13:01   #3
tank_rider
Ultramodder

tank_rider has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Could you do a testing run with a second 120mm fan installed (as you recommended on the first page) to see if that makes a reasonable difference?
Main - e5200 @ 3.5GHz (akasa 965) || GA-EP31-DS3L || 2X2GB Crucial Ballistix || xfx GTX 260 || 500GB Seagate 7200.10 sata + 250GB Samsung sata + 160GB Samsung ide || NEC DVDRW || Enermax Liberty 400W || Antec P180 || 22" Fujitsu Siemems TFT
Media - X2 4400 @ 2.4GHz || Epox 9NDA3+ || 2GB RAM || 6800gs || 80GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 || LG DVD RAM || Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454
tank_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 13:15   #4
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Last page, through not trough.

This case isn't cute at all! It looks clunky and bulky and ew..
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 13:32   #5
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
hmm interesting, I actually had the idea of trying that kind of layout (PSU "on top" of the motherboard) and even modelled it in Sketchup! Didn't do anything with it, as I have neither the tools or the money to make a completely scratch-built case!
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 13:36   #6
Cutter McJ1b
Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Cutter McJ1b has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine View Post
Last page, through not trough
Corrected, thanks decodine.
Cutter McJ1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 14:00   #7
Nicb
Let's discuss among ourselves

Nicb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would have liked to have seen the PSU flipped and behind the motherboard instead of in front. So you can show off the MB and expensive NV280. But with it covering up the entire side grill like that I would not give much attention to cable management,...... no one can see anything.
Nicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 14:45   #8
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
if this thing allowed me to fit my Therlmaright Ultra-120e, i would pick it up in a split second. awwww... so cute.
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA 660Ti - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 14:48   #9
Cutter McJ1b
Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Cutter McJ1b has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicb View Post
I would not give much attention to cable management,...... no one can see anything.
I would give it considerable attention as cable management is as much for maximising airflow as making things look good.
Cutter McJ1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 15:00   #10
Nicb
Let's discuss among ourselves

Nicb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter McJ1b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicb View Post
I would not give much attention to cable management,...... no one can see anything.
I would give it considerable attention as cable management is as much for maximising airflow as making things look good.
I understand what your saying. I'm talking like tie wraps and not anything nice and groovy. Hence the words "not give much attention" So not like this serious but more like this serious about cable management.

I'm just perturbed. I always wanted a Case with the PSU behind the motherboard sucking air from out side and spitting it out the back and also I could "spider like" the cables around the board to the front. I just think that would be great.

Wish I had all the tools to do it myself.

Edit: By the way welcome.

Last edited by Nicb; 4th Mar 2009 at 15:17. Reason: To greet new member.
Nicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 15:12   #11
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
This looks like the sort of case that would benefit from a horizontal CPU cooler, rather than a vertical one, unfortunately most of the mainstream ones use 120mm fans (eg Noctua NH-U12) and would be too tall. Perhaps it would be worth experimenting with just a bare heatsink and a shroud directing air from the front fans, that's the sort of design most servers use (and a 1U server has a lot more heat packed into less space than this case). Mind you, most servers aren't exactaly what you'd call quiet...
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 16:18   #12
PrometheusCon
Stop! Hammertime.

PrometheusCon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have this case and love it. Currently doing a mod on it. It's very well built, but the metal is a little flimsy
PrometheusCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 16:48   #13
SnowCat
What's a Dremel?

SnowCat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Silverstone should make custom PSUs for cases like this. Smaller and with shorter cables
By the way - wouldn't it be better to have a classic scheme with PSU along top or bottom edge of the motherboard?
SnowCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 16:51   #14
Sir Digby
The Supprising Adventures

Sir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run Crysis
Hmmmm, these are begging to get modded to fit a 1U or 2U powersupply so that a large heatsink can be used in it...
Sir Digby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 17:14   #15
djDEATH
Habari gani?

djDEATH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Digby View Post
Hmmmm, these are begging to get modded to fit a 1U or 2U powersupply so that a large heatsink can be used in it...
was just gonna suggest the same thing...
Old 4th Mar 2009, 17:46   #16
notatoad
pretty fing wonderful

notatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnotatoad has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
Opting for small form factor cases often involves demoting style to the subs bench.
and this is clearly no exception. what were they thinking with that side window surround?
Old 4th Mar 2009, 20:18   #17
bogie170
Supermodder

bogie170 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've had one of these for over 6 months now. Not a bad little case. The main problem I have found is that it needs a fan to exhaust hot air rather thanpulling cold air in. And the case is kind of flimsy, quite thin aluminium.

I managed to fit 2x 1Tb Spinpoints, a HD4870x2 and x-fi elite pro running off a coolermaster silent pro 700. Also got a good o/c on a q9450 to 3.2Ghz as well.
bogie170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 20:36   #18
darkmarc
What's a Dremel?

darkmarc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've also been running one of these for about ten months. It's a great little case, have an Asus mobo, Q6600 @ 3Ghz with 8GB OCZ Reaper DDR2. Have two Noctua fans at the front, 2x 1TB Spinpoints and a 8800 GTS, I don't have any heating issues at all. Although I will say that this probably the hardest build I've done, having never built an SFF unit before.

I went down this route because Nehalem was just around the corner and I didn't want to make a massive investment on the eve of new tech coming. When I make the move to i7 this will make a nice little file server.
darkmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 20:56   #19
shomann
Supermodder

shomann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I did alot of research into the case recently but have never had my hands on one, so take what I am about to say with this in mind.

The SG03s I have seen have the PSU flipped so their much larger 120 or 140mm fan can exhaust the hot air from the CPU. Most guys run the Silverstone NT-06 series heatsink, which is made to sit right up against the bottom of the PSU.

One modder (on another forum) actually took a Noctua CP-12 and ground off the top 8mm of the heatsink so that it would fit under the PSU, providing even better cooling. I haven't seen anyone attempt it yet, but you could mod the case to accept an intake fan on the bottom floor of the unit, for better airflow to the graphics cards. Everyone that I have seen modded, uses 2 high-end 120mm fans on the front mesh to further help cooling.

I gave up on the idea of using this case because I want to go i7 for my next rig, though this case looks quite nice for those willing to compromise.

Last edited by shomann; 4th Mar 2009 at 23:12.
shomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2009, 22:03   #20
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ehh the only time I plan to build an ITX system will be for my car, other then that the smallest I would be going is mATX.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote