bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Mar 2009, 10:47   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it time for RTS games on consoles?

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/03...s-on-consoles/

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Mar 2009, 12:56   #2
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Halo Wars only has people interested in it because of the Halo name. Take away the title, you got a bland, boring and less than challenging RTS. Stormrise is supported by a company that has outstanding street rep in the RTS world. The two titles are not going to do well because they're innovative or a console game. Their makers are coming into the console world with street credit and that will makes sales.

As for RTS controls, the mouse still out performs controllers. Consoles are still and will always be watered down PC games.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 6th Mar 2009 at 14:53.
UrbanMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Mar 2009, 16:43   #3
Helldiver18
What's a Dremel?

Helldiver18 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really think RTS on big LCD would be great.

The mouse factor is a limitation but I can see the Wiimote from the Wii as a very good replacement (even better than a mouse because of the 3D possibilities)

I don't know if Pikmin can be consider as a RTS but replace the little Pikmin by soldiers and it's done (sort of).

Nice article (conversation) by the way
Helldiver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2009, 02:22   #4
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You can always run an rts off your HTPC. Just to see what it would be like I used a 40" HDTV as a monitor via vga for a few days before putting it in the living room. RTS games like sins were amazing on it! It was so awesome to see the battles on such a big screen. For more tactical games like Starcraft I think the good old regular monitor is still best because you do not have time to be moving your head around to see what is going on. Games like that are more about micro and macro than watching big explosions while you eat popcorn and hope your army wins.
Old 7th Mar 2009, 02:45   #5
best49erfan
Supermodder

best49erfan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Halo Wars actually works. I have played some of it and the control scheme makes it where most console RTS are just broken out of the box.
Old 7th Mar 2009, 10:17   #6
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
make me a functional control scheme for Supreme Commander or Sins of Solar Empire and THEN i believe PC RTS is no more.

all those console wannabes are only battle field commander at most. the controls still can't handle large fleet or real micromanagement.
Old 7th Mar 2009, 20:54   #7
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't think the PC RTS is going to die any time soon, but that doesn't mean that solid and successful RTS's can not be done on consoles. People are only getting smarter, and hardware is only getting better.

I have tried Halo Wars, and while it does not compare to Forged Alliance or SoaSE, it is a great success in its own right. The controls work well, and the developers have made their decisions along the development and have stuck to their guns. Not only that, but they have done the most they can with the hardware, and I think Ensemble (or all those that used to be in it) should be congratulated.

But I'm still going to be playing FA tonight, and not Halo Wars.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2009, 23:26   #8
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In the end it comes down to APM it will always be higher on the pc and therefore the best micro will always be from the pc players...
Old 8th Mar 2009, 15:58   #9
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.
Only decent one was Civ4 on consoles. But that's not an RTS really.
Old 12th Mar 2009, 04:27   #10
bridgesentry
3verything must bee wat3rcooled

bridgesentry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
RTS games WILL NEVER success on console without a mouse + keyboard supported / integrated. IMO RTS games require players to sit very close to the screen and quickly select, command ...
They are PC Games by nature.
In console, RTS Game's units moving like herds of ducks!

Last edited by bridgesentry; 12th Mar 2009 at 05:50.
bridgesentry is offline   Reply With Quote