bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Mar 2009, 09:15   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Resident Evil 5

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/ps3/2...vil-5-review/1

The controversial but long awaited sequel to Resident Evil 4 has finally arrived. Set in Africa, Resi 5 tells the story of Chris Redfield and his new partner, Sheva. Has swapping dark hallways for over-bright shantys made the game better or turned it into a biohazard though? We find out.

Old 11th Mar 2009, 09:30   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Resident Evil is, and shall always be, associated with running out of ammo, impossible puzzles, infuriating camera angles and a forboading sense of dread and isolation. I guess Capcom forgot this when they made Resi 5.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 09:57   #3
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The demo really annoyed me so I shall be giving this game a miss.
Old 11th Mar 2009, 10:01   #4
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
are all those images in this article screenshots from the game or pre-renders from a press pack? If the former than damn that's some pretty stunning graphics!

Slightly gory/morbid question, but is there proper damge modelling in this game? a couple of the images show chunks missing from sides, apparently lining up with the weapon's barrel - if you shoot a zombie in the side, does a chunk go missing?
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 10:03   #5
sjhujh
I drink too fast, think too slow

sjhujh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In the Demo I found Sheva to be useless... She got me killed on more than one occasion... I might just get a gamecube and Resi 4 agian, that game was awsome...
Old 11th Mar 2009, 10:06   #6
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
TBH Joe, you've done better reviews than this. It's not crap, but some parts, like the game itself, felt a little unfinished and without that usual polish we've come used to from you.

That said, you do highlight the issues with the game. From just playing the demo on PS3, you are thrown into the game and are ready to tense up for the first onslaught of the infected, only to think, 'Oh.. was that it?' I get more frightened playing Fallout 3, tbh.

Last edited by CardJoe; 11th Mar 2009 at 10:10. Reason: corrections fixed, tim blamed
kenco_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 10:12   #7
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder View Post
are all those images in this article screenshots from the game or pre-renders from a press pack? If the former than damn that's some pretty stunning graphics!

Slightly gory/morbid question, but is there proper damge modelling in this game? a couple of the images show chunks missing from sides, apparently lining up with the weapon's barrel - if you shoot a zombie in the side, does a chunk go missing?
Press pack, unfortunately.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 10:18   #8
FaIIen
origami killer

FaIIen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks shiny but the whole concept has been redone so many times in previous resident evil games, there seems to be nothing new to see here. They have also showcased 4 of the bosses already lol ..what are they thinking ? I'm just happy with Killzone 2 and Street Fighter atm, with some Warhawk filling my time now and then, i'll give this a pass ..or should i say fail ?
Old 11th Mar 2009, 10:47   #9
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
The demo really annoyed me so I shall be giving this game a miss.
I've had a couple of people say this to me - note to Capcom - only release demos if they're a GOOD representation of a game.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 10:54   #10
Angleus
Hypermodder

Angleus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
all i wanted was a new Res 4
Angleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 11:23   #11
Trefarm
No matter what... It's all good

Trefarm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Your fully badass, ripped, loaded with guns, ammo, first aid, Humvee and all that jazz... but you can't see the zombies because you've forgotten your sunglasses...
Old 11th Mar 2009, 12:16   #12
itazura
PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

itazura has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
not surprised it got a 7 -- i'll still be taking a look at it though.
itazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 12:27   #13
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought RE5 was too easy compared to previous titles. Ammo magically appears in crates, new guns just lay out in the open, puzzles were way too easy, lacked diaries (most we cheesy and a failed attempt to bring back past diaries), lacked security doors that required codes from various sources, lacked important elements from RE1-3 etc etc. What the **** happened to reading in games?

For anyone that never played the originals, do yourself a favor and go buy a copy of Resident Evil Directors Cut. That's how RE5 should of been with it's puzzles, diaries, guns, ammo etc.

Last edited by UrbanMarine; 11th Mar 2009 at 12:45.
UrbanMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 12:58   #14
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
no PC version...............
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA 660Ti - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 13:38   #15
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
reliant totally on a weird man in a cloak for your ammo and guns.
I never was able to get ammo from the weird man in the cloak. Anyways I will be getting this game and i probably be disappointed. To me re4 was a masterpiece I have literally played through that game 3 dozen times. I've played it where i only use the guns i pick up or just use the handgun that you start with and all sorts of ways, which to me playability the second and third time through make a game. Re5 though has basically the same features except the ability to play with a friend online which I have said if they allowed you to do that on re4 would be one of the greatest games ever made to me. But i know that you can't follow up such a good game, like re4, with another game that is better. So of course it will get a seven, at least it doesn't get a 3. And I will be playing it on hard because who plays games on normal anyways. Good review though thx bit-tech.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 14:07   #16
Major

Well, thought the demo was awesome, must of played each level 100 times or so, will be buying.
Old 11th Mar 2009, 15:44   #17
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeaver
I thought capcom has joined PC gamming alliance. Where is PC version of RE5 then?
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 15:52   #18
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trefarm View Post
Your fully badass, ripped, loaded with guns, ammo, first aid, Humvee and all that jazz... but you can't see the zombies because you've forgotten your sunglasses...
HAHAHA quote of the day.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 15:56   #19
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kúsař
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeaver
I thought capcom has joined PC gamming alliance. Where is PC version of RE5 then?
Coming post-console-release, as with all the previous versions of Resident Evil.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2009, 16:28   #20
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaIIen
looks shiny but the whole concept has been redone so many times in previous resident evil games, there seems to be nothing new to see here.
Even though its made pretty clear that this isn't like past RE games (exception of 4).
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote