bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 17th Mar 2009, 01:41   #41
cmd_
Multimodder

cmd_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine View Post
those ikea boxes are usually pretty flimsy, will the computer be safe inside? the fit/finish looks perfect so far though, besides that one extra hole.

The aluminium profiles are very helpful with that problem. Further, when all components are inside helps too. I will make an extra hole only if the temperature increases much more after intensive use.
Old 19th Mar 2009, 03:25   #42
cmd_
Multimodder

4th Update

Sata controller won't fit properly due to aluminium profile is blocking it, I cuted it to avoid this.

The PSU wires are too short, they must be changed.

Dust!

More dust.

The fan is temperature controlled using this circuit.

Power cables are desoldered to work more comfortably

Dusty!

My desoldering "kit"

Ground cables desoldered

There are few to finish

A drawer with a lot of wires.

This is a died antec psu (yes, antec dies too), I want to reuse the mobo power cable

The wires diameter are wide.

And the mobo power cable too

The modular connectors seems to be very interesting for an other project

All wires desoldered

Antec cadaver.

I made a test to see if the cable fits well.

Seems to fit good, but maybe it's a bit wide.
This is the diameter of the original PSU cable.

This one is from a generic psu

And this is the antec cable

Antec cable may be too wide, which would you use? a generic one or antec's?

Last edited by cmd_; 19th Mar 2009 at 03:43.
cmd_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 07:32   #43
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think if you sleeve the generic cable you might add a fair bit of thickness. But I'd roll with that one anyway :P
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 12:51   #44
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

antiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really good work so far!

Just one question, why dont you use a pci riser with a 90 degree angle with the sata controller? Then you could close the box without problems.

Keep up the good work!
antiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 14:27   #45
logan'srun
following the footsteps of giants

logan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremellogan'srun has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this may be a dumb question, but what's the harm in just adding wire in the middle and splicing those together? Is that bad for the PSu?

And to be honest - man you have b@lls of steel as I would be dirtying my drawers if I was to attempt rewiring completely a PSU (me EL noob)
logan'srun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 14:39   #46
stuartwood89
Please... Just call me Stu.

stuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I got all nervous just by changing the fan on my PSU, you must have some real guts (or knowhow, both are good).

Project - Storm Scout Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Propane View Post
I thought Dragonforce were like a joke/troll rock band? Ya'know, like Nickelback?
stuartwood89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2009, 02:34   #47
murtoz
Busy procrastinating

murtoz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd_ View Post
Tnh, Antec cable seems too long, or maybe I am just misunderstanding the pics... Looks like you are leading it round the motherboard before plugging it in. shorten it so it will go straight to the power connector.

Like someone else said, after sleeving the other cable you will be close tot he width of the antec cable anyways. Why not sortof flatten the cable - instead of having one round bunch of wires, have 2 or 3 flat rows of wires... I always find flat cables easier to route anyways.

Still looking fantasic btw!
murtoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2009, 02:35   #48
murtoz
Busy procrastinating

murtoz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan'srun View Post
And to be honest - man you have b@lls of steel as I would be dirtying my drawers if I was to attempt rewiring completely a PSU (me EL noob)
oh yeah, +1!
murtoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2009, 09:30   #49
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd_ View Post

I would sleeve the generic cable, it would save some space.

You daring enough to solder the power cable to the back of the motherboard, it would solve cable routing problems. And move you into the halls of legends! lol!

Even if you solder a power connector so the board can be removed easily.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2009, 12:51   #50
Htr-Labs
The Audiophile

Htr-Labs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan'srun View Post
this may be a dumb question, but what's the harm in just adding wire in the middle and splicing those together? Is that bad for the PSu?

@logan'srun - One splice to cut cables short is fine, as it will only affect the cables resistance by a totally trivial amount, we're talking 0.00003%-0.00005% difference, not even enough to make a jitter. That is of course assuming the soldering is almost perfect. I would not however splice in two places to make the cable longer, since that will significantly reduce voltage quality on the lines themselves. PSU modding is not as bad as it looks. Yes there are a lot of wires, you really just need to know where each one goes. And you are really only dealing with several voltages, i.e. 3.3V, 5V, and 12V and of course ground lines. Of course you also have different polarizations as well, i.e. -3.3V, +3.3v, etc. So overall it may look scary, but the main thing here is soldering skill, not knowledge of how the PSU operates (which is fairly easy to learn). The only reason I would not desolder directly from the PCB on the PSU is that it really will not make a difference quality or performance wise, just more aesthetically pleasing that is all. Here is an example of when I sleeved and shortened my Seasonic 500w M12.

As you can see here, I decided to splice mine to avoid messing up the beautiful soldering work on the Seasonic PCB. They are absolute genuineness when it comes to a clean PCB and layout of a PSU. Also, it took my about 8 hours to sleeve everything in here. Here are some Pics:

@cmd_ - BTW looking good on the NAS box bruh. I like the way you have been able to fit everything into that tiny box so far, very efficient and well thought out. Keep up the good work

Peace

Last edited by Htr-Labs; 24th Mar 2009 at 18:06. Reason: remove pics of sleeving.....see project log link at signature for pics
Htr-Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 00:55   #51
cmd_
Multimodder

5th Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiHero View Post
Really good work so far!

Just one question, why dont you use a pci riser with a 90 degree angle with the sata controller? Then you could close the box without problems.

Keep up the good work!
I've a pci riser, but is useless because its as taller as the sata controller.

---

Htr-Labs Thanks for your explanation about psu stuff.

---

Thank's all for the suggestions.
Finally I decided to use a sleeved generic cable. I've replaced the psu connectors because the psu generic atx connector had 20pin and the motherboard has 24pin.

With this tool the job was easy.

This is the original 24pin atx connector rady to be rewired.

1st wire.

One side completed.

All fitted.

Now the sleeving job.

Using a cable tie to keep all the wires together.

Danger! a hot-gun

~11mm

Occupies less space than the antec cable.

I use this modified gas compressor to blow air for cleaning purposes

Finally there is no dust.

Poor tiny cable, need to be replaced

This sata connectors does not have +3.3v line

An additional cable add +3.3v to the sata connectors

Ready to be plugged, but not now.

The other long cables.

I decided to clean the psu case.

And now, what all you were waiting for, the soldering process.

Soldered all wires except the main lines.

Only remains the ground line.

All soldered, sata wires still not sleeved.

Sata wires sleeved.

First test

Works!

I will put sata connectors to the cables when I'll know the final position of the hard drives.
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 09:52   #52
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Wow.

Just, WOW!
All that soldering and you get right straight off the bat.

Amazing.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 11:03   #53
stuartwood89
Please... Just call me Stu.

stuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Yeah, I won't be attempting anything like this any time soon.

Project - Storm Scout Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Propane View Post
I thought Dragonforce were like a joke/troll rock band? Ya'know, like Nickelback?
stuartwood89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 11:41   #54
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Excellently organised project log!!
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 12:10   #55
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
haha, nice to see the final death of the molex plug! YAY!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 18:26   #56
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Lovely work. Just keeping the 24pin plug organized would drive me crazy. To solder the whole thing back on the PSU is wild!
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 20:51   #57
BlackWhizz
Supermodder

BlackWhizz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whow, impressive! Really, i dont think i ever will do that, except for meshing psu's.
Old 24th Mar 2009, 14:11   #58
nissanskyrice
Terminally Lazy

nissanskyrice has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WOW!!! Great work so far. Cant wait to see the rest of your work on this project.
nissanskyrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2009, 18:11   #59
Htr-Labs
The Audiophile

Htr-Labs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Lovely work. Just keeping the 24pin plug organized would drive me crazy. To solder the whole thing back on the PSU is wild!

It's not really so bad considering you really only have 3 voltages (+/-) to worry about. Also the odd colored wires are mostly for report/ground. Soldering is the hardest part, since a lot of PCB's now use Lead free solder, you have to have an iron or mini torch that can melt that damn industrial strength crap they use.

@cmd_- Very good job on keeping everything neat and getting it working again. No doubt, working on a PSU is not for the faint of heart.
Old 14th Apr 2009, 13:26   #60
Macros_the_Black
Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Macros_the_Black has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent workmanship, photography and logging! All together very well thought out and presented!! I like A LOT!!!

Five stars:

Tags
atom, linux, mini-itx, nas, server

View Mode