bit-tech.net

Old 19th Mar 2009, 14:11   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
ATM malware discovered

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...e-discovered/1

Anti-virus vendor Sophos claims to have received code samples of a Trojan which aims to skim card details from Diebold cash machines.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 14:15   #2
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Now that is clever. Even though you need an employee to install it, it's still a clever method.
Old 19th Mar 2009, 14:24   #3
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I reckon Fred the Shred, might use this, as the excuse for losing £24 billion. Its wez not mes, twas the internets!
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 14:33   #4
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
lol, access to ATMs is surprisingly easy...

I saw an ATM crash to the windows desktop once, at which point i could use the touchscreen as a normal PC interface. I was able to start a command prompt, and was looking for the virtual keyboard to type "ipconfig", and then it was taken over remotely
Old 19th Mar 2009, 14:49   #5
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
haha this is great, i wonder how long its been in use and how wide spread it is..
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 14:51   #6
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh
lol, access to ATMs is surprisingly easy...

I saw an ATM crash to the windows desktop once, at which point i could use the touchscreen as a normal PC interface. I was able to start a command prompt, and was looking for the virtual keyboard to type "ipconfig", and then it was taken over remotely
Likewise, I've seen an ATM BSOD!! I would have lol'd but it ate my card.
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 15:37   #7
Dr. Strangelove
Supermodder

Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Dr. Strangelove is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD View Post
Likewise, I've seen an ATM BSOD!! I would have lol'd but it ate my card.
You have soo little money that your card caused a BSOD of the ATM!?????
Old 19th Mar 2009, 15:52   #8
Sirwashbrook
Bacon is good for me!

Sirwashbrook has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I work for IBM and fix cash machines and other in branch machines for HSBC/Abbey around the Midlands area mainly Birmingham , We have seen a vast rise in skimming devices and they are getting harder and harder to recognise , entire front panel covers are being made and they are very hard to spot , same paint , same facia parts eg card reader lips etc even stickers , so my advice is have a poke around before you use them ps and we seem to think that someone with ATM knowledge could be doing this
Sirwashbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 16:16   #9
Spaceraver
Ultramodder

Spaceraver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Happy that my bank uses proprietary software developed only by themselves
Spaceraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 16:24   #10
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceraver
u 100% sure?
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 16:34   #11
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceraver View Post
Even proprietary software may have been coded in India or Eastern Europe, due to outsourcing. Neither regions have the best reputation for security.
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 16:37   #12
Sirwashbrook
Bacon is good for me!

Wouldnt be so sure that the code is a secret , software gets passed around in IBM like pokemon cards to be honest , I have 3 sets of HSBC windows xp for atm's .
Old 19th Mar 2009, 17:31   #13
aggies11
Multimodder

aggies11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Windows-based ATM" - Why does that phrase send chills down my spine? Please tell me that is not the norm...
aggies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 17:40   #14
Sirwashbrook
Bacon is good for me!

yeah most use windows , some have independate software but are around 10 years old and about to go to windows
Old 19th Mar 2009, 17:58   #15
Otto69
Supermodder

Otto69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Windows Genuine Advantage has determined this ATM is running pirated software, shutting down..."
Otto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2009, 18:50   #16
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto69
"Windows Genuine Advantage has determined this ATM is running pirated software, shutting down..."
http://www.feedmeastraycat.com/feed_me_a_stray_cat.jpg
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2009, 00:00   #17
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies11
"Windows-based ATM" - Why does that phrase send chills down my spine? Please tell me that is not the norm...
It gets worse: Most ATMs use Win98, and I've personally seen some using Win95.
But then it gets better: I've also seen several running BSD.

Software and even full system HDD images from various ATMs circle around the net all the time, it's easy to find and buy one if you know where to look.
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2009, 03:36   #18
Saivert
Supermodder

Saivert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Also a lot of ATMs use OS/2 (renamed eComStation) as it was a very reliable operating system.
Old 20th Mar 2009, 10:58   #19
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i wish all ATM's were Unix based. Microsoft OS's seem to be a little excessive for an ATM, someone got rich!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote