bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Mar 2009, 15:10   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Games I Own: Grim Fandango

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/03...grim-fandango/
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 15:24   #2
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Grim Fandango is indeed awesome - it is known. I never actually managed to complete it, though, as the puzzles just got too obscure for me towards the end, and I'm loathe to look up the answers on the Internet - plus I've lost all my saved games from 1999.

All is not lost when it comes to cool, creative games - Tim Schafer is still creating great stuff. Psychonauts was similarly one of the best games ever, and managed to combine the dark, quirky and likeable characters of Grim Fandango with quicker-paced gameplay and puzzles. IPlus, it had an awesome soundtrack. 'm really hoping that Brutal Legend will come out for the PC at some point, as I really don't want to have to buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 just to play it!
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 15:35   #3
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticstoat
Grim Fandango is indeed awesome - it is known. I never actually managed to complete it, though, as the puzzles just got too obscure for me towards the end, and I'm loathe to look up the answers on the Internet - plus I've lost all my saved games from 1999.

All is not lost when it comes to cool, creative games - Tim Schafer is still creating great stuff. Psychonauts was similarly one of the best games ever, and managed to combine the dark, quirky and likeable characters of Grim Fandango with quicker-paced gameplay and puzzles. IPlus, it had an awesome soundtrack. 'm really hoping that Brutal Legend will come out for the PC at some point, as I really don't want to have to buy a PS3 or Xbox 360 just to play it!
I'm going to be seeing Brutal Legend soon hopefully (and interviewing Tim, wheee!), and I hope to get to the bottom of that then.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 15:45   #4
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have this somewhere about, but I could never get it to work properly on XP so gave up - and apparently the version of the game that was fixed to work with XP is rare as hens teeth. I think I got as far as getting in a lift, then the cd drive sounded like it was taking off.
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 15:52   #5
Jordan Wise
Baby called to see the boss...

Jordan Wise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As much as I've loved what I've played of this so far the puzzles are so unbelievably tricky that I doubt anyone has completed it without going to Gamefaqs or by owning some guide

Steam ID:jordanwise
Jordan Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 15:54   #6
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
There's a fan launcher out there which makes the game run in XP and Vista, 64Bit etc.

http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=launcher

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 23rd Mar 2009, 16:26   #7
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'll have to give that launcher a try, I bought the game but could never get it to work properly.

The demo worked fine, but the game would only run a little bit further than where the demo left off.

Same with Sam & Max - I'd get so far then it would blue screen.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2009, 19:54   #8
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
As far as I remember the game works just fine in XP (32bit). All I installed was the patch.

Fabulous game. Perhaps the best LucasArts adventure ever, and that's saying something!

"Viva la revolucion, agent Calavera!"
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2009, 12:32   #9
nicae
Multimodder

nicae has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Adventures were my favorite games. Dunno how I skipped Grim.. :\
How could this genre have dissappeared so intensely? :\

Can't wait to see your interview with Tim!
nicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2009, 13:10   #10
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicae View Post
Adventures were my favorite games. Dunno how I skipped Grim.. :\
How could this genre have dissappeared so intensely? :\

Can't wait to see your interview with Tim!
:O

If you like the genre then you need to find yourself a copy of Grim Fandango somewhere and give it a shot!

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 3rd Apr 2009, 00:41   #11
Yardstick
Minimodder

Yardstick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Currently playing it through again on my Eee - bring back many great memories.

I love the artwork so much, I still have the original box on display in my study.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2009, 13:26   #12
nicae
Multimodder

nicae has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
Currently playing it through again on my Eee - bring back many great memories.

I love the artwork so much, I still have the original box on display in my study.
The artwork was among the most charming elements of older adventure games. Monkey Island 1 and 2 had so much space for imagination!
The newer games, with high resolutions and more stylezed artwork kind of took away some of the charm.

The lack of space for imagination is one of the reasons why I believe modern games are so shallow and impact us so little. Take Crysis for example. It works so hard on giving you a ready-made world - visually speaking - that the player just goes through the story. In older games, it was the creation of a whole world! Warcraft 1 and Dune were good examples for me (:
C2D E8400 :: PNY 8800GT 512MB :: 2x2GB G.SKILL Pi Black DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 :: Asus Maximus Formula :: WindowsXP SP3 :: 2x320GB HDDs RAID0 :: Zalman CNPS9500 LED :: OCZ Freeze :: SevenTeam ST-550PAG 550W
nicae is offline   Reply With Quote