bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Mar 2009, 11:08   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Games I Own: The Thief Series

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/03...-thief-series/

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2009, 11:53   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I like the fact you've tagged the story with "my dad". I just love the idea of someone actually putting in the search term "my dad" and seeing what comes up.

Random fact 2: Isn't the Thief level Return to the Cathedral supposed to be one of the scariest ever or something?
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2009, 12:30   #3
proxymoron
Minimodder

proxymoron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thief (the first one) suffered the same fate for me - unable to get past the zombies because it was so, so different to the first level and so, so terrifying at the time. Really should go back and do it again. Also: System Shock 2 and, I was going to say the monkeys but really, System Shock 2 as a whole is too frightening for words.
proxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2009, 12:57   #4
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
I like the fact you've tagged the story with "my dad". I just love the idea of someone actually putting in the search term "my dad" and seeing what comes up.

Random fact 2: Isn't the Thief level Return to the Cathedral supposed to be one of the scariest ever or something?
There are two levels which often get awarded that honor; Return to The Cathedral from Thief 1 and The Cradle from the third game.

Return is a level which sees Garrett venturing into a sealed off part of the city to get into a haunted cathedral and steal a cursed gem called The Eye, which is constantly teasing and taunting him as he scrambles over rubble and past the undead, invulnerable keepers.

The Cradle is a similar set-up. It's an old, haunted orphanage and you go in looking for info. As you go through you uncover more and more of the history of the building - which was also an insane asylum at one point. Then you put together the idea that it was both an asylum and an orphanage at the same time.

I've literally seen dissertations written on how well designed both levels are and how they use sound and visual clues in such a clever, chilling way.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2009, 13:56   #5
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
I played thief a long while ago... i can't remember for the life of me why i stopped

On your special request, my greatest gaming achievement was in Destruction Derby 1 on the PS1. For those of you that know the game, in Race mode, i was able to push The Skum to 5th division and L-driver to 1st division while still winning 1st division, using the medium car.

... then i got a life.
Old 30th Mar 2009, 14:18   #6
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I wouldn't say Thief was overlooked by critics, pretty much every games writer I've read quotes it as one of their favorite games...

I remember playing it a long while ago, but not getting far, I guess I was too impatient back then, I probably tried to play it like a shooter. Perhaps I should go back and give them another go.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2009, 18:59   #7
Journeyer
Mod Master

Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Journeyer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think my greatest gaming achievement was finishing the text-driven King's Quest 1 without cheating.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX || FX-8150BE || 16Gb Corsair DDR3 1866Mhz || 2xGTX285 SLI || 2xOCZ Agility 3 120Gb RAID0 for OS
Journeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2009, 21:20   #8
Malketh
Multimodder

Malketh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the depth in the games the most, the way guards talk to each, or one of my favorite games within the game was to see how big a pile of knocked out bodies I could make in a level without killing anybody, only to find out that somehow I managed to get somebody killed. Turns out when I went back right before finishing the level, some poor knocked out guard managed to fall down the well and drowned.
** Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4 GHz ** Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe ** G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x 4GB 1600 MHz ** EVGA GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB ** Crucial M4 512GB SSD ** Plextor USB 2.0 Blu-Ray ** Corsair HX750 ** White Bitfenix Prodigy (modding in progress) ** 3x Dell 2412M (bezel corrected res of 3900x1920) **
Malketh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2009, 12:48   #9
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyer View Post
I think my greatest gaming achievement was finishing the text-driven King's Quest 1 without cheating.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2009, 13:00   #10
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So Joe when you going to cop to the crap games you own?
Old 1st Apr 2009, 14:34   #11
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I will be getting to that, trust me.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2009, 23:47   #12
Yardstick
Minimodder

Yardstick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxymoron
Thief (the first one) suffered the same fate for me - unable to get past the zombies because it was so, so different to the first level and so, so terrifying at the time.
Weird - I could play through the Ravenholm level in HL2, the spooky bits of STALKER and the Dunwich Building in Fallout 3 but the 2nd level of the original Thief really freaked me out at the time. I think it was because I couldn't kill the Zombies and I just found it very unsettling.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Nov 2011, 20:36   #13
barrkel
Multimodder

barrkel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The trick with the zombies is to run; realize that they're not very fast, and as long as you can keep moving and you're only facing zombies, you've got little to worry about.
barrkel is offline   Reply With Quote