bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:05   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Acer launches first Nvidia Ion PC

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...vidia-ion-pc/1

Acer officially reveals the PC previously known as Hornet, which is based on Nvidia's Ion platform and has an optional motion sensitive controller.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:13   #2
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Give it an internal Blu-Ray drive and i'm sold!
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 13:02   #3
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon
Give it an internal Blu-Ray drive and i'm sold!
Because that wouldn't double the price...

It'd be nice to see if the x64 extensions on the 230 would improve the HD playback at all..
Old 8th Apr 2009, 13:02   #4
Red Eye
Multimodder

Red Eye has yet to learn the way of the DremelRed Eye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is good news to me, I've never built a desktop before but I'm really impressed with the ION, cant wait to build my own machine with this in it.
Red Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 13:27   #5
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Maybe the next generation Networked Media Tank
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 14:01   #6
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lol at it being half a HTPC and half a wii. I have to say though, it does look like quite a good product.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 14:12   #7
n3mo
Multimodder

n3mo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow, it's the first time when Acer made something even potentially interesting.
n3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 14:27   #8
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Paragraph 3
Quote:
"Nvidia says that the Ion-based AspreRevo “can handle a wide variety of computing needs,"
AspireRevo?

Looks pretty cool, when will Bit-Tech get one to play with?
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 15:10   #9
interzen
Real men use chainsaws.

interzen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just .... gimme!

I read elsewhere that Acer will be punting this at the $300 price point, but even if it ends up being 300 it'd be a worthy replacement for the manky old mini-ITX box that is currently running my home webserver.

Hell, if they do one in white it'll look very nice sat on top of my Mac-styled HDMI switch :-)
interzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 18:08   #10
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't care specifically about this Acer-product, but it's nice to see that the Ion-systems are starting to get produced.

Ion will be the first real media-center for your living-room, with the capability of running BlueRay and 1080i HD videos flawlessly, where the so far used miniITX-systems failed to deliver enough performance.

Ion is small, powerfull enough for all media-tasks and silent to be used out of the box in your living-room.

Can't wait for more Ion-systems to be released.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 18:31   #11
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
I don't care specifically about this Acer-product, but it's nice to see that the Ion-systems are starting to get produced.

Ion will be the first real media-center for your living-room, with the capability of running BlueRay and 1080i HD videos flawlessly, where the so far used miniITX-systems failed to deliver enough performance.

Ion is small, powerfull enough for all media-tasks and silent to be used out of the box in your living-room.

Can't wait for more Ion-systems to be released.
+1
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 23:01   #12
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice, since my PC needs have matured over the last few years I no longer feel the need for expensive huge systems with everything I can fit into it. I am now after a small but powerful quiet computer that can run stuff at a decent performance rate but can also be hidden away under the desk, or even on a book shelf by the sounds of it
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2009, 00:53   #13
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so wait the lawsuits have been settled then???
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2009, 03:08   #14
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Price be-damned! At least give me the option of having an internal Blu-Ray drive. I'd rather not have to hook up an external drive to it... that somewhat defeats the purpose of having a small form pc.

That being said, I hope that I never get to such tight living quarters where I don't have the room for a decent sized tower that I can put multiple drives in. Sure, an air cooled tower emits some noise, but seriously? Do you not run audio to a decent set of speakers that covers that slight bit of ambient noise? Only time I hear fan whir is if the audio has gone dead silent.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Thermaltake Smart M 850W - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2009, 12:50   #15
Red Eye
Multimodder

Red Eye has yet to learn the way of the DremelRed Eye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the naming of the device, wasn't the codename for the Nintendo Wii the 'Revolution'. Could there be any possibility Nintendo could sue?
Old 15th Apr 2009, 16:06   #16
zhangmaster12
Hypermodder

zhangmaster12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Im sold!
once this thing comes out in the US, imma snatch one!
Old 26th Apr 2009, 23:40   #17
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If it does not have digital out then it is a no buy...
Old 27th Apr 2009, 00:05   #18
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO <ibis> View Post
If it does not have digital out then it is a no buy...
HDMI is included.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 00:05   #19
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eye View Post
I love the naming of the device, wasn't the codename for the Nintendo Wii the 'Revolution'. Could there be any possibility Nintendo could sue?
It gets better than that - Acer are including a white, wireless gaming "mouse" to control a bundled set of Wii-like PC games too.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote