bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:12   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Konami's Fallujah game meets controversy

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-controversy/1

Konami has come under fire for creating a video game based on the Battle of Fallujah, which is utterly predictable.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:29   #2
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Any word on the release date?

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:33   #3
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nope. Nor platforms.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:36   #4
Gremlin
Multimodder

Gremlin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have to agree with McNabb on this one
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:43   #5
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin
Me too, though my personal opinion is that this is still a bit despicable in the way that Konami is clearly just going to sell copies based on this very-obviously engineered controversy.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:57   #6
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It would be fine if they could truly portray the horror and personal loss of those 6 days. But this is Konami, I don't think they can. If it's just another generic war game I would consider it unacceptable.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:58   #7
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I agree with McNabb, even though I can't stand the man.

If Konami do it right, this game could probably bring more to the eyes and ears of people who don't read the news, or haven't been in the line of fire.

I, personally, don't think any real-war based video games 'glorify' death on either side, which makes it harder for me to fathom where the people protesting are coming from.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 13:52   #8
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
based on the stories of survivors from the battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ergo
the game will help communicate the atrocity of war
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Keys
glorifying it in a videogame
sorry Reg, but that's fail on your part. Sounds like the aim of the game is not to glorify it at all, but to highlight the bad parts

Then again, that's assuming the game is done properly - guns jamming all the time, vehicles not working, pick up armour labelled as "fully functional" and only get 10% armour points, insurgents dressed as civilians, severe penalties and/or "Game Over" when you shoot an actual civilian, one hit kills to the player - that kind of stuff.
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 14:19   #9
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't see how they can pick on this one out of any other game that's based on real events, other than this time its still a current event.

I sometimes wonder if the people who protest about whatever it is that has them annoyed have an axe to grind or are being goaded along by the media. Is anyone surprised that the Daily Mail is involved with this?
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 14:24   #10
seveneleven
Minimodder

seveneleven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin
Me too, though my personal opinion is that this is still a bit despicable in the way that Konami is clearly just going to sell copies based on this very-obviously engineered controversy.
Isn't striving for higher ratings on the news companies' part basically the same thing (profit) ?
seveneleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 14:54   #11
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can't see the problem tbh.
Whether the game is your standard FPS bullet-fest or a story-based masterpiece that portrays the event realy well, its still just entertainment based on a real event.

Nobody seems to have issues with movies, books, documentaries, live footage in the news etc from any past or current wars so why suddenly have a hissy-fit about a game?

Retarded imo... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 15:13   #12
TGImages
Grandpa

TGImages has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
" It's on the TV, there are books about it. The game is a natural extension to that; it is folklore. The only difference being that it is presented in a different medium"

There is one big difference. TV and Books present something to you. A game is interactive.Comparing a book to a documentary or news broadcast would be a different medium. Comparing a book to a game is much more than just a different medium.
TGImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 15:33   #13
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
'Glorified', you god damn retards, did you miss the part where Marines who were a part of the operations in Fallujah are behind this game creatively? Yeah, I'm sure they're gonna glorify it when they were there themselves. *rolls eyes*

Hypocrisy abound. I pray Konami will pay them absolutely no mind.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 18:32   #14
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
"It's much too soon to start making videogames about a war that's still going on"

I don't see why it makes a diffrence that the war is still going on.. indeed it is no news that wee are getting this from people who lost children in the war or seved there themselves, but please stop comlaining about this.

I just hope Konami is not just doing this to get some PR because of this, even thoug that is properly the main reason..

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 19:17   #15
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I wouldn't play this.. they need to make a video game with these 2 guys instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uQ7BwA5EKc

where you try to run over hardbender in your taxi
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2009, 23:37   #16
Lazarus Dark
Supermodder

Lazarus Dark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman
'Glorified', you god damn retards, did you miss the part where Marines who were a part of the operations in Fallujah are behind this game creatively? Yeah, I'm sure they're gonna glorify it when they were there themselves. *rolls eyes*

Hypocrisy abound. I pray Konami will pay them absolutely no mind.
My brother in law (Marine) arrived in Fallujah like the day after the big push they're talking about here (I remember my mother-in-law freaking out. this was his first tour of Iraq (already went to Afghanistan once) and we knew where he was headed before the battle started, we actually thought he was already there when the news came.) I asked him what he thought of them making a game (He's the biggest gamer I know actually). He shrugged and said okay, it's no different than any of the WWII games. He might try it when it comes out.
Old 8th Apr 2009, 23:37   #17
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
It's a game. Calm down world.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2009, 00:40   #18
Red 5
Hypermodder

Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Red 5 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I can see how the game could be a natural extension of already existing media if done right but I would have thought games companies would have stayed away after Sony's "Shock and Awe" controversy, especially a company as respected as Konami.

Personally, I refuse to buy any game set in a real-world conflict. I'm not saying others should, just that I do.
Red 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2009, 02:23   #19
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't think anyone should judge the game before there is actually something to play and review. Until then, it's pure speculation.

If done well, it could be thought provoking and encourage discussion. If done poorly, it could be thought provoking and encourage discussion.

For better are worse, games are a form of art. Art can be entertaining as well as disturbing.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2009, 02:54   #20
1ad7
Supermodder

1ad7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
its art let it be I wish more company's would have the guts to do things like this. No matter what the topic as long as it is done in a tasteful manner its good.
1ad7 is offline   Reply With Quote