bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Apr 2009, 10:42   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Skype founders want it back

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...want-it-back/1

Rumour has it that the original founders of voice over IP service Skype are looking to buy the company back from eBay after selling it off in 2005.

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2009, 11:35   #2
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well if they do get it back I hope the do something about the latest version. I took one look at version 4 and went straight back to 3.8!
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2009, 11:38   #3
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I believe I still run some v2.x. Hardly ever use Skype these days. Started off like a cool gadget, then somehow I lost interest. Didn't really get better with all the accusations flying around how Skype would cooperate with the NSA and the like.
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2009, 12:17   #4
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
I believe I still run some v2.x. Hardly ever use Skype these days. Started off like a cool gadget, then somehow I lost interest. Didn't really get better with all the accusations flying around how Skype would cooperate with the NSA and the like.
Terrorist circles the world over had to find a new way to communicate, damn them!
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2009, 12:33   #5
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yep, hope they can get rid of the crap-fest that is Skype 4.x
It's WAY too bloated now, for not much increase by way of user-level enhancements.
Old 13th Apr 2009, 22:27   #6
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
despite the service having grown to a massive 405 million members
I do wonder how many of those are active/actually use it. How many people do you know who use Skype? I know only one person that actively uses it ...
Old 13th Apr 2009, 22:51   #7
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
my room mates and i use it as communicator as keeping the door open and shouting during gaming isn't very effective. usually 4 to 5 hours long gaming session with Sins of Solar Empire.

i love skype, voice quality is fantastic and very low bandwidth useage. and i love it even more now that it's on iphone
Old 13th Apr 2009, 23:08   #8
Faulk_Wulf
Internet Addict

Faulk_Wulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A friend of mine, his girlfriend is from South Korea. She uses it to talk to her parents back home for cheap. And he uses it to talk to her when she visits there the summer.
Faulk_Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 00:32   #9
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Only time I ever used Skype was to call my brother when he worked in America.
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 02:26   #10
Carcarius
What's a Dremel?

Carcarius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LOL, they get paid ~$3B for it and could conceivably get it back for a fraction of that. Wow, what a deal!!! That's alost as good a deal that Larry Silverstein got for buying the WTC buildings for a few billion (a couple weeks before 9/11) and then getting paid double that from the insurance companies.

If they get Skype back they will be my heroes.
Carcarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 05:26   #11
StooJ
What's a Dremel?

StooJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, sell ebay a product for a (vastly inflated) price, but shaft them down the road with licensing of the underlying technology? Why are IT companies such smegheads?
StooJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 07:09   #12
Prestidigitweeze
"Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

Prestidigitweeze has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrestidigitweeze has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrestidigitweeze has yet to learn the way of the DremelPrestidigitweeze has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I use Skype to call my GF on my PSP at work.

Better not to tie up business phone lines when clients might be trying to call; better not to pay cell prices for gabbing worldwide when one's main use of one's cell is as a walkie-talkie.

(My boss is a fanatical gamer, so no one balks at the sight of a PSP when our workload is nonexistent.)
Old 14th Apr 2009, 09:16   #13
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Its with all those nice tools. It starts as a simple to use, fast little program. And with each version update they fill it with stuff they think the user needs. For example Skype, MSN, ICQ, ACDsee and even virus scanners.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 09:26   #14
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
...That is some very cute business there.

I use Skype as often as most people think about sex, so if they make the program suck less, then I'm all for it.

Latest version is god-awful.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 10:53   #15
Nictron
Multimodder

Nictron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Skype on mobile devices like android, iPhone? That could grow the revenue stream by miles in the future.
Nictron is offline   Reply With Quote