bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Apr 2009, 15:52   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
SandForce launches first SSD range

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ew-ssd-range/1

SandForce has announced its first range of SSDs for enterprise and mobile use, and it has a trick up its sleeve in the form of a neat new controller dubbed Duraclass.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 16:05   #2
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Cool Idea but unless this works as promised I think that this will be a flop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 16:21   #3
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
All the technological innovation coming from the competition in the SSD market is great, but until that competition starts really hammering the prices down I'll still class SSDs up there with SLI and Raptors - too expensive for the benefits gleaned.
When the prices DO finally come down it'll be glorious, though.
Old 14th Apr 2009, 16:38   #4
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
Lets wait and see I guess, the more competition the better - I'm looking forward to buying a nice large affordable SSD in a couple of years without any speed degredation problems.
Old 14th Apr 2009, 17:15   #5
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurechial
All the technological innovation coming from the competition in the SSD market is great, but until that competition starts really hammering the prices down I'll still class SSDs up there with SLI and Raptors - too expensive for the benefits gleaned.
When the prices DO finally come down it'll be glorious, though.
Prices have been dropping rapidly for the last year or so, its just that they started so high its still going to take a while before most people would consider using one in their system, and probably a few years before large numbers of people replace all their HDD's with SSD's.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 21:07   #6
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What is it with companies sending out press releases boasting cheaper than the rival products, only to not mention any prices at all?!
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 23:26   #7
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
I doubt that they'll be able to increase the lifespan of MLC drives just with a new controller, I'll wait till SLC gets cheaper.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with this drive to make it so cheap?

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148185)

64gb, SLC and under $200..
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 23:36   #8
ChuckyP83
Minimodder

ChuckyP83 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I liken the SLC vs MLC debate to 10k vs. 7k HDDs. To certain markets the differences DO indeed make a difference. But to the average user there isn't a whole lot of tangible benefit. And the performance to price ratio (as far as the average or power user (not corporate)) will soon come to favor MLC once the technology is mature enough.
ChuckyP83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2009, 23:42   #9
DeX
Mube Codder

DeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It was interesting reading the details of the controller's magic in this article: http://digg.com/d1obHO but I'd really like to see this one in bit-tech's labs to see if it's really all it's cracked up to be.
DeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2009, 05:05   #10
MajestiX
Multimodder

MajestiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
see how the announcement came after intel addressed the wearing issue with the new firmware?

conspiracy alert!
MajestiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2009, 07:16   #11
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Sandforce is a terrible name.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2009, 14:33   #12
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd View Post
Sandforce is a terrible name.
So true, lol .
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is offline   Reply With Quote