bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Apr 2009, 12:36   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Games I Own: EVE Online

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/04...wn-eve-online/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2009, 13:16   #2
Millusdk
Multimodder

Millusdk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I must say i love Eve-online too
They have resently overhauled the new player experience in an attemt to better help new players into the game. Especially the way you create a new character has been massively changed. Give it a try sometime
Old 16th Apr 2009, 13:22   #3
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, it's like a bigger, more complicated MMO version of X3? Neat. Might give the trial a go, but the chances of me playing an MMO longterm are practically non-existent.

I like these huge space games, but all the same I want a dev to come out with another Freespace 2 or X-Wing Alliance...
Paradigm Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2009, 13:28   #4
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I really enjoyed the trial I had some time ago. It resembled a mix of Elite and Homeworld for me and could be as deep and involving or casual as you liked.
Old 16th Apr 2009, 13:30   #5
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
loleve, i quit well over a year ago now
bitter vet reporting in
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2009, 13:43   #6
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Technically, I think you'll find you can never own an MMO. You can only rent it by the month

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2009, 13:43   #7
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I keep trying with Eve. I have done since 2005, when I first started trying to play it, I spent hours planning my character tree, and then hours moving that across to the skill timers/planners that're kicking about the net.

I kept losing interest because I have no idea where I'd want to go. Ideally, manufacture/design, but doing that was so damned hard, costly, and well, time consuming, I often stopped before I started, really.

It's easily my favourite MMO, despite the fact that I rarely play it. Well, rarely try to play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
Technically, I think you'll find you can never own an MMO. You can only rent it by the month
..Pedant =P
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506

Last edited by liratheal; 16th Apr 2009 at 13:45. Reason: saving double posting.
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2009, 19:07   #8
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have it running right now! I offed a shadow serpentis admiral in his megathron battleship last nite. I love my hyperion, its just a big super tank battleship.
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2009, 19:12   #9
Cutter McJ1b
Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Cutter McJ1b has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicobalt
I have it running right now! I offed a shadow serpentis admiral in his megathron battleship last nite. I love my hyperion, its just a big super tank battleship.
Yeah Hyperions are awesome. I'll be cross-training to Gallente soon so I can be the other end of their guns.
Cutter McJ1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2009, 21:10   #10
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
I made two trial accounts. Unfortunately I don't have money to play it, even tho I really do want to play it.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2009, 10:10   #11
Mister_X
Chaotic Neutral

Mister_X has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am playing it for the second time, the first being about 2 years ago and I was really enjoying it until.....

Just skilled up and saved enough for my first cruiser, ugly as sin but decently specced Moa. Spend ages kitting it out with Missile launchers , projectile weapons, modules etc. Had yet to use it in a fight, the plastic wrap still on the seats.
I then go to the market to buy a skill, excellent its only 2 jumps away says I.
Only problem is, the last jump is in 0.4 security. I arrive and My ship is destroyed in under 5 seconds by 2 pirates( thats not an exageration). For no reason, and I had absolutely no way to defend or avoid it.
I fully understand thats part of the game. But it is just terribly frustrating to have that hard work erased in 5 seconds.
Yeah I was insured, yeah i had enough money for another. But it has sapped my desire to play. At least for now.
Mister_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2009, 10:11   #12
Mister_X
Chaotic Neutral

oh and they podded me for good measure :-/
Old 17th Apr 2009, 10:17   #13
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Played the Beta, but never could convince myself to cntinue for the (then) quite high monthly charge...

Looks like a few rainy days ahead of me though, and some free time, so i might give the trial another go
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2009, 10:18   #14
Millusdk
Multimodder

Millusdk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Mister_X:
When i just need to pick up skills and stuff smaller than 10.0m3 in size, i use my shuttle, they are cheap and fast... Saves you the frustration of loosing your ship, i currently fly a Maller with total gear worth at least 20mio, i would really hate to loose it, i can't afford to loose that ship, even though i know the eve mantra: "If you can't afford to loose it, don't fly it"
Old 17th Apr 2009, 10:24   #15
Voluntary_Pariah
a Real Man™

Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Voluntary_Pariah is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i played on a free trial a while ago (two updates, i think) and I found the graphics amazing, the gameplay staggering, and the people friendly (till i turned up in the middle of a battle and started to steal all the salvage )

However, the steep learning curve really put me off. But if the intro and tutorial stuff has been re-worked, I might give it a go

P.s: If anyone has a full Eve account and wants to baby-sit me while I get my space legs, it would be most appreciated
Old 17th Apr 2009, 11:12   #16
Mister_X
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millusdk
@Mister_X:
When i just need to pick up skills and stuff smaller than 10.0m3 in size, i use my shuttle, they are cheap and fast... Saves you the frustration of loosing your ship, i currently fly a Maller with total gear worth at least 20mio, i would really hate to loose it, i can't afford to loose that ship, even though i know the eve mantra: "If you can't afford to loose it, don't fly it"
Yeah your right. If i re-subscribe i'll do that....
Old 17th Apr 2009, 11:18   #17
Cutter McJ1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_X
oh and they podded me for good measure :-/
Yeah sorry to hear that it got you so down. EVE is a school of hard knocks and there's many a lesson to be learned the hard way.

I'm a Pirate in the game and generally will kill anything that moves but if the person is new and gets very offended or upset about getting jumped in lowsec, I'll always lend some words of encouragement. because it's good for everyone to get new players into the game.

Stay out of lowsec space at all costs and you'll be fine and like Millusdk pointed out, if you need a skillbook or something small that is in a lowsec system, grab a shuttle.

Hope you get back into the game and enjoy its many wonders =)
Old 17th Apr 2009, 11:21   #18
Mister_X
Chaotic Neutral

Thanks Cutter,
I'll certainly see about getting back into it.
Old 17th Apr 2009, 11:57   #19
Bungle
Rainbow Warrior

Bungle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not sure if CCP managed to improve large fleet battles, but last time I played (must be 2 years ago). fleet battles were unplayable. Use to regularly get my battleship podded before my screen had finished loading after a fleet jump. A real shame cos Eve's uniqueness in a plethora of mediocre MMO was a refreshing change from the norm.
Old 17th Apr 2009, 12:10   #20
Cutter McJ1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle
Not sure if CCP managed to improve large fleet battles, but last time I played (must be 2 years ago). fleet battles were unplayable. Use to regularly get my battleship podded before my screen had finished loading after a fleet jump. A real shame cos Eve's uniqueness in a plethora of mediocre MMO was a refreshing change from the norm.
Very true. A few years ago they were uberlaggy. Fleet battles are MUCH better these days. I believe CCP spent a lot of money updating their server hardware including the use of SSDs to make things run smoother. Occasionally you get a laggy fight when something goes wrong but generally theyre fine, especially if you turn the effects down/off when you know you're in for a big engagement.