1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Help with mouse controls in Deux Ex on a modern PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by books, 19 Apr 2009.

1. books

books What's a Dremel?

Hey all, I wasn't sure if I should put this in tech support or not.

Anyway, I have Deus Ex (the first one) and I haven't played it for many years and I wanted to play it again. I installed it and patched and I have it running on one core so that is fine.

Everything works great, except the mouse control. Basically, the view/crosshair doesn't seem to like moving diagonally. I can move the view up/down or left/right perfectly smooth, and it will go diagonally a BIT, but it seems sticky and gets kind of stuck when it goes diagonally. In a FPS... this really isn't good.

I spent a while googling it, and apparently the problem is really common and I found a solution. The solution is to use the in game console and set "UseDirectInput" to "True". This fixes it and makes it perfectly smooth - but it has a nasty side effect of having no mouse control at all in the inventory screens. Sadly, this makes the game unplayable because you have to be able to click stuff in your Augs/Inventory/etc, and you can't scroll through dialogue etc.

Does anyone know a solution to this? It's still a popular game so I was surprised I couldn't find a solution on google, but maybe someone here knows?

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Does your mouse have drivers available? That might help. E.g., Logitech Setpoint.

There are others? :lol:

3. books

books What's a Dremel?

Got the latest set point. It seems to be a problem that most people have, because the game uses "DirectInput" which doesn't play well with modern PC's. I heard using an old mouse with a wheel fixes it, but I'm not sure if that's true and if I could find one.

p.s. And yeah there was a sequel:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_War

Many like to pretend it didn't exist though :eyebrow:

4. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Ooh must get round to playing this game, its on my "Must play" list. Has anyone played it on the PS2? or is it better on the PC to which it was intended?

5. books

books What's a Dremel?

Ohhh don't play the PS2 version, what ever you do :)

Although, unless you somehow avoid this problem I have, it won't be perfect on the PC either. In the meantime, I would suggest playing System Shock 2 if you haven't. As much as I love Deus Ex, System Shock 2 is probably my favourite. The fact that I can get that to work perfectly on XP/Vista is a nice bonus too.

If you like sneaking around though, "Thief: Deadly Shadows" (also known as Thief III) is about the best. I still prefer System Shock 2 to that game, but I always thought that Thief was the best for stealthy missions.

6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

My point exactly ;)

If you have the latest Setpoint, then it looks like it's just an incompatibility with your mouse and the system Deus Ex uses to control mouse input :(
    If you take a deeper look into your Google searches, someone may have found a proper workaround.

Also, Thief: Deadly Shadows is awesome ;) Third-person + sneaky works excellently, but the wall-climbing is a complete waste of time/very badly done. And the orphanage level is ridiculously scary. Also, I never fully completed it, I got stuck on the level with the stone monsters and have since lost the disc (as well as buying a new computer) :(

7. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Thanks bud, both System Shock 2 and Thief are on my "must play" list along with Deus Ex. Will stay away from the PS2 version for sure then, just prefer playing on it since my laptop is atrocious at almost everything.

8. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Have you tried editing DeusEx.ini in the system folder? (As opposed to using the console.) It's been years since I played it, so I may be completely wrong, but I guess your best bet is in there. Make a copy before editing so you can go back on mistakes.

9. books

books What's a Dremel?

Success!! Thank you!!

I did a search on google for Deus Ex Setpoint and one of the links was to a forum and someone had posted this:
    That worked first time :) I tried with setpoint off and it did nothing, but Setpoint itself allows you to do this, and it worked great :)

Ahh laptops yeah :( Desktops always have the upper hand against even the best of laptops. It's quite an old game though so you might be ok with it.

By the way, now that I got this problem out the way, the game is perfect. It runs at high resolution and widescreen too, and the dual core bug is easy to fix too, so it works great now :) If you do play it and have any problems, feel free to PM me or post here.

That helped me too. I used that when fixing the resolutions and stuff, but also when I changed the DirectInput option with the in game console, it never seemed to allow me to turn it back. So I edited the ini file again to turn it back, and then after my setpoint tweak, it now works :)