bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Apr 2009, 12:01   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
"Apple is ahead of digital distribution rivals"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ribution-riv/1

Simon Oliver, the man behind Rolando, says that Sony and Nintendo are miles behind Apple when it comes to digital distribution.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 12:25   #2
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Valve is waaay ahead of Apple.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 12:38   #3
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
He may be a tiny bit biased
I think tiny bit is an understatement . lol
Old 21st Apr 2009, 12:51   #4
Ross1
Multimodder

Ross1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run CrysisRoss1 can run Crysis
Its nice to that a large amount of shovel ware is being directed where it wont bother me.
Ross1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 15:01   #5
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think everything quote in that article can safely be ignored as largely biased bullshit.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 15:09   #6
Sebbo
Multimodder

Sebbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Apple may have a streamlined distribution model, but as for development you're basically screwed as an indie dev unless you have two things:
1) An Intel Mac of some sort
2) extra money to splash around to purchase (1), and the US$500 Apple Developer Membership to even be able to run your own code on your own iPhone!
All fine and dandy for those who have them, for everyone else, Steam and XNA are surely better options (Steam for their distribution model, XNA because it is quite easy)
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Sebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 15:36   #7
Boogle
Supermodder

Boogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbo View Post
Apple may have a streamlined distribution model, but as for development you're basically screwed as an indie dev unless you have two things:
1) An Intel Mac of some sort
2) extra money to splash around to purchase (1), and the US$500 Apple Developer Membership to even be able to run your own code on your own iPhone!
All fine and dandy for those who have them, for everyone else, Steam and XNA are surely better options (Steam for their distribution model, XNA because it is quite easy)
1. All Macs are Intel macs now - and they're not that expensive. A mac mini uses your existing kit - for entry to a non-PC platform its dirt cheap. You can always make a hacintosh for your initial dev.
2. Apple iphone dev license is $99 (£59 in the UK). It lasts for a year, and has to be renewed. However, if you don't want to use any hardware-specific features (accelerometer, GPS, etc.) then the simulator works fine and you don't need to spend the $99. Compared to console license fees, $99 might as well be free - I'm sure its just to weed out any script kiddies who want to send hundreds of rubbish apps at Apple's application process. Still $99 for a system where you make an app, submit it to Apple, and they then handle EVERYTHING. You just worry about marketing (most don't even worry about that). Their cut is also one of the lowest cuts in the industry - 30%.
3. Ye, I know you didn't have a 3rd, but I'm adding one. Programming for the iphone is fun. It has somewhat basic resource-constrained hardware which is always entertaining to work with.

While the guy is biased, he's far from outright wrong. I've been in a similar situation, and the iphone is by far the easiest non-PC development platform to target. Hell, given the somewhat low costs involved, it makes for a fun diversion for us full-time programmers with the potential for your little apps to make you some pocket money on the side.
Boogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 19:01   #8
Dreaming
Supermodder

Dreaming has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]Valve is waaay ahead of Apple.
This by about a million times.

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 9800GT OC 1GB | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B (with top blowhole mod) | | LG 32LH4000 + Samsung 226BW 22"
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote