bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Apr 2009, 14:04   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Team post Braille ebook concept

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...book-concept/1

Targeting a currently under-served market, a team of designers has come up with a concept for a Braille ebook reader device - a Kindle for the blind.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 14:30   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Now that is cool!
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 14:47   #3
EvilRusk
Multimodder

EvilRusk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow that is such an obviously awesome product I can't believe I didn't think of it. It could have a significant impact on the range of books available to the blind. Any book that is electronic could be ready to read. Although it may have a limited market it would open millions more books to the blind (anything in e-print). Not just e-books though, what about any information? Wireless braille readers could allow blind people to access all kinds of information in public buildings (like information on what services are available to blind users etc etc).

Sometimes you just might want to read instead of listen, I can imagine "robo-voice" would get pretty tiring after a while!
EvilRusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 15:00   #4
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think this is a great idea. It would be even better if you combine this tech into a normal reader so a family with a blind member could share a library and device with another family member.
Old 21st Apr 2009, 16:17   #5
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is great, hopefully this takes off.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 16:19   #6
War-Rasta
Supermodder

War-Rasta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome idea! I don't know really any blind people but i can imagine this would be useful for them pretty much as regular ebook readers are for everybody else. The market will surely be a lot smaller but i believe it would still be big enough for this to be feasible.
Old 21st Apr 2009, 17:52   #7
tranc3
ADHD Modder

tranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fantastic idea, always love to see technology making peoples lives easier.
Old 21st Apr 2009, 21:27   #8
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why would braille need such hi-tech displays? Aren't the letters all laid out in a grid, pretty sure braille screenreaders exist already.. colour me unimpressed
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2009, 21:48   #9
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
i had the same had the same idea 5 years ago when i met a blind colegue that used a laptop with a screen reader, he even said that if the letters on the screen were elevated it would be enough, he even said something about feeling pictures with this method.
Old 22nd Apr 2009, 03:36   #10
woodshop
UnSeenly

woodshop has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n View Post
Why would braille need such hi-tech displays? Aren't the letters all laid out in a grid, pretty sure braille screenreaders exist already.. colour me unimpressed
size weight, and duality.
they are still largely mechanical devices as such they are limited in what they can display and how much can be displayed at a time.
woodshop is offline   Reply With Quote