bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Custom PC > Magazine Discussion

Old 28th May 2012, 20:57   #1
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

Darkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Does anyone else find Robert Florence unfunny?

I've read CPC for a good while. I don't subscribe, but I still buy it each month. I now hate the end, because of Robert Florence's article each month. I find him unfunny, patronizing and quite idiotic.

I love his works, the writing he's done for several sitcoms and panel shows. This stuff he's writing here though, it just isn't good. I get it; he's just getting back into computing, but each article makes a massive mockery of it. I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi, and am always horrified to see most of his article riddled with grammatical errors.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this as well?
Old 28th May 2012, 20:59   #2
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
He just irritates me and is a perfect example of how CPC is become a "Stuff"style magazine.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:23   #3
Shangri-La
Minimodder

Shangri-La has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
After reading his latest column, I'm not sure it's meant to be funny. To be honest, I'm not sure what it's meant to be (no disrespect, just an observation).

I know I'm off topic here but I thought it was a good issue. There seemed to be more reviews and Custom Kit was greatly improved by being more hardware orientated.

I'm still struggling with the opinion pieces at the front. Tracy King gets a very quick skim, not read the Lucy Sherrriff yet but will do, my indifference to the world of mobile technology remains (sorry Gareth ), and while it's very worthy and all, I'm just not sure how I feel about Jim Killock... I can't say one way or the other.

Saying all that, a solid issue and the best for quite a while.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:30   #4
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

Darkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming SaiyanDarkwisdom is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think that all the other stuff is interesting, but it's not supposed to be there in my opinion.

It is a magazine for enthusiasts of computing. I think they should've kept it that way. I read every page, including Tracy king (mostly because she's smokin' hot) and Robert Florence even though he irritates me. I keep hoping it'll get better; if it doesn't they might lose themselves a customer here.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:31   #5
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwisdom View Post
I think that all the other stuff is interesting, but it's not supposed to be there in my opinion.

It is a magazine for enthusiasts of computing. I think they should've kept it that way. I read every page, including Tracy king (mostly because she's smokin' hot) and Robert Florence even though he irritates me. I keep hoping it'll get better; if it doesn't they might lose themselves a customer here.
Totally, if I wanted to read a blog then I would read a blog. Compared to the discussions found in the forums they are very shallow and boring.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:35   #6
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight View Post
Totally, if I wanted to read a blog then I would read a blog. Compared to the discussions found in the forums they are very shallow and boring.
So true. I can spend hours just speaking about things on here on massive scales. I read CPC and can think of a million things they should've mentioned in their articles.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:37   #7
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

They should be reviewing hardware, doing something that we cannot do at home. I have always hated the double page spread of random gadgets, such a waste of space! If I wanted mindless gadget picking I would read something like Nuts.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:41   #8
Shangri-La
Minimodder

Quote:
Being brutally honest, I agree with you and ultimately it's a fair bit of content that I'm paying for but which offers no/ little value. I'm not considering cancelling my sub. at the moment though.

Last edited by Shangri-La; 29th May 2012 at 07:35.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:42   #9
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

I sometimes like the gadgets, but normally only the PC orientated. I love it when the gadget section has things they can't really review in the rest of the magazine, like USB gadgets.

They dedicated a large portion of one to the giant Lego super destroyer. 300 is a lot, but who will buy it if they see in a PC magazine? I think anyone with that much money to burn on useless crap would pay out for things in their PC.

They should overhaul the gadget section and put things that we'd love to see. Review cable braiding, fun USB gadgets or the latest Mousemat, not 300 LEGO models.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:51   #10
Shangri-La
Minimodder

Quote:
I sometimes like the gadgets, but normally only the PC orientated. I love it when the gadget section has things they can't really review in the rest of the magazine, like USB gadgets.

They dedicated a large portion of one to the giant Lego super destroyer. 300 is a lot, but who will buy it if they see in a PC magazine? I think anyone with that much money to burn on useless crap would pay out for things in their PC.

They should overhaul the gadget section and put things that we'd love to see. Review cable braiding, fun USB gadgets or the latest Mousemat, not 300 LEGO models.
I completely agree,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
And 'Custom kit' is what? Toys, mouse mats, fancy heaters, fancy vacuum cleaners and the odd interesting thing. Don't get me wrong, I used to like 'Custom kit' but now it throws the lack of other hardware content into sharp relief, making me want to punch it.
ETA: Except the mousemats.

Last edited by Shangri-La; 28th May 2012 at 22:13.
Old 28th May 2012, 22:16   #11
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Without the columns and opinion pieces, the mag would get stale PDQ. There's a limit to how many modding articles you can cram into an issue before you start scraping the barrel, rehashing and repeating. Call it padding if you will, but I like most of the new columns. The jury is still out on Mr Florence but, in the main, I'm encouraged by the transition the mag has undergone.

It's by no means perfect, but it never was.

Quote:
Totally, if I wanted to read a blog then I would read a blog.
You know the difference between a blog and an opinion piece in a magazine? One is printed on paper!

Quote:
Compared to the discussions found in the forums they are very shallow and boring.
And yet, most of the earlier criticism was due the fact that it was becoming difficult to separate the mag and the site. Oh, the irony.

3770K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|780|3007WFP-HC|PS07
Old 28th May 2012, 22:18   #12
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
And yet, most of the earlier criticism was due the fact that it was becoming difficult to separate the mag and the site. Oh, the irony.
I just want hardware reviews and news, no blogs, no columns just technology
Old 28th May 2012, 22:33   #13
Spreadie

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The weird thing is, as much as I love it, I'm less enamoured by the changes to the site; namely, the increase in pop-up ads and the like. That one across the bottom of the screen is pissing me off royally at the moment. I was on for around an hour at lunchtime, and I got the frikkin thing on every page, every refresh, EVERY DAMN TIME!

I know they have to strike a balance, but spamming every effing page is not the answer. Before someone screams "Adblocker!", that's not the point.

Also, count the hardware reviews in the 30 days following the 680 review and then count how many reviews were in the corresponding mag.

Old 28th May 2012, 22:41   #14
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

This is still a review site?
Old 28th May 2012, 22:44   #15
Spreadie

Old 28th May 2012, 22:53   #16
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
[...] my indifference to the world of mobile technology remains (sorry Gareth ) [...]

Seriously, though, no apology necessary: if you ain't interested in the subject, it doesn't matter how good the column is you ain't interested - any more than I would be interested to read a column on merchant banking...
Still, at least tell me the Raspberry Pi piece in the latest issue was closer to the mark? Please? Lie if you have to...
Old 28th May 2012, 23:02   #17
Shangri-La
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Still, at least tell me the Raspberry Pi piece in the latest issue was closer to the mark? Please? Lie if you have to...
Totally forgot to mention that, it was great, best thing this month. I want one.

ETA: Definately no need to lie

Last edited by Shangri-La; 29th May 2012 at 07:34.
Old 28th May 2012, 23:15   #18
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post

Seriously, though, no apology necessary: if you ain't interested in the subject, it doesn't matter how good the column is you ain't interested - any more than I would be interested to read a column on merchant banking...
No need to lie, I was genuinely interested and appreciate the difficulty of compiling and getting all that software to work on a mature *nix distribution, nevermind a bleeding edge platform. I'd be interested to see what else is possible -- I've had an emulation project specifically in mind for the pi.

I can't say that mobile technology is really my cup of tea either but I appreciate that the industry is increasingly moving this way in terms of convergence and to ignore that would be short sighted -- it is valuable to keep appraised of such tech.

I appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion but a lot of you sound rather harsh to me -- the only suggestion I would have with regards to the mag would be to increase the amount of hardware reviews, but I think it was stated at some point that these would be reduced in number as they can be found on a myriad of sites on the web.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
Old 29th May 2012, 07:59   #19
nuc13ar
Multimodder

nuc13ar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nyoope.

Quote:
I read every page, including Tracy king (mostly because she's smokin' hot) and Robert Florence even though he irritates me.
I respectfully disagree. And I am not one of those Americans who think all UK women are ugly (I used to be when I only bought Mixmag though), I mean, I think Keeley Hazell looks quite nice. And I liked watching Avengers reruns for Diana Rigg... Mr. Florence's articles have been getting better I suppose... although I am still not clear on his actual benefit for Custom PC. The game developer articles are far more fun for me. I think he (Mr. Florence) was a big wuss for jumping offline like that though. I met people from different countries in EFLC matches and friended them on GFWL all the time (about 50 in all I think)...
Old 29th May 2012, 20:09   #20
Darkwisdom
Level 99 Retro Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuc13ar View Post
I respectfully disagree. And I am not one of those Americans who think all UK women are ugly (I used to be when I only bought Mixmag though), I mean, I think Keeley Hazell looks quite nice. And I liked watching Avengers reruns for Diana Rigg... Mr. Florence's articles have been getting better I suppose... although I am still not clear on his actual benefit for Custom PC. The game developer articles are far more fun for me. I think he (Mr. Florence) was a big wuss for jumping offline like that though. I met people from different countries in EFLC matches and friended them on GFWL all the time (about 50 in all I think)...
Ah, everyone likes different women, I suppose. I tend to like the curvy, breasty variety. I don't Robert's columns have gotten better. I think maybe he's betting better writing in that particular format, but the subject matter and jokes are not impressive or funny.