bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Custom PC and bit-tech Folding Team

Old 4th May 2011, 20:22   #61
meandmymouth
Mod Master

meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.
Will a 1090T running at 3.9GHz complete bigadv projects?
Old 4th May 2011, 20:58   #62
One_Box
Folder of the month April 2012

One_Box has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No, you need an 8 thread capable cpu for -bigadv.
Old 4th May 2011, 21:26   #63
meandmymouth
Mod Master

meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.meandmymouth is definitely a rep cheat.
Well that sucks, oh well
Old 5th May 2011, 00:05   #64
discovertrance.com
What's a Dremel?

discovertrance.com has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Welcome to the forum and team discovertrance.com, if you do join our folding team you'll be making a fantastic contribution to medical science

As you've already got the servers up and running doing a day job, the best setup depends on what OS you're running. Also how much RAM does each server in the cluster have?
Thank you Lizard. Each of the servers has 16gb of ram.
discovertrance.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 00:06   #65
discovertrance.com
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
Another load of blade servers! CPC&Bit-tech know how to get to them. Great radio station as well.
Thanks Tangster :-)
Old 5th May 2011, 00:30   #66
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovertrance.com View Post
Thank you Lizard. Each of the servers has 16gb of ram.
With that much RAM I recommend running the bigadv version of the Windows or Linux CPU client (depending on what OS your servers are already running). If you have dual or quad CPU servers in your cluster then you should run a single instance of the client with the following parameters added onto the end of the command line:

-bigadv -smp x

where x = the number of physical and logical (Hyper-Threaded) cores in the system.

To get the most points you'll also need to request a passkey from Stanford and enter this into each client when setting it up. This will after 10 submitted WUs give you a substantial points bonus for every WU you submit back to Stanford before its deadline.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 11:27   #67
discovertrance.com
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
With that much RAM I recommend running the bigadv version of the Windows or Linux CPU client (depending on what OS your servers are already running). If you have dual or quad CPU servers in your cluster then you should run a single instance of the client with the following parameters added onto the end of the command line:

-bigadv -smp x

where x = the number of physical and logical (Hyper-Threaded) cores in the system.

To get the most points you'll also need to request a passkey from Stanford and enter this into each client when setting it up. This will after 10 submitted WUs give you a substantial points bonus for every WU you submit back to Stanford before its deadline.

Thanks for taking the time to share this information Lizard.. Will change the run command to match the one you suggest now.

Will post results later :-)
Old 5th May 2011, 12:18   #68
holzj17
Multimodder

holzj17 can run Crysisholzj17 can run Crysisholzj17 can run Crysisholzj17 can run Crysisholzj17 can run Crysisholzj17 can run Crysisholzj17 can run Crysisholzj17 can run Crysisholzj17 can run Crysis
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to share this information Lizard.. Will change the run command to match the one you suggest now.

Will post results later :-)
you could also join our chimps challenge team for a bit you would be a huge help. drop coolamasta a pm and he can give you the passkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
A new girl is like a new motor. They need to be lubed up, slowly cranked over just a tad, more lube, more cranking and lube, and then you can fire her up, listen to her purr for a bit... and once she's warmed up you can start to make her roar
holzj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 22:03   #69
discovertrance.com
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holzj17 View Post
you could also join our chimps challenge team for a bit you would be a huge help. drop coolamasta a pm and he can give you the passkey
Hey mate is there any reason to do that?
Old 5th May 2011, 22:06   #70
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Quote:
Hey mate is there any reason to do that?
Definitely, it's a way of encouraging more people to fold (more) for 10 days once a year as a competition between the top 10 folding teams in the world.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:12   #71
discovertrance.com
What's a Dremel?

ok.. im in :-) can someone issue me with a key?
Old 9th May 2011, 01:07   #72
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Quote:
ok.. im in :-) can someone issue me with a key?
On it's way in a PM now Thanks for joining in
Old 10th Oct 2011, 16:03   #73
debs3759
Was that a warranty I just broke?

debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.debs3759 is definitely a rep cheat.
I thought this thread might be helpful for one of the new systems I'm building, but it seems outdated even for the old QX9770 I should be receiving in tomorrows mail.

If it gets updated, I might be worth adding how much better/worse the latest beta is for gpus (I understand that the use of openCL has levelled the playing field for modern AMD/ATI gpus).
debs3759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2012, 17:14   #74
ch1nb34rd
What's a Dremel?

ch1nb34rd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How many ppd should my 1090T be getting? What parameters should I be using in the SMP client to get the most out of my CPU?
ch1nb34rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 14:22   #75
Scorpuk
Supermodder

Scorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run Crysis
For the gpu console can you run with -bigadv too?
Scorpuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2012, 15:21   #76
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpuk View Post
For the gpu console can you run with -bigadv too?
Nope. BIGADV are a CPU work unit.
Old 18th Jan 2012, 15:43   #77
Scorpuk
Supermodder

Scorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run Crysis
Cheers.

Is there supposed to be a significant advantage to console over systray?

Switched GPU to console and these are the difference:

systray: PPD ~16.5K, TPF 1m
console: PPD ~17K, TPF 4m

Edit:
GPU is also running 10deg C higher.

Last edited by Scorpuk; 18th Jan 2012 at 18:53.
Old 18th Jan 2012, 17:34   #78
gero1369
Ummm...Wha?

gero1369 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No big difference between console and systray clients. I personally prefer console, but to each his own.
gero1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2012, 09:53   #79
Scorpuk
Supermodder

Ahh tnx for that.

I think the GPU was running hotter as it was a warmer day than usual. lol

Back to 77Deg C now.

I'll leave em as console. :-)
Old 21st Apr 2012, 01:21   #80
the_kille4
Chaos will rule da world.eventually

the_kille4 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

-bigadv -smp x

thanks for the tip!... currently doing my first WU on the i7 3930K. might build another rig based on an i7 920.
Speakers: Ceed 682F (Front) | Q Acoustics 2010i (Side) | Q Acoustics 1010i (Rear) | Q Acoustics 1000Ci (Center) | Q Acoustics 1000Si (Sub)
the_kille4 is offline   Reply With Quote