bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Custom PC and bit-tech Folding Team

Old 6th Aug 2010, 11:51   #81
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Never mind, I found it eventually.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2010, 08:56   #82
Wicked_Sludge
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Wicked_Sludge is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Amazing...i had never heard of this project until stumbling upon it here at bit-tech. I probably wont be a huge contributor (i cant afford to leave my rig running 24/7), but im folding as we speak!
Wicked_Sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2010, 01:59   #83
unknowngamer
here

unknowngamer can run Crysisunknowngamer can run Crysisunknowngamer can run Crysisunknowngamer can run Crysisunknowngamer can run Crysisunknowngamer can run Crysisunknowngamer can run Crysisunknowngamer can run Crysisunknowngamer can run Crysis
I'm folding on my gtx280's
under the name Mega_bite.

hi btw....

:-)
Old 21st Nov 2010, 22:44   #84
dancingbear84
error 404

dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.
I just joined in too. Until I can get some juicier parts I think I too will not be contributing much to modern day science, or improving the bit-tech standings, but every little helps.
Old 28th Nov 2010, 13:01   #85
BennieboyUK
CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.
Hi, I am new to these forums and the team. I am a keen reader for CPC and I am hoping my folding will make a difference for both the team and the cause.

Only folding CPU's at this time, may consider GPU's sometime soon
BennieboyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2010, 15:04   #86
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieboyUK View Post
Hi, I am new to these forums and the team. I am a keen reader for CPC and I am hoping my folding will make a difference for both the team and the cause.

Only folding CPU's at this time, may consider GPU's sometime soon
I wondered who you were. You're racing along with CPU's only. I think you're set to overtake me in 2.5 days! Nice going
Looking at your setup,could you not run bigadv clients on all your quads?
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2010, 15:15   #87
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Welcome to the forum and team BennieboyUK
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2010, 21:47   #88
BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
I wondered who you were. You're racing along with CPU's only. I think you're set to overtake me in 2.5 days! Nice going
Looking at your setup,could you not run bigadv clients on all your quads?
Thanks Guys, I need to do some serious research on the best way to get the most points out of the Xeons. At the moment they are simply Windows SMP clients, running -smp 8 -verbosity 9 -bigadv.

Having just read the sticky about "how to get the most out of your HW" I will investigate using the Linux client for VMware - out of interest has anyone converted this client to VHD and tried running in Hyper-V? If not I will try this and report back on the performance.

But as I had finally got around to doing FAH (Ive been bluffing myself for a year now that I will do it one day) I just wanted to get some points on the board.

On a side note, how did you know I was folding for the team? I dont see my username appearing anywhere? Is there a site that shows team members progress?

Any tips, tricks and links to information would be well recieved. I will stop there as I am already off topic - but thanks for the welcome

Thanks!
Old 28th Nov 2010, 21:51   #89
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
You got a lot of cpu power there, what's your current PPD?
Old 28th Nov 2010, 21:58   #90
Norfolk'N'Good
Folding Chimp

Norfolk'N'Good has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieboyUK View Post
On a side note, how did you know I was folding for the team? I dont see my username appearing anywhere? Is there a site that shows team members progress?
Try here:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=

P5Q Pro - E8400@3.6ghz - 4gbOCZ Gold - 2x XFX Alfadog 8800GT - Antec 300 - OCZ SteathXStream 600w
Folding for my family.
Norfolk'N'Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2010, 22:01   #91
BennieboyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
You got a lot of cpu power there, what's your current PPD?
Well hard to tell at the moment, I keep changing settings and starting and stopping the client(s), I did a 24h test last week, and I was only getting 49k ppd - I really dont have a base line of "whats is a good PPD" but naturally it depends on the HW being used.

So as you can tell - education curve is going to be steep for the next month or so! And no doubt ill end up
i7 980x @ 4.4Ghz|12GB Dominator GT 2133mhz|Rampage III|4gb GTX 680 Classified's SLI|830 256GB|Antec 1200w|PF1000|R3|U2711 Hyper-V 2012: Dell 1900 | Dual Xeon E5320 | 32GB DDR2 ECC | LSI @ Raid5 5.452tb WHS: 8gb HP N40L 10tb x8 WD 2tb RED's Raid 6+1 on SRCSASBB8I with BBU
Old 28th Nov 2010, 22:03   #92
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
49k??
Thats a pretty nice amount considering you've only just started
Old 28th Nov 2010, 22:18   #93
BennieboyUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
49k??
Thats a pretty nice amount considering you've only just started
Thanks, that linked website is awesome, I love stats, I am a numbers geek!

24h period as follows:

11.27.10 45,448

Once I have looked at this VMware client I will have a better idea of how I want to move forward.

Just need to find the time... watch this space.
i7 980x @ 4.4Ghz|12GB Dominator GT 2133mhz|Rampage III|4gb GTX 680 Classified's SLI|830 256GB|Antec 1200w|PF1000|R3|U2711 Hyper-V 2012: Dell 1900 | Dual Xeon E5320 | 32GB DDR2 ECC | LSI @ Raid5 5.452tb WHS: 8gb HP N40L 10tb x8 WD 2tb RED's Raid 6+1 on SRCSASBB8I with BBU
Old 14th Mar 2011, 00:55   #94
luciferon
What's a Dremel?

luciferon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the guide!

Officially now folding, my new rig will be finished in 2 weeks so will have a pc and laptop working away.

Can't believe I never heard of this project before I started purchasing Custom PC zine.
luciferon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2011, 01:20   #95
nxtgenlva
What's a Dremel?

nxtgenlva has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
joining in progress
nxtgenlva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2011, 08:39   #96
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Welcome to the team nxtgenlva
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2011, 16:19   #97
nxtgenlva
What's a Dremel?

nxtgenlva has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks very much. Just out of interest, how does the ps3 do in folding? Is it worth getting a few broken ones with broken drives just for F@H??
nxtgenlva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 22:24   #98
SteevO_Tabasco
What's a Dremel?

SteevO_Tabasco has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Climbing onboard the folding wagon

Hi All,
Long time reader - decided to join up & do my bit for humanity ...
SteevO_Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2011, 22:39   #99
Christopher N. Lew
Folding in memory of my father

Christopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for president
Welcome to the fold.
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 01:33   #100
davebodger
My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

davebodger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtgenlva View Post
Thanks very much. Just out of interest, how does the ps3 do in folding? Is it worth getting a few broken ones with broken drives just for F@H??
In my opinion - no.
A PS3 gives 1000 PPD (Points Per Day) and uses around 190 Watts and costs ...... what ever you pay for it (£100?).
An Intel Sandybridge chip in a reasonable system will cost more initially (5 times?) but will use hardly any more electric and (the 2600K) can ruturn more than 40 times as much PPD.

As we have been told PPD relates directly to the quality of the science and electricity use equates to global warming (and overheated wallets) then I think it makes more sense to use the most efficient point-producing equipment we can.

If you have the money for the initial outlay (£1000s) then the Intel hex-core chips produce the most efficient bang-per-buck at present at the expense of a little more electricity useage (~400W per system). The more the merrier too - dual chip motherboards help but the ultimate is a Blade Chassis stuffed full of dual or quad processor cards.
14 or 16 cards per chassis (dependant on manufacturer) uses about 3000 Watts (only about 215 Watts per system).
Sorry - just dreaming - maybe one day if I win the lottery.

Folding stats
davebodger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
howto