bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Apr 2009, 17:02   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
OCZ launches PCI-E SSD RAID cards

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ches-z-cards/1

OCZ announces that its PCI-E Z-Card SSDs have gone into production, with capacities of up to 1TB, although the 1TB model costs 2,640.34.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2009, 17:09   #2
pistol_pete
Air Cooled Fool

pistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oooo, PCI-E interface. Cool.
- Q6600 G0(9x333) -- Asus P5k Premium -- 4GB Ballistix DDR2-800 -- EVGA GTX570 -- OCZ Vertex 2E 128GB -- 500GB Samsung F2 -- Antec Truepower New 650W -- Samsung Syncmaster 206BW -- Razer Lycosa, DeathAdder, and Destructor -- Custom Buitl Watercooled Case --

Pistol Pete's Project Perspiration Project Log
pistol_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2009, 17:30   #3
Arkanrais
Supermodder

Arkanrais has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If they made these in low profile PCI sizes, they would be perfect for small HTPC cases and people with a few hundred to blow.
Besides that, it's great to see SSD's catching up to mechanical HDD's in capacity. Now we just have to wait until they start matching the price or at least get within a reasonable grasp for us suckers without thousands to spend on new gadgets.
Arkanrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2009, 17:42   #4
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
can you boot from them? These look to be the future and I forsee a faster price drop then SSD's
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2009, 17:42   #5
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The days of hard drives disturbing the peace are now truly numbered. Spend rich people, spend!
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2009, 20:00   #6
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I am sure those prices are a bad taste joke...
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2009, 21:55   #7
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemerich View Post
I am sure those prices are a bad taste joke...
4x250GB SSD from the same manufacturer cost pretty much the same as the 1TB model, so it's in line with other ssds.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2009, 22:15   #8
Gryphon
Hypermodder

Gryphon has yet to learn the way of the DremelGryphon has yet to learn the way of the DremelGryphon has yet to learn the way of the DremelGryphon has yet to learn the way of the DremelGryphon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
you cant boot from it iirc and that price has to be a joke. i know its on par with SATA SSDs, but still... they're /Gb is vomit-inducing

still want it though

Last edited by Gryphon; 24th Apr 2009 at 22:16. Reason: gona take me a while to get used to these new smileys =/
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2009, 22:49   #9
j_jay4
Supermodder

j_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for president
U could get a pretty decent PC for those prices, I don't think silence and a few seconds off your load times are worth that much, it's a bit crazy
Old 25th Apr 2009, 02:05   #10
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
its just a pci-e raid controller and 4 SSDs pre-packaged in a shiny box for you :P
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2009, 02:56   #11
aron311
Modder

aron311 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why do you have to draw the specs out and make them all muddled in several paragraphs? Table please
aron311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2009, 04:15   #12
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon
you cant boot from it iirc and that price has to be a joke. i know its on par with SATA SSDs, but still... they're £/Gb is vomit-inducing

still want it though
its an raid card and so can be used as an boot device

the price of it is far out there, its still impressive performance thought

the vertex drive is still best drive to get for cost v space/performance, need to weed out the poor drives (what other company's sell the ssd with Indilinx in them)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington

Last edited by leexgx; 25th Apr 2009 at 04:23.
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2009, 15:40   #13
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
how would someone use RAID with these things?
dec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2009, 16:27   #14
Jenny_Y8S

Wow! That's 3,125 times cheaper than my first ever hard drive (byte for byte)

But then 40meg hard drives were a lot of money back then
Old 26th Apr 2009, 00:00   #15
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The cheapest storage is still single layer DVDR's. Buy in bulk, about 3p per GB!
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2009, 18:15   #16
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
it come up as an hard disk like any RAID card norm does, with XP id expect some driver to come with it (F5 install) vista very likey just detect it (but could likey need use of an driver unless its useing RAID card that is supported by vista)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2009, 19:18   #17
Timmy_the_tortoise
International Man of Awesome

Timmy_the_tortoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If only I was already a self made millionaire... Or a spoiled child. Either would do, as long as I got one of these.
Q6600 @ 2.40GHz w/G0|Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R|2GB Crucial 667MHz DDR2|Powercolor Radeon HD4850|Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB|Scythe Ninja Mini|LG Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-RW Combo Drive|Corsair TX650W|Antec NSK2480
Pioneer VSX-417|2x Gale 3010|2x Yamaha NSP110| MS304W Centre | MS308 Subwoofer
Timmy_the_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 16:21   #18
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
Cor! Want one of these!
I suspect they're intended for database servers and the like, but I'm sure the BT team can come up with some justification for needing one, perhaps they could be used to remove i/o bottlenecks while benchmarking?
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 21:25   #19
Slizza
beautiful to demons

Slizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming SaiyanSlizza is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Were can i shoplift one of those puppys?