1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows XP embedded into Windows 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

But if they're making it available for FREE, why not extend it to all versions? They have no reason not to. That's a dick move.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Does it come with some sort of Direct3D/OpenGL support for the virtual OS?

To be honest, though - I've not tested a single game on my Vista rig that will run on XP but not on Vista. I have, however, got several Win 98 games that won't run on either of them. Even with compatibility mode.

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It's only really necessary for businesses with old custom software anyway so doesn't really matter to the average shlub on the street.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Because it's only free if you've given them lots of money :p

Think of it as an optional feature of the higher end windows products.

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

This is a good way to get the companies that have Win 2000/XP upgrade do Win7... They will have a more secure OS, and no compatibility issues, like they would have if the switched to Vista.

Good ideia M$

7. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

This is exactly what I am interested in knowing about, at present virtual pc only provides a emulated
    Allthough i only get 8mb S3 gfx with the virtual pc additions suit.

Which works fine for the likes of Red Alert 2, but anything more than that is a no go.
    I understand this version of the virtual pc has been tweaked so it is able to interact with win7, however as this compatability mode is more aimed at businesses so my gut feeling is that there wont be many if any changes to the virtual gfx system.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2009
  8. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

Does this only work for software or could one use it to install xp-only hardware?

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Yup, this is going to make my life at work (if that's not a contradiction in terms) a whole lot easier, it's not just old custom apps that don't run on Vista, it's relatively up to date ones, eg for us we're still using version 7 of Saleslogix, which won't run on Vista (so tomorrow I'm wiping 3 laptops and downgrading them to XP just for this). Vista has only been supported since v7.2 which came out last year and we won't be upgrading to that for at least 6 months, and don't get me started on the Cisco crap we have to deal with...

So a relatively easy way of running a modern OS and retaining backwards compatibility? It could only be better with a user self destruct button built in ;)

(Does anyone still run XP because it's 'better for gaming'?)

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeah, I'm worried about that, too. I don't want much - emulate a 32MB Voodoo5 for all I care (actually, that would be ideal as I've got some games that don't like the AA methods used by ATi/nVidia - there is texture corruption no matter what settings I use - but work fine and look great on a Voodoo5 with 4xFSAA on...) and I don't think I'd believe anyone telling me that modern CPUs/GPUs couldn't emulate a card that old without so much as breaking a sweat. But really, just some basic OpenGL/D3D support would be enough.

I think I saw one of the professional VM programs is going to support OpenGL in their latest release, but can't remember where I read that so it might just be me wishful thinking. And aside from that, I'm not paying a lot for a big VM client when I've got enough old kit lying around to build a Win 98 box. (I just need somewhere to put it... :hehe:)

Hm... I wonder if Win 98 would install on an Atom board? Stick my Voodoo5 in the PCI slot on a ribbon cable and get a little PSU for it... build a custom case... I hardly ever installed more than audio+video drivers in the early days on 98. I held the idea of 'hey, if it works without lots of other stuff bloating it down, why not?' :)

11. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

some people can't wait to get the next os as soon as it comes out then they pi$$ amd moan about it,
    myself I like my xp pro just fine and its great for gaming. I also have older software that can't be up
    dated for vista and won't work on it and I'm not ready to give up this software. now if this xp mode
    turns out to be a good thing I may think about changing to w7. It also depends on the cost of w7 pro

12. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

am i right in thinking Vista Ulitmate users get 7 for free?

13. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

cause they are also forcing most to just upgrade to 7 straight away, will also push other software developers to produce software that is Vista / 7 ready, another possible reason might have to do with the EU, im pretty much sure the EU will have another anti-trust case in the making with MS when they see this ,lol

14. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

according to the recent news i read, its a complete and utter rubbish that ANY vista users are getting free upgrades to win 7.

15. Delphium

Quite agreed!

I beleive you may have read that here at bit-tech and the openGL/D3D support was only to be supported in a new version of virtual PC and when used in conjunction with an Nvidia Quadro FX card.

16. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Delphium likes this.
  17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

1- Because system that runs Windows 7 Home or Starter edition, not only won't have (in general) the computer performance to run 2 OS smoothly.
    2- It's aimed at businesses
    3- You pay less... so now XP license and no special Virtual PC that allows you to do this. However you can still download Virtual PC 2007 and run yoru copy of XP, nothing is stopping you. You just won't be ablt to access USB device and not have a floating window.

It should be like any OS under Virtual PC... so software only

pendragon likes this.
  18. Delphium

/+1 rep

Ahhhhhh yes of cause, there is that too, well remembered that man!! :D

19. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

Yea VirtualBox has OpenGL support and I think can emulates up to 128MB video ram. I've been testing W7 on VirtualBox and other than the lack of D3D, I think it's better than VPC. It's lets you do multiple save states just like a SNES emulator and saves states way faster than VPC. I can't wait till they support D3D and then I can toss out VPC for good.

20. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Yeah VirtualBox is pretty good, though I haven't experimented with the OpenGL feature.

I really like the "seamless" mode (activated by the right control key and "L"). I'm running Vista64 with XP32 as a "guest" and it puts the taskbar for XP just above the vista one. Also, when you run an app in XP, i launches in a window that you can move around the Vista desktop, just as if it were running natively in Vista (other than the giveaway XP toolbars ;)). It's a really neat feature that lets you almost forget that you're running one OS virtualised.

Alternatively, fullscreen mode (right control, "F") gives you a standard XP desktop to play with. Can be a bit freaky when you shut the XP "machine" down, only to be reverted to a Vista desktop though :).

Coupled with the ability to mount shared folders in the guest that can be accessed by the native machine, it works beautifully.

With direct3D support, it would be amazing.

Tags: Add Tags