bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Apr 2009, 09:38   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Swiftech H2O-220 Apex Ultima

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...-apex-ultima/1

While you could air-cool your Core i7, if you want to achieve a big, stable overclock without damaging your hearing then you might want to consider a water-cooling kit such as the H2O-220 Apex Ultima. We take a look to see how Swiftech's latest water-cooling kit copes with Intel's fastest CPUs.

Old 30th Apr 2009, 09:57   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Very nice review...
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 10:44   #3
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Very nice kit - I can't see why anyone wouldn't like that kit, as you say, all switech did was jam together some standard and much-loved components.
Old 30th Apr 2009, 11:22   #4
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like a very nice kit, basically what most people would buy themselves except perhaps the fans and the coolant. 11c idle temps? What was the ambient room temp?
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 11:23   #5
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
Looks like a very nice kit, basically what most people would buy themselves except perhaps the fans and the coolant. 11c idle temps? What was the ambient room temp?
It's a delta T temperature. 11'C above ambient.
Old 30th Apr 2009, 12:35   #6
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
seems like a great way to get started on watercooling, i myself if i decided to watercool id find it hard to decide what kit to use for the first time and this seems a good way to start without having to worry about the bits and pieces not being capable
Old 30th Apr 2009, 13:11   #7
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
It's a delta T temperature. 11'C above ambient.
I was gonna say lol. I knew it was cold over there for you guys but not that cold haha.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 13:34   #8
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why no maximum overclocking section, it would have good to see how far the i7 could be pushed, especially as that's the real reason people spend nearly 200 on the kit. The Titan Fenrir produced some impressive results for an air cooler, is that Bit-Tech's new favourite real world cooler?
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 16:47   #9
Jojii
hardware freak

Jojii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yeah, where's the epeen section?
Jojii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 17:12   #10
trig
god's little mistake

trig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltrig has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
is it cheaper than buying the components individually? do they have a similar kit for lga775?
i5-760 @ a modest 4.01 w/cm v6 gt..msi p55-gd80..8 gigs 1333 mhz ripjaws..sli'd msi twin frozr III gtx 570 @ 910 core 1100 memory..rv-02 case..corsair ax750..wd black 750 gb 32mb cache..1.5 tb 32mb cache..90 gb agility III ssd boot drive...60 gb callisto deluxe..logitech gx9 mouse..samsung 2253lw..
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 18:01   #11
coolmiester
Coolermaster Legend

coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!coolmiester - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trig View Post
is it cheaper than buying the components individually? do they have a similar kit for lga775?
CPU waterblock: Swiftech Apogee GTZ

Quote:
As standard the Apogee GTZ is pre-fitted with a LGA1366 mounting kit for Core i7 motherboards, but there is also a LGA775 mount included in the box. Socket AM2+/AM3, LGA771 and Socket F mounts are available separately for free if you contact Swiftech via its website.
coolmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 18:36   #12
BrightCandle
Multimodder

BrightCandle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its worth mentioning that although the review says that adding a graphics card to this loop would be fine because "the radiator isn't even hot" it really is not that simple and likely a bad idea.

The problem is that a water cooling system is based on the temperature of the water, which has a particular difference to the air that is ultimately cooling it. Therefore the radiator fins are at the temperature of the water, somewhere around 10C above air ambient or 35C.

An i7 CPU is 125W TDP, all of which is going into the water and being cooled just fine at load. If we add a 4870 that is another 160W of heat and that is more than double, which is also going to double the water temperature. Now all of a sudden you have gained 10C of CPU temperature at idle and at load because you added the graphics card.

More likely is that someone would want to add a 4870X2 to such a machine and then your talking more like 300W of power added. The CPU begins to look pathetic in comparison, even when its overclocked and your CPU would then be something like 50C at idle and above 90C at load.

Water cooling isn't as simple as just adding what you like to the loop, its about balancing flow rate, heat in and heat out to get a decent overall performance. The moral of the story is that each 120mm of radiator space should go with about 120W of component power output. Therefore this CPU system is fantastic for overclocking a CPU, or running a moderate graphics card and CPU at default clocks, beyond that temperatures will start to go up and you need more radiators which in turn may mean you need a better pump or two different loops.
BrightCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 20:42   #13
Mr T
4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Mr T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Where's the pics of it built up?

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 4Gb Corsair 6400C4 - Abit IP35 - 256mb nVidia 7900GS
Corsair HX 520w PSU - Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW - 74Gb Western Digital Raptor - 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 00:08   #14
Wolfe
Hypermodder

Wolfe has yet to learn the way of the DremelWolfe has yet to learn the way of the DremelWolfe has yet to learn the way of the DremelWolfe has yet to learn the way of the DremelWolfe has yet to learn the way of the DremelWolfe has yet to learn the way of the DremelWolfe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit-Tech
The only downside is its large size - it's much harder to find a place inside a small case than the equally popular, but much more compact, Laing DDC. The '-B' at the end of its name denotes that this is fixed-speed version of the D5, so its output pressure output is fixed at 350 PSI and its input voltage at 12V.
What?

I think you dropped a decimal.
Old 1st May 2009, 03:25   #15
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
I had a closer look at the Plus-kit with all the bells and whistles earlier in the spring, and really liked it. Good to see the rad is enough to keep a i7-chip cool as well, as I was a bit worried if it would be enough after updating the parts.

The GTZ looks darn nice as well And was a breeze to install. Too bad about the aluminum top, that just doesn't last...
Old 14th Sep 2010, 05:25   #16
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its nice sure for 195.41, but I think Corsair H70 will beat it You guys should do review on it. Help me decide.
Win7 Pro 64Bit | I7 860 @4.0Ghz XSPC RS240 | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 8GB G.Skill 1600 7 8 7 24| Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 | Asus GTX 570 | Asus Xonar DS 7.1 | Logitech Z-2300 | Corsair CMPSU 850 ATX | Xigmatek Utgard | Dell U2410
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote