bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Apr 2009, 11:07   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Netbook graphics given a boost

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...iven-a-boost/1

Vladimir Plenskiy has launched a new package dubbed GMABooster which offers a 22 percent speed boost to the graphics chips found in most netbooks.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 11:41   #2
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
requires .net 2.0

theres got to be a more eficient way of hacking clock speed then installing .net
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 14:32   #3
Saivert
Supermodder

Saivert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just install it. There are lots of apps that are developed using .NET framework today. It's a more managed secure way to make programs. They tend to be more reliable.
It's only Windows XP that doesn't come bundled with it. Even ATI Catalyst Control Center requires .NET Framework 2.0 to install and run.
Old 30th Apr 2009, 14:41   #4
AndyFielder
Supermodder

AndyFielder has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndyFielder has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndyFielder has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndyFielder has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndyFielder has yet to learn the way of the DremelAndyFielder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
works great for me!!

more wow at work :P
QNAP TS-439Pro II+ NAS - Atom 1.8ghz 2gb RAM
AndyFielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 14:55   #5
AstralWanderer
Banned

AstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saivert View Post
Just install it...
You do know that .NET Framework adds over 1.2MB of data to the Windows Registry, right? (a 12% increase compared to a new Windows install). Since registry size affects startup time (it has to be loaded into memory) and memory usage, keeping "registry bloat" under control is a key factor in maintaining a tidy (and stable) Windows installation.

As for Catalyst Control Centre, that is not only the most inappropriate example of .NET usage I have seen, but also excellent marketing for ATI Tray Tools - or Nvidia Forceware.
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 16:12   #6
DirtyH
Minimodder

DirtyH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh my god, 1.2MB...

we're all going to die
Old 30th Apr 2009, 16:29   #7
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And what of the rest of the .net frame work, if your working with an 8gb disk every little helps.
Old 30th Apr 2009, 16:31   #8
zimbloggy
Genius Extraordinaire

zimbloggy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I used to have the 945G chipset on my desktop (well, I still do, but I got a decent graphics card). There were some people who modded the 965 (a better intel integrated chipset) to get better framerates and compatibility.

If you have a netbook with these chipsets this group would probably help you: http://groups.google.com/group/intel9x-gaming?pli=1, but it's mainly for XP and Vista users.
Old 30th Apr 2009, 17:15   #9
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
yeah the writer of that program is on the msiwind forums.. these guys use setfsb and that gmabooster to oc their netbooks to hell XD some up to 2.1ghz and claim youtube 720p video runs without issues- I dunno seems aweful high without stability issues

this little mini pci device looks cool http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQLH...e+hd&_osacat=0

would replace your wifi card though.. but this in a cheap netbook, just use the wired lan and setfsb for the youtube.. I dunno call me crazy but > nvidia ion?
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 20:23   #10
Clo_UD
What's a Dremel?

Clo_UD has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow, I'm very interested. I just found 3D Mark charts with GMABooster enabled and without it. http://www.hardware.info/images/news...nshots_550.png
Twice faster pixel shader rendering! Twice faster texture processing! To good to be true... Though this is a well-known german site and I doubt they have been kidding or lying
The question is: why has Intel degraded GMA 950 on netbooks? Is it a commercial trick to make netbooks incomparable to even low-end laptops?
Clo_UD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 20:42   #11
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
if no voltage change yet increase clock speed by more than 200%, surely that would introduce instability?
Old 30th Apr 2009, 20:53   #12
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
yeah the writer of that program is on the msiwind forums.. these guys use setfsb and that gmabooster to oc their netbooks to hell XD some up to 2.1ghz and claim youtube 720p video runs without issues- I dunno seems aweful high without stability issues

would replace your wifi card though.. but this in a cheap netbook, just use the wired lan and setfsb for the youtube.. I dunno call me crazy but > nvidia ion?
Did those guys running @ > 2 GHz, post any temp readings?
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 20:55   #13
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clo_UD
Wow, I'm very interested. I just found 3D Mark charts with GMABooster enabled and without it. http://www.hardware.info/images/news...nshots_550.png
Twice faster pixel shader rendering! Twice faster texture processing! To good to be true... Though this is a well-known german site and I doubt they have been kidding or lying
The question is: why has Intel degraded GMA 950 on netbooks? Is it a commercial trick to make netbooks incomparable to even low-end laptops?
Battery life, that is all.

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 20:56   #14
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Astral... are you serious?
You don't install .NET because it slows down your boot times? And, no offence, but I wouldn't call .NET registry bloat as it actually brings you some nice additions and support for a lot of programs/tools you might find useful.
Running Vista with .NET 3.0 [no SP1 installed yet, thanks to crappy mobile broadband being the most unstable thing since W95A] I can't see it being unstable at all, or booting too slow.

Well, each to his/her own I guess...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 21:09   #15
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotab View Post
Did those guys running @ > 2 GHz, post any temp readings?
here http://forums.msiwind.net/internal-h...t8130-200.html
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 21:42   #16
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I cant wait to get my EeePC 1000he, so this would also solve the Hulu issues as well I would assume?

Edit: I installed it onto an EeePC 1000HA at work and bumped it up to 400 and so far all the hulu issues we were having with the lag at full screen and at 480p and what not is gone so this is great, we had two of these EeePC get returned for the sole reason that they couldnt handle Hulu correctly, I came up with some work arounds to get it working but this way with the booster its sooo much easier, so ya this is awesome. For the hell of it we are going to install WoW onto it, we did that before and in areas with no people we got up to 17fps and in heavy areas 1-2 fps so it will be interesting to see what the difference will be now probably not to much but ehh still should be fun.
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •

Last edited by HourBeforeDawn; 30th Apr 2009 at 22:28.
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 22:50   #17
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz

this little mini pci device looks cool http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQLH...e+hd&_osacat=0

huh you think that would work? could be something to consider if you dont need wifi like in a long car ride and wont have access to anything.
• DimasTech Test Bench • Black ICE Triple 120 Rad • Dual Bay Res/Pump • DD Fill Port & Res • D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block • ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo • AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz • 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory • (2) AMD 6870 XFire • (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 • (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE • Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive • ASUS XONAR DX2 • 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD • (2) 23" ASUS LCD • ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER • (4) NOCTUA P12 • (2) NOCTUA P14 • 1000W ZALMAN PSU • WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 •
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 23:01   #18
AstralWanderer
Banned

AstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the DremelAstralWanderer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45 View Post
You don't install .NET because it slows down your boot times?
Boot times are not the overriding concern for me but maintaining a bloat-free system (as much as possible) is. While most other software adds to the Registry, such additions tend to be less than 30KB so if you consider 1.2MB the equivalent of installing more than 50-60 programs, then you have a reasonable idea of its impact.
Quote:
And, no offence, but I wouldn't call .NET registry bloat as it actually brings you some nice additions and support for a lot of programs/tools you might find useful.
Fine, if there is something that you really value that requires .NET then install it. However it is an issue that deserves careful and critical consideration, not a "no-brainer" as one poster above seemed to suggest. And companies that require it for necessary system utilities (looking at you ATI) or install it without user consent (yes, Obsidian, that means you with NWN2) deserve criticism.

Since the trademark of .NET software tends to be extremely slow load times (e.g. Stardock's Impulse initially took more than 10 seconds to start up on a well-specced system) I would always look for an non-.NET alternative that, to be frank, shows more consideration for user time.
Quote:
Running Vista with .NET 3.0 [no SP1 installed yet, thanks to crappy mobile broadband being the most unstable thing since W95A] I can't see it being unstable at all, or booting too slow.
.NET's inclusion by default in Vista is likely to be one of several reasons for Vista's poorer performance and higher resource use compared to Win2K/XP.
AstralWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2009, 23:25   #19
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Vista performs poor? Haven't noticed this for quite some time. Yes, it wasn't the fastest OS on the planet and it might be slower than XP/7 sometimes but overall it's quite fast [now].
And higher resource use? You mean the SuperFetch and that stuff that "uses" your RAM? I thought we finally settled that discussion a long time ago.

But I agree with you that it shouldn't be used for system utilities, especially given the download size of new versions and SPs and yes, it should be handled as a crime to install ANYTHING without user consent[listen carefully, Sony!].
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 01:01   #20
cyrilthefish
Ultramodder

cyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysis
that was odd, tried it on my ultraportable and it actually made it slower when allegedly overclocked

3dmark03:
default: 687
400mhz: 595

might be a compatibility issue with windows7 tho
cyrilthefish is offline   Reply With Quote