bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th May 2009, 12:42   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
EA posts $1 billion loss

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...billion-loss/1

Electronic Arts has posted a net loss of more than USD 1.1 billion after a slow financial year.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 12:44   #2
Brooxy
Like a boss (but not a boss)

Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm sure if they put more effort into the games they make, they would be getting more profits, and less loss *sigh*
Brooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 12:47   #3
Whalemeister
is so hot right now!

Whalemeister has yet to learn the way of the DremelWhalemeister has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Makes the rumors of the Apple buyout all the more interesting...
Old 6th May 2009, 13:13   #4
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
does this net loss also incorporate the companies they have bought this year?

but i agree a bit more time and care over games goes a long way
Old 6th May 2009, 13:38   #5
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It doesnt matter what company you are, that is a LOT of debt to have hanging over you... hopefully the cost cutting measures this year will make it look more respectable next year... but not at the expense of the quality of games. it seems whever EA gets something right it gets kicked in the teeth (Dead Space, Mirrors Edge etc)
Old 6th May 2009, 14:23   #6
EvilRusk
Multimodder

EvilRusk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Must be all those pirates robbing the EA treasure ships off Somalia...
EvilRusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 14:23   #7
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't feel sorry for EA considering they strong armed and raped (wallets, buyouts etc) their way to the top. They (past 2 CEOs) took a dump on the consumer claiming they're making/publishing master pieces. When in reality they're still making/publishing piece of crap games with a shinny box.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:48   #8
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ea have done this to themselves, they've ruined there reputation with gamers wolrdwide, first it was just releasing plan old crap, but these day it's more to do with releasing what should be a good game, but is buggy/broken in some way and them just abandoning it instead of fixing it.
It's got to the point now that I won't buy a EA game until I know its working as it should, I always wonder why reviews gloss over game breaking bugs in games, like mirrors edge.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 14:50   #9
pizan
that's n00b-tastic

pizan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRusk
Must be all those pirates robbing the EA treasure ships off Somalia...
+1
Old 6th May 2009, 14:56   #10
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Recession, what recession? I just bought a ROFLCOPTER!
Will EA increase quality, hoping that will entice gamers, or will they dumb down further with cheap tat franchise games? I predict the latter. The Sims 3 anyone?
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 15:04   #11
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
So hang on - they had sales of $4.2 billion but it cost them $5.3 billion to produce?? Talk about accountancy fail
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 15:24   #12
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pope View Post
So hang on - they had sales of $4.2 billion but it cost them $5.3 billion to produce?? Talk about accountancy fail
I always say, turnover is worthless, if you get turned over.
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 15:34   #13
Sh00ter
Multimodder

Sh00ter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
too many people have been screwed over, too frequently, i know loads of people that just will not buy an EA game - far too many promises, that never come off.

poor ole EA.....
Sh00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 15:43   #14
Mach1.9pants
Fastest gruts in NZ!

Mach1.9pants has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd buy more of their games if they made them work properly in wide screen; most of their games require hacks to work properly.
Current Toy: XP Pro: DD Torture Rack: SS1000W: 790i: q9650 +H20-220 @4.275: SLI GTX280 +modded H20-120 @700/2.5: 4GB @1600: 2TB: XFi+Medusa: G9: G15: G25: TM TStickX: TrIR4: TH2Go-3x24" Dell @5040x1050
F@H: Team24: OCAu: 1 MILLLIYON+ points
Mach1.9pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 18:42   #15
D-Cyph3r
Gay for Yunosuke

D-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm in the heartless "serves them right" camp. Though my reason for hating EA is not because they continually churn out buggy/crap games, but because those games are being developed by studios who, when they were independent, were full of talent.
D-Cyph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 19:31   #16
UrbanMarine
Government Prostitute

UrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the DremelUrbanMarine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Westwood used to be one of my favorite companies, then EA stepped in and half the dev team quit.
Old 6th May 2009, 21:01   #17
Otto69
Supermodder

Otto69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Please don't use the term "fire" when referring to layoffs. Traditionally being "fired" means you screwed up. Being "layed off" means the company screwed up.
Otto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 21:36   #18
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh I know how about they put secure rom on there future games too and I will proceed to not buy or play those as well.

Also westwood was awesome, I died a little inside when they got take over.
Old 7th May 2009, 02:53   #19
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Westwood was awesome. In some ways I almost hope the juggernaut that is currently EA fails. They is gettin too big for their britches.

Big conglomerate developers such as EA can lead to crappier games, in my opinion. Small companies will spend the extra time to put a quality product out the door because they know a good game can mean their ultimate survival or utter failure.

EA can afford to churn out crappy games for a time, but perhaps they've been doing this too much. They are reporting a loss that would make any company cringe. A company's purpose is to make money. If it continues to lose money at an increasing rate, there is something wrong.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Thermaltake Smart M 850W - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 09:00   #20
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No real surprise.

Pretty much every game they release has turned into a annual improvement free orgy of sequels.

Then there is another issue, games are too often released full of bugs, also they don't release enough patches to fix whats broken and often those patches are late.

On top of that, they have a digital distribution system which does not work in most cases.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote