bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th May 2009, 11:35   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Breach at Berkeley hits 160,000

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-hits-160000/1

A security breach on a healthcare system at the University of California at Berkeley which went unnoticed for months has leaked the data on 160,000 individuals.

Old 11th May 2009, 13:20   #2
Dreaming
Supermodder

Dreaming has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If any student fell foul of any schemes because of this it would seem (I am no lawyer though) that absolutely Berkeley is liable as it was their responsibility to keep the data safe and any loss incurred would be a direct result of their failure to fulfill this responsibility. If you put your money in the bank and the bank got robbed you would fully expect the bank to compensate you because they failed in their responsibility to protect your money.

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 9800GT OC 1GB | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B (with top blowhole mod) | | LG 32LH4000 + Samsung 226BW 22"
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 13:48   #3
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wonder if it was a 'real' hack or SQL injection type script kiddies Oo
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 14:32   #4
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
ouch
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 14:35   #5
fodder
Multimodder

fodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
*OFF TOPIC*

[QUOTE=...If you put your money in the bank and the bank got robbed you would fully expect the bank to compensate you because they failed in their responsibility to protect your money.[/QUOTE]

But apparently ok if they lose it in idiotic dodgy dealing. :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 17:51   #6
Faulk_Wulf
Internet Addict

Faulk_Wulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
While personal information – including social security numbers, addresses, and immunisation records – was included in the data accessed, associate vice chancellor for health and human services Steve Lustig is quick to point out that no actual medical records were held on the system.
Oh yes because the SSN and Addresses are trivial information.

Of WHAT use would one person's medical records be to another?
"Oh I see here, two years ago, you has pneumonia."
Am I missing something here or is this guy an idiot?
Faulk_Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 18:47   #7
fodder
Multimodder

fodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Faulk. there are some medical things people wouldn't like public. This introduces blackmail or coersion (sp?) possibilities. I don't think a bout of clamidia is a nice thing to have publicly advertised, nor is a previous history of treatment for drug addiction. Or worse, maybe bi-polar disorder controlled with medication. This would be a perfectly normally functioning person having their life disrupted if the information were used outside of their medical treatment.
fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 19:27   #8
knutjb
Modder

knutjb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
At least they have brought in the FBI. Many entities try to keep computer transgressions under wraps to protect their "Image". The FBI has been frustrated from mostly the corporate world by not reporting the attacks. They have the ability to connect attacks to other attacks and track down for criminal prosecution, something a company cannot do.
knutjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 07:53   #9
B3CK
Supermodder

B3CK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ya, I would be a bit perturbed if they required my information, then allowed it to be taken. I would go for a years paid identity theft service, and if anyone did try to use it during the first year then an additional 3 yrs should be provided, paid for by the company that lost the data. I think they should be more embarrassed by the fact that this is the same university that developed BSD. right?