bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th May 2009, 12:06   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Dell launches Della site, for the ladies

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...r-the-ladies/1

Dell has announced and launched a new site that advertises PCs for ladies, under the name of 'Della'.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:25   #2
Angleus
Hypermodder

Angleus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Did no-one tell Dell there are no ladies on the internet?!
Angleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:27   #3
Seraphim2150
Non-Modder

Seraphim2150 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
seems a bit condecending
Seraphim2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:34   #4
DAVEtheRAVE
Procrastination

DAVEtheRAVE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim2150
seems a bit condecending
+1 Isn't society meant to be trying to move away from sexism?
Main Rig: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H . Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz . XFX GTX 260 XXX . Corsair Vengeance 16GB . Crucial M4 64GB . Seagate Barracuda 500GB . Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB . Corsair HX620 . Lian-Li PC7B plus . Dell U2412M . Samsung SM226BW
Secondary Rig: Asus P5Q-E . Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz . EVGA GT 640 . Corsair 8GB XMS2 . Seagate Barracuda 1TB . Corsair CX430M
DAVEtheRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:39   #5
Blackmoon181
Geography,Its not just colouring in

Blackmoon181 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
soon their marketing wizards shall aim for the teenagers and put massive flashing lights on their pc's. oh wait ...... XPS :P
Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45 - Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz - Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400C5 - XFX HD5870 - Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB - Antec Quattro 850W PSU - Antec 1200 - Titan Fenrir - Asus Xonar DX - BenQ VW2420H- Samsung SM-2253BW
Blackmoon181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:43   #6
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ah yes, because it's not about making computers more accessible to more people and making things easy and fast, it's about helping those silly women folk understand what to do with all them complicated buttons...

As Sarah Haskins says 'I am just a lady, with a simple lady mind.'.

Sorry Dell, Fail!
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba

Last edited by StephenK; 13th May 2009 at 12:52.
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:48   #7
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Clearly, Dell has replaced their entire Marketing and PR departments with a gang of blithering idiots in order to save money in the recession. And they came up with this...

Surely Dell would also have to create separate sections for men, transexuals, homosexuals, bisexuals, relix and those of any other sexual preference in order to appease the PC brigade and dispel fears of sexism?
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 13:20   #8
Ms_K
What's a Dremel?

Ms_K has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
But where's the part where our husband/boyfriend/father gives his permission for us to have a computer? My simple lady mind is so confused.

smc8788, I would love to be able to buy an L:GBTQell!
Ms_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 14:06   #9
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
this is such a joke

equal society my rear end. lol
Old 13th May 2009, 15:34   #10
TGImages
Grandpa

TGImages has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Obviously they are featuring the Mini notebooks since we all know that women won't be able to lift or carry a standard size notebook...

Could they be any more condescending with it?

yeah.... Dell. Fail!
TGImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 17:04   #11
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
i like the initiative... it gives those who are less technology inclined (mostly women (sorry Ms_K and others)) the chance of picking a laptop suited for their needs on a nice site, and not have to wade between zillions of different models and configurations. most girls i know pick a laptop based on the looks (most own a mac or vaio), and that is exactly what dell is playing on.

and about the sexist side, nobody is keeping me as a man from surfing on that site, and nobody is keeping me from buying something there... nobody is blaming dell for having an XPS site for another subgroup in this world's population: the gamers.

EDIT: only the name is a real fail. here in Belgium, it is a typical cow name.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:49   #12
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Two important questions, will the site crash once a month and are the servers pink?
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 18:11   #13
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If dell gets away with this there damn well better be a SHii coming out then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 18:12   #14
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
lol what about cwd's?
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 20:49   #15
caggles
What's a Dremel?

caggles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
i like the initiative... it gives those who are less technology inclined (mostly women (sorry Ms_K and others)) the chance of picking a laptop suited for their needs on a nice site, and not have to wade between zillions of different models and configurations. most girls i know pick a laptop based on the looks (most own a mac or vaio), and that is exactly what dell is playing on.
Oh ya, because most guys don't do EXACTLY the same thing (ie pick a laptop based on looks). The only difference between a guy and a girl when choosing a laptop is the salesperson takes a man's intelligence seriously and will explain the difference between two computers for a guy.

I happen to LIKE searching through zillions of different models and configurations.

I've just spent the past week going from store to store looking for parts for my new computer, and every time, I've had some salesman try to steer me away from the components, explaining to my small minded self that those aren't whole computers and that I want to be looking elsewhere (without, mind you, asking me what I'm looking for first). I'll never get tired of their expressions when I ask them if they have any Radeon 4890 video cards in stock. Is it really that shocking that a woman knows more about computers than they do?

I once had a job as an IT assistant at a school, and you know what I found? Girls would often encounter a problem, and when I showed them how to fix it, they'd learn from me and fix it themselves the next time. Guys, in the other hand, seemed to often have trouble with the idea of learning from a girl, and as a result paid no attention to me when I was fixing their problem and never learned a thing. I'd keep getting called back by the same guys over and over for the same problems.

So while non-tech savvy people (not just women) are often not interested in learning the subtle nuances of computer configuration, they usually do like to learn a little bit about the machine they're buying and the Della website does absolutely nothing to help them make an informed decision concerning which laptop is best for them.
caggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 00:02   #16
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Really!!!???

sorry but this is the dumbest thing I've heard all day
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 04:34   #17
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What a joke! There are plenty of professional women pc users out there and I seriously doubt they appreciate Dell's attempt at selling a home-maker pc. I thought we got past this after the 60's. WTF is Dell doing? I personally have had several professional bosses that were women and to be honest, they were a hell of a lot better than most of the male bosses I worked for. Dell should be ashamed of this...and they need to fire their marketing department.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 10:41   #18
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It may be a crap idea, but it sure has a lot of people talking about Dell... there's no such thing as bad publicity. Plus, I imagine a large number of people have visited the site just to see what it is like.

Looks to me like Dells marketing team have done pretty well!
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 15:43   #19
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Y'know, I would hardly regard the normal Dell website as a scary place for non-tech savvy people. They have pre-built PCs in a range of prices. Non-tech savvy people can decide if they want a normal Laptop or Desktop or a Gaming Pc. Then they can decide which pre-built one looks right for them. Simple.

If they want to go into the details, even just a little say, picking a bigger monitor/hdd then they can. I really think most non-tech savvy already see Dell as the friendly option. You pay what you can for the type of PC and they deliver it pre-built and ready to go. You can pay for an extended warranty to let the tech savvy types at Dell (arguable, but go with me on this) fix it when it's broken.
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 17:51   #20
Ape
Suck my barrel

Ape has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This does nothing to assist women in bringing about equality. 'Della' ... sounds like a hairdressers or whatever.

Incidentally does this mean the guys get a website called 'Dellroy' or whatever?
Ape is offline   Reply With Quote