bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th May 2009, 10:21   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...x-ssd-review/1

SSDs might have high read speeds covered, but writing data, especially random write speeds, has held many back. Today we look at OCZ's latest high speed SSD, the Vertex, to see if the addition of onboard cache and an ARM processor can allow SSDs to fulfil their true potential.

Old 15th May 2009, 10:39   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
I think when 100Gb+ SSD drives start hitting the £100 sweet spot many consumers are happy to spend on storage, we'll see the move away from mechanical drives. At the moment, I feel even though the drive is clearly very capable, £300 on storage is an awful lot for your average consumer to swollow.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 10:43   #3
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
I think when 100Gb+ SSD drives start hitting the £100 sweet spot many consumers are happy to spend on storage, we'll see the move away from mechanical drives. At the moment, I feel even though the drive is clearly very capable, £300 on storage is an awful lot for your average consumer to swollow.
Very true.

But it's finally a damn good product that works, as an SSD and as a replacement for a hard drive. If you're serious above performance - this is the bottleneck for many systems.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 11:15   #4
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
Sweet. Give it a few more years when all the bugs have been ironed out and (most importantly) the price has come down, then I'll buy one.
Old 15th May 2009, 11:17   #5
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
i have a feeling i will buy one of these early next year
Old 15th May 2009, 11:25   #6
mclintox
Eat cheese!

mclintox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Still too rich for my blood,I'm never in that much of a rush from cold boot.These are the way to go,no doubt about that but,for now mechanical disk drives will suffice.Those of you who must be at the bleeding edge,go for it if you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket.
mclintox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 11:50   #7
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice article - looks like an awesome device.
Quote:
Away from Iometer's synthetic tests and back firmly in the real world, the OCZ Vertex is just as fast, and with the latest firmware absolutely slaughters the competition when it comes to booting Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. With an incredibly impressive time of just 27 seconds from cold boot to fully functioning desktop, using the latest v.1.1 firmware it's a full 6.5 seconds faster than Intel's SLC based X25-E. Awesome.
This doesn't seem to match the graph, which suggests there is effectively nothing to separate them (0.3s). Can you clarify?
Old 15th May 2009, 12:25   #8
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
a very well done review, must have take ages to process all the bench tests. But rational thinking about the benefit of SSD verses costs;
Is it really that long to wait for a OS to start up or a game to load? No it is not, we doing it for years and those 20 seconds extra wont kill us.
is 120gb SSD cheap compared to the 1TB mechanical drives? No its not. If you are in a store and have to choose between a 327 pounds 120GB or a 100 pounds 1TB drive. We all will choose the 1TB without a doubt.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 12:31   #9
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
This doesn't seem to match the graph, which suggests there is effectively nothing to separate them (0.3s). Can you clarify?
Thanks for the spot, that's my mistake. The result commentary was based on results we retested and found to be incorrect. The revised numbers were added into the review, but I missed editing the commentary. fixed!
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 12:34   #10
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]a very well done review, must have take ages to process all the bench tests. But rational thinking about the benefit of SSD verses costs;
Is it really that long to wait for a OS to start up or a game to load? No it is not, we doing it for years and those 20 seconds extra wont kill us.
is 120gb SSD cheap compared to the 1TB mechanical drives? No its not. If you are in a store and have to choose between a 327 pounds 120GB or a 100 pounds 1TB drive. We all will choose the 1TB without a doubt.
Once you've used a decent SSD like the Vertex for an extended period of time, going back to a sluggish HDD seems like the difference between running and walking. Everything seems more response, especially in the legendarily slugish Vista, applications and programs open noticeably faster, browsing files and folders is quicker, the whole operating system experience is improved.

While it's not really possible to test this increased responsiveness, booting off of the SSD just made the whole system feel faster and more responsive. Is 300 a lot to pay for 120GB? Certainly, but you get a lot more than faster boot and game loads for your money.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 12:42   #11
tank_rider
Ultramodder

tank_rider has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great review and it's awesome to finally see a company sort out the controller side of things. As others have said, when I can get an OS size (100GB) or larger drive for 100 that'll be the tipping point for me to get one. By then performance should be absolutely eclipsing mechanical drives.
Main - e5200 @ 3.5GHz (akasa 965) || GA-EP31-DS3L || 2X2GB Crucial Ballistix || xfx GTX 260 || 500GB Seagate 7200.10 sata + 250GB Samsung sata + 160GB Samsung ide || NEC DVDRW || Enermax Liberty 400W || Antec P180 || 22" Fujitsu Siemems TFT
Media - X2 4400 @ 2.4GHz || Epox 9NDA3+ || 2GB RAM || 6800gs || 80GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 || LG DVD RAM || Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454
tank_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 13:01   #12
Grimloon
Usually bugnuts

Grimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]a very well done review, must have take ages to process all the bench tests. But rational thinking about the benefit of SSD verses costs;
Once you've used a decent SSD like the Vertex for an extended period of time, going back to a sluggish HDD seems like the difference between running and walking. Everything seems more response, especially in the legendarily slugish Vista, applications and programs open noticeably faster, browsing files and folders is quicker, the whole operating system experience is improved.

While it's not really possible to test this increased responsiveness, booting off of the SSD just made the whole system feel faster and more responsive. Is 300 a lot to pay for 120GB? Certainly, but you get a lot more than faster boot and game loads for your money.
Imagine switching from a 7,200 RPM SATA2 drive back to a 5,400 RPM PATA drive. The difference is very noticeable, believe you me! Also, while there's little or no difference between the early 10K Raptor drives and the newer 7.2 K SATA 2 drives there really was when they first came out. I haven't tried an SSD yet but it's definitely up there on the list of hardware to buy.
Grimloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 13:14   #13
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I'll agree that boot times on an SSD are impressive and while a decrease of 7 seconds to load a level in Crysis is nothing to sneeze at... the decrease in boot times is far more impressive than the load times of Crysis. 30 seconds? 37 seconds? Honestly, I'm not too bothered about seven seconds in game loads... although cutting OS boot times down by 50% would be very nice indeed.

When SSDs reach the 'sweet spot' of 1/GB, then I'll bite for a boot drive. Hell, if a drive of performance like this reaches 1.50-2/GB I might bite.

Also, while it's not really feasible, it would be good to have a '12 months later' review on these SSDs, to show that after 'normal' usage for 12 months, performance degrades... or not.

I think I'd be crying if I was booting from that Seagate 7200.10, though.
Old 15th May 2009, 13:18   #14
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter
I think I'd be crying if I was booting from that Seagate 7200.10, though.
Don't worry - I am!
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 13:49   #15
pizan
that's n00b-tastic

pizan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Update the US price, now $369.99 on ZZF... so tempting
Old 15th May 2009, 14:14   #16
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizan View Post
Update the US price, now $369.99 on ZZF... so tempting
It's listed as price as reviewed.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 14:49   #17
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA
Wow! Out of the box the Vertex is ludicrously fast when it comes to sequential read speed across the drive, with a scorching 153.5 MB/s!
I think you mean sequential write speed? The graph indicates that you're testing write speeds.

Otherwise, very nice article. If only I could justify one..
Old 15th May 2009, 14:49   #18
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can you actually use these 2.5" desktop SSDs in laptops, or are they slightly too big or power hungry?

This/these do seem rather good though. Interesting that the speed decreases with the new firmware in the Random Read Response Time (Maximum) graph, I really wouldn't have expected that as the newer one is faster in seemingly everything else.

Also, silly bit-tech with your screw drivers mishaps, I would have expected better from you!
Old 15th May 2009, 14:57   #19
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
random access times page 4 remove the hard disks from the chart or put the numbers out side the bars as your software that makes them is not very smart (back to reading now page 5)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 15:10   #20
Htr-Labs
The Audiophile

Htr-Labs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent review Harry! Thank you for this....I will now be purchasing the 60GB Mac version on Newegg.