bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th May 2009, 13:32   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Dell to launch Via-based server

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...based-server/1

Dell is set to launch a new server based around Via's low-power Nano chip, which packs twelve independent servers into a single 3.5" case.

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 13:45   #2
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is 2u really so mysterious they had to call it 3.5"? Or you just copying NYT?
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 13:51   #3
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
On a server that doesn't need to do any heavy database crunching, that should be pretty decent.
Old 18th May 2009, 13:56   #4
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds good, any idea of the specs?
Old 18th May 2009, 14:00   #5
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
love the idea i take it they will all individually power on and off but be powered from one psu.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:35   #6
DiegoAAC
Minimodder

DiegoAAC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I kind of remember some kind of encryption accelerator on Via's processors
DiegoAAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 14:36   #7
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I prefer this idea to using one bad-ass server and virtualisation.
I feel the latter is too much like putting all your eggs in one basket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 14:36   #8
Fruitloaf
Tinkerer

Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Bit slow on the post and light on the details but these things look frankly very nice.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05...does_via_nano/
Fruitloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 14:44   #9
Drexial
Supermodder

Drexial has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Disregard... reading comprehension failure.
Drexial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:06   #10
interzen
Real men use chainsaws.

interzen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoAAC
I kind of remember some kind of encryption accelerator on Via's processors
Yep - it'll do AES in hardware, and as a result will comprehensively spank some notionally faster processors on crypto-intensive applications.

El Reg's story (link above from Fruitloaf) is well worth a read - the spec looks pretty decent, and if something like this were available in a 'standalone' format I'd have a couple. Hell, were it not for the fact that our work IT budget is now practically non-existent I'm sure I could find rack space for a few of these ;-)
interzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 18:35   #11
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It is something I would like at home to be honest, but I guess it will be expensive.
I would rather go the virtualisation route. infact that is what I am doing right now at work. It is just so much easier to manage everything from my chair in a VirtualCenter rather than have to go and plug stuff in down in the server room. I have given several people at work login details for small web server images, 2 gig RAM and as far as they are concerned, its a dual core 3 gig processor to themselves. I know that its really shared with a dozen other virtual web servers. but performance is great and full redundancy and snapshot backups are in place.

in my opinion, this is the classic case of "when technology clashes" meaning 2 completly different paths of technology that can do the same thing. and to be honest, virtualization is just better in my eyes.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 23:07   #12
identikit
Ultramodder

identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.identikit is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftCarl View Post
It is something I would like at home to be honest, but I guess it will be expensive.
I would rather go the virtualisation route. infact that is what I am doing right now at work. It is just so much easier to manage everything from my chair in a VirtualCenter rather than have to go and plug stuff in down in the server room. I have given several people at work login details for small web server images, 2 gig RAM and as far as they are concerned, its a dual core 3 gig processor to themselves. I know that its really shared with a dozen other virtual web servers. but performance is great and full redundancy and snapshot backups are in place.

in my opinion, this is the classic case of "when technology clashes" meaning 2 completly different paths of technology that can do the same thing. and to be honest, virtualization is just better in my eyes.
Both have their good and bad points, but for what this product is aimed at, it's a direct hit. Low cost, low space, low power, lower total cost of ownership. Hell if I had the cash I'd be plonking it down for one of these and 2U of rack somewhere.
Lemonade Magazine | Folding @ Home | CPC & Bit-tech folding stats (team #35947)
identikit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 00:02   #13
MajestiX
Multimodder

MajestiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
2u blade server off the top of my head u can fit 16x3.5 inch drives in a 2u storage so looking at around 16 of these boards then connected to a storage server
MajestiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 08:17   #14
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
This server isn't to be launched for the general market, but is instead custom-built for a specific customer by Dell's DCS unit. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Dell would make a generic version if the design proves to be successful.
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 17:24   #15
B3CK
Supermodder

B3CK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Some of the smaller business companies would love this as well. I support a handful of companies that already had purchased a few servers expecting to have the reliability of high cost hardware and speed of the same; but were un-aware of the upkeep labor, power consumption, and noise of the older dell servers. I would love to push these out to our new customers. My business customers do not have more than 25 pc's but are between 15 -25. Rather than have a virtual high powered single machine, I would love to tinker with running all their server needs sans disk space, on one of these units with say 5 slots instead of 12. Have three to four up full time, but one down for emergencies.
Not to mention, this would save me money at my house for what I use my home server for.
Now that I think of it,, this would be perfect to replace my server at my house, except for the disk capacity. Perhaps they can come out with a slot that is for a HD that can swap sata to ethernet; or several sata to ethernet.