bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th May 2009, 10:04   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Dell: Windows 7 price a concern

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ce-a-concern/1

Dell's director of product management has openly admitted that the high price of Windows 7 compared to previous releases could hamper early adoption of the OS.

Old 19th May 2009, 10:11   #2
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
All that "higher average price" means is "they're not selling a home basic version any more" which is a very good thing, because home basic is rubbish.
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 10:16   #3
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
i was waiting for win7 too... but price will surely be a barrier to me. hope i can find a student licence or something...
and basic is rubbish indeed
Old 19th May 2009, 10:25   #4
Kasius
Bringing the dremolition

Kasius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How predictably ms
Old 19th May 2009, 10:31   #5
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

I am confused.

At what prices will W7 sell?

Not 100 for the "home" version, 150 for the "professional" version and 200 for the "kitchen-sink-included" version?
Old 19th May 2009, 10:44   #6
Taffy
Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

Taffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the DremelTaffy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
MS are not fools, by seeing the numbers taking up the "tryouts" for a year and getting used to it after the debacle of Vista then they have virtually a captive market, and can charge a premium that is why , at this moment, I have not installed the "free" version of 7 in my new build
Old 19th May 2009, 10:58   #7
fodder
Multimodder

fodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting comments coming from a company that charges the same for an opensource run machine as a Vista run machine.

(I like Dell BTW, just never been able to work that one out).
fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 11:03   #8
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sometimes I wish software developers started making more software/games for Linux. I've been seriously thinking about switching to Linux, really...I'm tired of M$ monopoly behaviour.
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 11:17   #9
decromin
What's a Dremel?

decromin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kúsař
Sometimes I wish software developers started making more software/games for Linux. I've been seriously thinking about switching to Linux, really...I'm tired of M$ monopoly behaviour.
Hmm .. M$, eh? I thought that meme died years ago ...

Oh, and woe be it for a company to set the price of it's software ...
decromin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 11:30   #10
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Is that the typical "But I wanted it cheaper!" talk you always get from someone?
Or is it Dell trying to make sure THEY can charge you more when you buy a WIn7 license?
Or did MS really raise their prices?

Wait, we'll all know at the end of the year! Goddamnit, calm down. MS won't charge you 50% more all of a sudden. Maybe 5%, and I'd pay 5% more for 7 than I'd have to pay for Vista....
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 11:36   #11
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I can see them raising the OEM prices as i'm sure the majority of people who bought vista purchased an OEM copy.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 11:48   #12
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kúsař View Post
Vote with your feet then. Seriously, I'm sick of people threatening to THINK about doing something, especially when it's something as superficial as an operating system choice! But nooo, it's made out to be a world-changing event that will HARM THE EVIL CORPORATIONS MORE THAN THEY CAN BEAR. Yes! You, fellow ubernerd, are our voice! By sounding your dissent you will bring balance to the force and strike a mighty blow for fair pricing everywhere! Or, you'll just sound like a whiny idiot. Try linux by all means, just don't feel like you need to loudly justify such a move with pithy excuses. Just shut the hell up and do it already, it's not a freaking huge deal.

Last edited by Fod; 19th May 2009 at 12:06.
Fod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 11:55   #13
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
Vote with your feet then. Seriously, I'm sick of people threatening to THINK about doing something, especially when it's something as superficial as an operating system choice! But nooo, it's made out to be a world-changing event that will HARM THE EVIL CORPORATIONS MORE THAN THEY CAN BEAR. Yes! You, fellow ubernerd, are our voice! By voicing your dissent you will bring balance to the force and strike a mighty blow for fair pricing everywhere! Or, you'll just sound like a whiny idiot. Try linux by all means, just don't feel like you need to loudly justify such a move with pithy excuses. Just shut the hell up and do it already, it's not a freaking huge deal.
QFT.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 12:30   #14
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OK, you're right. I have already seen Ubuntu in action and I'll give it a shot. It's fairly customizable and I really like it.
I didn't wan't to sound like anti-MS-fanboy, definitely not.
But you can't just boot Linux and play Crysis, can you? Maybe games developed by id software...
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 12:43   #15
b5k
Multimodder

b5k has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now, I consider my Ł80 odd I spent on XP Pro to be a worthy investment for how long I've used the license. I disagree with Microsofts business model in some ways, but damn they're successful. I would switch to Linux in a heart beat if it weren't for two things.
1) Games. I play ETQW and Quake Live which are made by id Software, so that's not a problem. It's running steam and the steam games with in that become a problem for me. I love L4D to bits. Not sure how Cadger (sp?) performs over XP, but it's more hastle than I currently have to go through to do my stuff.
2) Audio Applications. Linux has an array of Music Production tools, but I've been using Ableton Live for years now and I believe it's got the best innovation and creation system of any. Considering they haven't made a version for Linux yet, this is the true thing preventing my move. I need 100% assured compatibility with my audio hardware and software and that's why I stick to Windows.

It'd be lush if someone formed a complete standard across the operating system board (Nix, Mac, Win) that would mean any application could run on anything. Hopefully then the competition would come down to performance rather than compatibility...but until then I'll just have to "cope".
b5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 12:59   #16
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch424 View Post
All that "higher average price" means is "they're not selling a home basic version any more" which is a very good thing, because home basic is rubbish.
But none of the systems Dell sells actually ship with Home Basic - even their lowest end desktop and laptop models ship with Home Premium, so I don't see how that is the issue.
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 13:09   #17
thEcat
Multimodder

thEcat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm still waiting for a compelling reason to change from XP. All I'd get from upgrading the 20 something pc's at work is a major support headache, there would be zero benefit for the company. At home the situation is much the same, I have a copy of Vista, I built a pc especially for it and it sits unused. I have a dual boot XP/Win7 pc but I seldom have reason to boot Win7, indeed to me Win7 is to Vista what the new clothes were to the Emperor, scarcely enough improvement to cover its embarrassment.

A few things that would persuade me to make an early switch to Win7 on my main pc :
Seamless upgrade to avoid the hassle of installing my apps.
Price, say Home Premium Ł50, Ultimate Ł100. Anything over Ł100 and I have far better ways of spending my cash.
The mass abandonment of DX9 by the games industry.
Faultless XP and possibly Win98 emulation, granted the Virtual Machine technology may allow this but I'll wait the reviews.
thEcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 13:12   #18
gavomatic57
I Mod, Therefore I Own

gavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
MS are not fools, by seeing the numbers taking up the "tryouts" for a year and getting used to it after the debacle of Vista then they have virtually a captive market, and can charge a premium that is why , at this moment, I have not installed the "free" version of 7 in my new build

I'm not so sure. I've downloaded the RC, installed it, uninstalled it and went back to Vista. Windows 7's problem is that it is really just Vista with a KDE4-alike front end. I like Vista, but I've already paid for that. I'm not paying for it again.

I've already migrated mostly to Ubuntu, I just boot Windows to play games. When Vista support ends, I'm gone.
gavomatic57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 13:33   #19
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788 View Post
But none of the systems Dell sells actually ship with Home Basic - even their lowest end desktop and laptop models ship with Home Premium, so I don't see how that is the issue.
While this isn't indicative of what Dell sell direct... the Dell Inspiron systems that my local Tesco sell come with Vista Home Basic. I think they're a specific SKU for Tesco to flog to people who don't know better, though, as they're not a spec that you can buy on the Dell site.
Old 19th May 2009, 13:59   #20
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788 View Post
Yeah they do - just go to the dell site and click on the cheapest Inspiron 15 - it comes with home basic and they want Ł30 to upgrade it to home premium... I still see your point though - it doesn't affect many systems.