1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Will Windows 7 really cost more than Vista?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 May 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

All I want is to get a cheap upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

3. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I do hope I can afford Windows 7 Pro... I have a Wacom Intuos serial tablet that I hope to use with Windows XPM . This tablet is the main reason I can't upgrade to a 64-bit OS (wacom discontinued the serial drivers).
    I believe this may be the best way to solve my problem, since a new A4 tablet from Wacom costs a lot of money, and hopefully, more money that a new OS.

4. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

the best thing to do at the moment is to download the release candidate for ZERO cost and play it by ear until it expires in january or whatever

5. Comet

Comet What's a Dremel?

In my opinion increasing the price would be a very bad business choice.
    So far Windows 7 has a good hype going for it. But lets be honest.
    Windows 7 is just what it is, because Vista failed to reach expectations. Many people have been happy with Windows XP. Plus both the home and the business market are vary wary about in what way they waste their money. Windows 7 may be very good but for the price conscious person an increase in price and the possible media attention that may come due to that may just lead him to prefer to look elsewhere.

Imagine reading a Windows 7 review and the conclusion being something like this.
    "IF you're happy with what you can do with your current SO at current prices Windows 7 isn't worth upgrading to"

The initial reviews are life or death for many software. Specially operation systems

One good point to look at is Windows Vista. The system is much more stable now. I have little to no problem running my Windows Vista 64x. But now it is too late to turn things around.

6. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Having both installed I'm having trouble telling the difference, besides the new task bar it is basically the same. Isn't much quicker, benchmarks are the same or slower - CPC benchmarks - so GPU drivers are irrelevant. I paid over £200 for Vista Ultimate retail and I'm not inclined to do it again. I like Vista and 7 doesn't provide anything new or worth paying out another £200+. They could have provided the changes to Vista in a service pack and saved its disgruntled user base a few hundred quid. It may have even restored some faith in the company.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

The speed difference is on lower spec machines - I assume you've tested on a fairly high-end machine? Netbooks run Win7 pretty well, while Vista was an exercise of frustration.

8. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

open vmmreg32.dll in hex editor. The resource section says Windows Vista SP3!

9. barack

barack What's a Dremel?

may be it will little bit expensive but we can't say until and unless there is any official announce from microsoft about prices.This may be a just rumour also.

10. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

I've never seen any reason to buy retail which is why I always opt for OEM.

11. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I've tried it on my 1.6ghz dual-core laptop as well and it runs like a one-legged dog compared to Ubuntu that is normally on it. Was very frustrating and didn't stay on there long.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've found running Win7 on a netbook isn't too shabby actually...

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Odd, win 7 utterly flies along on my 1.2ghz dual core notebook.

14. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

If the upgrade price from Vista to Win 7 Home Premium is more than a Vista licence, i won't bother. Plus if i can't upgrade easily to a 64 bit version of it from a 32 bit version of Vista, i won't bother either.

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

huh all this time I have been hearing the opposite that Win 7 will be one of the more cost effective OSes to date but ehh who knows I have about 13 months with the RC1 so I will worry about it later lol...

16. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Agreed, I made the mistake of buying Vista 32bit (I didn't know the 4GB RAM limit) and thus the compelling reason for me to buy Win7 is the upgrade to 64bit, however if this isn't possible I will be sorely disappointed.

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'd Actually think it wouldn't be a bad idea to lower the prices a tad just to attract more people to the upgrade.

And as long as they have DX11, it'll be a really compelling upgrade.

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya Im running Windows 7 on my EeePC 1000he, it runs better then XP did on it and the wireless connection manager is a dream come true. I am running Easy Peasy 1.1 on there as well and ya it is faster lol but thats a duh given the type of interface it has compared to Win 7 but I must admit I prefer Win 7 over EP 1.1, oh and I have no video play back issues like before with sites like Hulu with the overweight flash they use.

19. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I fully expect the retail prices will stay at the same level, so retail buyers wont be put off. They could increase the price of their OEM licences, because if Dell customers are saying"I want Windows 7!" then dell don't really have a choice. Then they have the choice of either passing the cost on and then the customer feels that it's DELL that are ripping them off, or swallow the extra cost out of their profits.

Win-win for microsoft, lose-lose for dell, customers aren't really affected.

although I've never bought a retail licence for an operating system, OEM from scan every time - I've never once had a problem migrating from one motherboard to another with a friendly phone call to the lady in India. In fact, I don't think she even questioned me, just asked for the code, I told her, she told me a new code and it authorised with the new hardware.

20. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I think most Windows OSs are cost effective if you get the OEM licence. Average upgrade cycle 2-3 years say, lets be prudent and say 2. You get an OEM licence with your PC each time you upgrade / overhaul at about £70. That's £35 for a year for your entire operating system, with support and patches!

I have paid more for a computer game without the patches and the like.

I don't understand retail packages tho, especially at £300 or whatever for Vista Ultimate. You would be better off getting the OEM and just buying a new licence every time you change motherboard. Or as I said in the other post, just phone up and they will renew your OEM licence for free.

Tags: Add Tags