bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th May 2009, 15:48   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel demos Nehalem-EX octal-core CPU

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...re-processor/1

Intel yesterday demonstrated the next step forwards its Xeon CPU line will take with its eight-core, 16 thread Nehalem-EX processor.

Old 27th May 2009, 15:51   #2
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Mmmmm... threads.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:15   #3
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Coming to a Pixar studio near you soon. Don't need it, but want it
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 16:24   #4
Jozo
This is bit-tech

Jozo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will they ever stop putting more and more cores in CPUs??

It may be needed for high performance computing and such "pro" stuff. But I hope it never comes in our everyday desktops cause I'm gona go nuts.

BTW I think the link to the thread in the forums doesn't work.
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 16:29   #5
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How fast will the be able to go with stock cooling? People may be better off if they can overclock a quad core further, after all, not much uses eight cores.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 16:40   #6
MrGumby
CPC 464 User

MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Better write that letter to Santa James. This would be a folders wet dream!
MrGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 18:09   #7
tank_rider
Ultramodder

tank_rider has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good to see the march of technology continuing. People saying they have no need for anything more that quad core at the moment are probably the same people who said dual cores are plenty when quads were demo'd. We won't be getting to the too many cores sector until every thread has it's own core and as multi core is the way things are going software will very quickly take advantage of this. Takes me back to the days of upgrading to a dual core cpu and seeing my cfd computations take half the time, that was a very good day! I'm sure the F1 teams will be knocking at the door to get their simulation servers upgraded so they can simulate even more with the lack of in season testing now allowed!
Main - e5200 @ 3.5GHz (akasa 965) || GA-EP31-DS3L || 2X2GB Crucial Ballistix || xfx GTX 260 || 500GB Seagate 7200.10 sata + 250GB Samsung sata + 160GB Samsung ide || NEC DVDRW || Enermax Liberty 400W || Antec P180 || 22" Fujitsu Siemems TFT
Media - X2 4400 @ 2.4GHz || Epox 9NDA3+ || 2GB RAM || 6800gs || 80GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 || LG DVD RAM || Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454
tank_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 18:13   #8
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank_rider View Post
Good to see the march of technology continuing. People saying they have no need for anything more that quad core at the moment are probably the same people who said dual cores are plenty when quads were demo'd. We won't be getting to the too many cores sector until every thread has it's own core and as multi core is the way things are going software will very quickly take advantage of this. Takes me back to the days of upgrading to a dual core cpu and seeing my cfd computations take half the time, that was a very good day! I'm sure the F1 teams will be knocking at the door to get their simulation servers upgraded so they can simulate even more with the lack of in season testing now allowed!
Except for McLaren, who seem to be running their simulations on Wiis, given their performance this season.
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 18:14   #9
Von Lazuli
I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Von Lazuli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh! I want soo much...

As I sit here waiting 20minutes for a single frame render, I am desperately crying out for more threads...

Gimme Intel?
Old 27th May 2009, 18:21   #10
mrb_no1
Pie Eater

mrb_no1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbotab View Post
Except for McLaren, who seem to be running their simulations on Wiis, given their performance this season.
lolololol, awesome!

it may have limited applications for desktop users bit where cgi, simulations and any heavy calculations are required in supercomps, this kind of technology will always help things along.

peace

fatman
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3600Mhz ¦ Asus Maximus II Formula ¦ ATI Radeon 4890 (1000Mhz Core + 1200Mhz Mem OC) ¦ 2x2G Corsair Dom. PC 8500 @ 1080Mhz ¦ Aquacomputer WC ¦ Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty ¦ 150G Raptor, 2x1500 + 1x750 + 2x500 Seagate (SATA2) ¦ Pioneer DVD burner ¦ Lian Li - PC 73SL Aluminium Silent Server Case ¦ Dell 2007WFP 20" Widescreen ¦ Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers ¦ Sennheiser HD270
mrb_no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 18:46   #11
Goty
Supermodder

Goty has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Who wants to bet that it would be more cost effective to go with twice as many quad core CPUs than to shell out for this thing?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 19:56   #12
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^well, you would need twice as many motherboards, twice as many coolers and likely twice as much space. It might be cheaper with quad cores but I think it unlikely.
Old 27th May 2009, 20:42   #13
Dreaming
Supermodder

Dreaming has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank_rider
Have to say I had said to plenty of people that for the average person quad cores are more than they need and I stand by that.

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 9800GT OC 1GB | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B (with top blowhole mod) | | LG 32LH4000 + Samsung 226BW 22"
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 01:35   #14
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i wonder how much intel is going to have to pay the EU when it tries to sell these for $10000000 =D. anyways 16 threads.....goodness any guesses on how many seconds it takes this thing to benchmark on paint.NET? my bet is somewhere between 1 and 20.
Old 28th May 2009, 09:26   #15
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This weekend at Monaco I saw a McLaren's notebook with a Core i7 simbol... so... I just think it's a problem of aeroynamics with a bad chassis. Next year, maybe...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 15:02   #16
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Impressive stuff but as long as applications/games won't use more than 4 cores this is only interesting for render farms or number crunchers.

Still, me want.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 22:57   #17
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozo
Will they ever stop putting more and more cores in CPUs??

It may be needed for high performance computing and such "pro" stuff. But I hope it never comes in our everyday desktops cause I'm gona go nuts.
Simple answer: No. They're getting very close to the wall on how high they can make a single core run. But with die-shrinking going on all the time, they can still satisfy Moore's law by doubling the cores on a processor instead.

And that's why multithreaded development is the next big thing™ in computer programming these days.